Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to Leafs. Extended winning streak ends at 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-4-29_8-23-31.png

Reactions: DXStriker

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The only thing that will save Bergevin is if the kids jump forward. Molson better not extend Bergevin this offseason. I would be OK with him as a lame duck GM heading into next year and I would only consider an extension at the half way point. The last time he was extended, it was with 1.75 years left on his previous contract. Stupid timing by Molson there. Cause right after Bergevin was extended, it went down hill very fast starting with Price's injury. Firing someone who has not even started his new contract yet and has 1 year left on the previous one is something almost no owner does

Trades and signings are decent. The youth is how we get out of our hole and Bergevin's job depends on it.

Ohh gawd no...time to cut the loses and dump Bergevin. He has done nothing for this team at the end of the day. You judge a team by wins and Cups and the team is no closer to a Cup today as it was the day he got the GM job. How many years, how many chances do you give this guy? He always has excuses but never results.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ohh gawd no...time to cut the loses and dump Bergevin. He has done nothing for this team at the end of the day. You judge a team by wins and Cups and the team is no closer to a Cup today as it was the day he got the GM job. How many years, how many chances do you give this guy? He always has excuses but never results.

I don't care about Bergevin's popularity or lack their of. I care about the Habs. I don't think Bergevin is going to get desperate and trade futures cause there is no sign of it. So until we find a proven competent GM, I'm ok with him for the rest of this year and half of next year.

My point was if he gets extended... it better be around Dec/Jan of next year. Not this summer or after the 1st month of the season.... like last time. It's not about what I want, it's about what I think Molson is thinking or should consider

We are at a critical part with our young core. Suzuk, KK, Romanov, Caufield, Primeau, Poehling, Guhle. As long as they stay and we continue to stock pile picks, it's a good direction when we look down the road. What happens for the rest of this year and half of next season will reveal a lot

I honestly see more of the same for the next 2 years. Then I see another reset or mini rebuild. Some want it now and that's fair but I think it's coming regardless. Just a matter of timing

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I know the options are very limited but you can't keep Weber and Chiarot together.. almost every time coverage breaks down, it's 6 and 8 out there with no ability to read the play if they can't cross check or hold osmeone against the boards.

On top of Chiarot's ridiculous usage, I don't understand how none of the coaches tell him to stop thinking he's Bobby Orr and to stop trying to join every rush. 90% of the time he reads the play wrong causing an odd-man rush the other way, and the rare chance he gets a scoring opportunity he throws a soft wrister at the goalie from the half boards.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I know the options are very limited but you can't keep Weber and Chiarot together.. almost every time coverage breaks down, it's 6 and 8 out there with no ability to read the play if they can't cross check or hold osmeone against the boards.

Thing is, we are so F***ed with only 8 games or so left. HowTF are we going to build any chemistry with defense or offense at this point? The time to figure out Weber's partner was while Chiarot was out. It just boggles the mind as those two were struggling before Chiarot got hurt and now that he's back, let's just pair them up again!

I get KK needs to be more consistent and Suzuki seems to be hot and cold but our garbage system requires centers to support our slow ass D low in our zone. Sure, let's just ask a couple developing 20-year olds to compensate for a bunch of defencemen who can't skate or pass.

Now that I said all that, I'd do:

Kulak/Edmundson - Petry
Merril - Weber
Chiarot - Romanov

Freaking sad now that I am looking at that... we have absolutely no first pairing defencemen... smh...

Side note about chemistry. Loved Suzuki's comment about playing with Caufield, something along the lines of "IF we play together again". Even the players are confused.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
That's my concern. The bar is set so low that Molson may see them making the playoffs as a win. If that is the case, then we know for certain they don't care about winning a cup but rather satisfied being a bubble team for ever. If that is the case, I can honestly say, along with the politics of this team, I am done with them. Rather become a Kracken fan or something.

This all coming from a fan since I was 4 years old. They pretty much killed all the remaining passion I once had for this team.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
On top of Chiarot's ridiculous usage, I don't understand how none of the coaches tell him to stop thinking he's Bobby Orr and to stop trying to join every rush. 90% of the time he reads the play wrong causing an odd-man rush the other way, and the rare chance he gets a scoring opportunity he throws a soft wrister at the goalie from the half boards.

1. Excellent username
2. Excellent avatar
3. Yes, 100% agreed.. the fact that we struggle so hard to get it into the other team's zone, only to have Weber, Chiarot, Merrill and Edmundson through a shitty shot or dump in deep to lose possession is mind boggling.

Thing is, we are so F***ed with only 8 games or so left. HowTF are we going to build any chemistry with defense or offense at this point? The time to figure out Weber's partner was while Chiarot was out. I just boggles the mind as those two were struggling before Chiarot got hurt and now that he's back, let's just pair them up again!

I get KK needs to be more consistent and Suzuki seems to be hot and cold but our garbage system requires centers to support our slow ass D low in our zone. Sure, let's just ask a couple developing 20-year olds to compensate for a bunch of defencemen who can't skate or pass.

Now that I said all that, I'd do:

Kulak/Edmundson - Petry
Merril - Weber
Chiarot - Romanov

Freaking sad now that I am looking at that... we have absolutely no first pairing defencemen... smh...

Side note about chemistry. Loved Suzuki's comment about playing with Caufield, something along the lines of "IF we play together again". Even the players are confused.

There's been no sustainable anything other than the defensive pairings which suck anus.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
They better win against the Jets cause the game against Ottawa wont be easy. A fully rested young team with nothing to lose and everything to gain looking to create havoc against an old defense playing a 2nd game in 2 days, a 3rd game in 4 days and a 6th game in 8 days. This could go wrong if our goalie has an off night.
They will not win against the jets

Reactions: sandviper

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
How many times has MB said “It’s on me.”? Seems like it’s at least once per season. At what point is it on Molson for keeping him around this long? MB himself seems know it’s his fault this team sucks. When will Molson wake up and realize it too?

Reactions: beowulf and ArtPeur

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
They will not win against the jets

While I tend to agree, if there's a time to beat the Jets, it's now. Ehlers had I think 9 points against us this season, so that's one Habs killer we won't have to deal with. Hellebuyck has lost his last 5, six of his last 7 and has only posted a .900+ three times in that span.

I mean, they are still a better team, especially their forwards, but if we're going to snatch 2 points from them, now is the time.

Reactions: habsfan891

Julien LG

Dec 16, 2018
i understand the special year and all. But i mean... 1 st game after a long road trip, + 4 games a week + a 3 days break opponent + 1st goalie out + both top line wingers out (at least on paper at the start of the year) + Drouin (i understand he was not doing much but we now know why and the guy was still a top6 early on this year) and Byron.

No wonders the wins are hard to come by. It wont be easier for the next few games.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
That's my concern. The bar is set so low that Molson may see them making the playoffs as a win. If that is the case, then we know for certain they don't care about winning a cup but rather satisfied being a bubble team for ever. If that is the case, I can honestly say, along with the politics of this team, I am done with them. Rather become a Kracken fan or something.

This all coming from a fan since I was 4 years old. They pretty much killed all the remaining passion I once had for this team.

There is no way he gets fired now with losses from COVID. Molson won't want to take on another GM contract now.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I don't care about Bergevin's popularity or lack their of. I care about the Habs. I don't think Bergevin is going to get desperate and trade futures cause there is no sign of it. So until we find a proven competent GM, I'm ok with him for the rest of this year and half of next year.

My point was if he gets extended... it better be around Dec/Jan of next year. Not this summer or after the 1st month of the season.... like last time. It's not about what I want, it's about what I think Molson is thinking or should consider

We are at a critical part with our young core. Suzuk, KK, Romanov, Caufield, Primeau, Poehling, Guhle. As long as they stay and we continue to stock pile picks, it's a good direction when we look down the road. What happens for the rest of this year and half of next season will reveal a lot

I honestly see more of the same for the next 2 years. Then I see another reset or mini rebuild. Some want it now and that's fair but I think it's coming regardless. Just a matter of timing
Oy and that's how the Habs have spent the last 20+ years in complete mediocrity. Let's just hope the current bad GM can hold the fort while the team does nothing on the ice.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oy and that's how the Habs have spent the last 20+ years in complete mediocrity. Let's just hope the current bad GM can hold the fort while the team does nothing on the ice.

I like our youth and prospect pool. It's one of the strongest I have seen in many years. But still work to do. Bergevin or not, as long as we continue to focus on stock piling pick and drafting well, we will be on a good path. Still need to draft that star though

I'd be open to hiring a Yzerman or Sakic but there are only so many of them. I'm not a Bergevin lover as much as some think I am. I honestly don't care who the GM is as long as they don't touch our futures

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
While I tend to agree, if there's a time to beat the Jets, it's now. Ehlers had I think 9 points against us this season, so that's one Habs killer we won't have to deal with. Hellebuyck has lost his last 5, six of his last 7 and has only posted a .900+ three times in that span.

I mean, they are still a better team, especially their forwards, but if we're going to snatch 2 points from them, now is the time.
Habs are a cure for struggling goalies. They’ll get smacked again. It’s what happens when you can’t score

Reactions: habsfan891

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Hey I know the feeling, starting to feel old, I was 17 when the Habs last won the Cup in '93 and I got to attend all but a couple of games at the old Forum during that Cup run. It was magical and just amazing, the energy, the overtime games. Maybe younger fans don't get that since the team has not made the finals since that Cup win and I think they reached two conference finals since then only to lose both.

This organization has been a mess, from the mistake of putting Peanut and Blueberry in charge of the teams fortunes, even though neither had experience as GM of Coach and then keeping them in place far too long...which is what is happening with Bergevin right now.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Habs looked flat but I felt things could have been different. I stand firm and it's not a silly exercise. We could have easily lost against the Flames the other night for opposite reasons.

It's not about luck or unlucky or whatever spin you are trying. It's about context on how the game goes. Actual players will tell you the same thing. But you continue with your Habs suck and we deserved the lost narrative. We are not allowed to look at any context cause we are cranky today with a lost. :laugh:

Suzuki spoke on the unlucky bounce after the 1st. Do you think Suzuki is an idiot or is being silly? I like to see you try make fun of Suzuki?
The Habs do suck though.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I don't consider a team from 10-15 range as a team that sucks (yes we are 17th at the moment). We have issues and flaws yes. Don't let your frustration get to you and exaggerate things

Since there hot start they’ve been really bad. From Feb. 3 on their record is 14-17-7. That’s 25th best in the NHL since that date. They are 4-9 in the past 13 games with 23 goals. I don’t see how this team is in the upper half of the NHL. They are just lucky they are not in a division this season with Tampa, Boston, and Florida.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Chiarot is not our problem. Not even close!

Reactions: Habby4Life

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Since there hot start they’ve been really bad. From Feb. 3 on their record is 14-17-7. That’s 25th best in the NHL since that date. They are 4-9 in the past 13 games with 23 goals. I don’t see how this team is in the upper half of the NHL. They are just lucky they are not in a division this season with Tampa, Boston, and Florida.

Oh I know. It's been a struggle after the 1st month for sure. It's going to continue cause we lack puck possession players. Who's the next best after Petry? Both at Forward and on D?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Borderline playoff team...

They are who some of us thought they were. The terrible approach to the offseason fooled some, but the roster flaws and poor spending decision making were clearly visible before the first puck drop.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I don't consider a team from 10-15 range as a team that sucks (yes we are 17th at the moment). We have issues and flaws yes. Don't let your frustration get to you and exaggerate things

My issue is that lately, we do suck. We're 13-16-7 in our last 36 games, and 5-10 in our last 15 games. I'm all for looking at the bright side of things and being a glass half full type of guy, but any way you look at it, that record sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad