Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to Nucks in SO, 2-1

Pencil stache over/under mole?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He wasn’t, Chiarot never wandered past Center of the ice (from board to board), because Danault was late on his blueline coverage of Horvat - had Chiarot not been there Horvat would’ve been able to skate care free towards Price. Chiarot played it right, picking up Gaudette would’ve been elite IQ anticipation (re: Lidstrom) play...

It’s hindsight but replay shows it perfectly

You should look at the replay. Chiarot wandered past the middle of the ice. He's almost at the right faceoffs dot. Stop the video at 3:27. He's a good stick past the middle of the ice and is in motion to the right so he has to stop his motion to the right and start skating toward the left.

Reactions: Runner77 and Rapala

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Still a hollow, shitty feeling about last night's loss. So close to a convincing 1-0 win and then it all turned to crap.

It would not have been a convincing win. Both goalies played very good and Price had posts on his side. The Habs did look like the better team,but the Canucks had equally good scoring chances.imo

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Chiarot drifts over way past center ice, he is almost in line with the faceoff dot in the circle before he decides to hustle back to try and cover Gaudette. All 5 of our players are on the right side of the ice and while I agree that there are blown assignments, there was no need for Chiarot to come over that far. There is more than enough coverage on Horvat between Weber and Danault. Chiarot being that far right gives Horvat a wide open passing lane that should not have been there.

I don't see how you get that "Horvat skates care free" anywhere. Weber had him and Danault was providing pressure on puck on the backcheck. To me this is 100% Chiarot. Reminded me of the game a few weeks ago where Kulak was defending directly behind Romanov.

yep, that’s right. Danault has to pressure the puck carrier there.

also, there’s only talk of chiarot’s lateral positioning. No mention of his depth.

if he noticed gaudette, which he likely didn’t, he could have positioned himself a little lower (closer to price). That way, he could cut off the lane to the net if gaudette were to get it, while still being in position to play the 2 on 1 if Weber were to get beat cleanly.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I swear every time I see Chiarot he's sliding across the ice in desperation

U0qfiOj.png

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Perfect picture , the worst duo of d-man in the league completely out on the play with mr Selke once again completely useless. 40 sec left in the game and that guy is wide open to score a goal on a 6v5.
Chariot and Danault complete useless on this play while Price could still have saved it. Everything went wrong in 5 sec , just shows you how fragile this team is.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
The thing is they probably practice shootouts in practice and those guys are the ones who score the most in that context.

That being said, it isn't that context. There are a lot of confidence factors mid-game that go into a player being successful in the shootout. Reward the 'hot' players and the players that are actually contributing to team success.
Just added to this... rewarding player success with a shot in the shootout is a win-win situation. Fans understand the decision even if it doesn't work out and are more likely to think that the goalie was just better than the player.

Less scrutiny on the coach from a fan/critic perspective and just a better decision overall. More likely to succeed.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Who are the Habs wingers on that pic -- Anderson and Drouin?

With 44 seconds left in a one goal game, who would you say would have been the best choices to have as wingers in that situation?
They extended their shifts Suzuki did not.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
with the game on the line, Tatar gets cute.

bench him

I think he thought he could surprise the goalie and score like that.

I'd rather him try something and fail, than fail from choking a la Drouin. This isn't the first time Drouin can't manage to get a shot on net on a penalty shot. He's a headcase, unfortunately.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
As usual Bergy over evaluated his roster. He thought that KK,Suzuki and Romanov would be able to do what he envisioned they would be able to do but they have fallen short of expectations so far.

If they hadn't switched gears after the play-ins last seasons, these players would have been given a greater opportunity to develop, rather than being counted upon for results. The results will come but to expect that these players wouldn't have some growing pains, is ridiculous if that's what MB really banked on -- esp. that two of them are playing C, the most important position on any team.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was looking for a tweet about the line changes after hearing it on TSN690 but couldn't find one so thanks for posting. I like the changes. The defense pairings are still the same though. :(

How are they not noticing or acknowledging that a change is needed in respect of Chiarot? Why not put him on third pairing.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I mean people can say it was Danault’s man, but the fact is an intelligent defenceman would recognize that his centre is out of position and would adapt. You see two guys around the puck carrier and they already have an extra player on the ice. Why are you also going towards the puck carrier?

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Perfect picture , the worst duo of d-man in the league completely out on the play with mr Selke once again completely useless. 40 sec left in the game and that guy is wide open to score a goal on a 6v5.
Chariot and Danault complete useless on this play while Price could still have saved it. Everything went wrong in 5 sec , just shows you how fragile this team is.
but... but... i thought we had dep? :(

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad