Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to Jets in OT.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't think he's staying wing long term and he looks way better at center than he does on the wing.

It's a development program and a big key to development is confidence. Dach is getting all kinds of offensive confidence playing with two elite players.. which we just don't have any more to go around.
This is my take also. There is no real pain playing top line minutes with Suzuki and Caufield. This management group wouldn't make that move without explaining to Dach their reasoning. He will progress just fine on that wing and the intention is always to get him back centering his own line when the time is right. As you rightly pointed out we have far too many gaps to put up three very solid lines. I think we have two with two natural centers playing wing.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
I cut cable 10 years ago, sometimes the illegal stream is better in french, and sometimes when it is they keep playing RDS after the game is over and I watch antichambre.

How the f***.. is Gaston.. still getting paid to give his opinions. I thought the 2009 RIS draft show would've made him unemployable
What stream? Send link

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is my take also. There is no real pain playing top line minutes with Suzuki and Caufield. This management group wouldn't make that move without explaining to Dach their reasoning. He will progress just fine on that wing and the intention is always to get him back centering his own line when the time is right. As you rightly pointed out we have far too many gaps to put up three very solid lines. I think we have two with two natural centers playing wing.

It's possible Suzuki and Caufield said to MSL... why not try Dach with us? We tried everyone else :laugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I've spoken this a lot over the summer. Not going there again cause it will be a distraction. I have my information and it's not a secrete. I do believe he wants to play in Montreal. You don't have to agree and pretend this is just bait for him to get a big contract. I don't see it that way. He's told his own teammates this summer he wants to play for Montreal one day. This coming after he tells the Jets he will explore his UFA options in 2 years. This is not a far fetched idea.

Beck is not ready for NHL yet. Way too premature. He plays a solid game and had a great camp but he's going to need a season or two of more development. Playing center in the NHL is a big deal. I have faith in Beck but our fan base saying he is already NHL ready is premature.
You didn't answer my question about contract it's very important. PLD may want something but so does HuGo. As far as Beck goes you can't know that. No one predicted Suzuki would be ready until he was. My take stands if Beck is strong enough he can make this team as early as next season. You can't tell me he isn't better than Evans because he is AINEC.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You didn't answer my question about contract it's very important. PLD may want something but so does HuGo. As far as Beck goes you can't know that. No one predicted Suzuki would be ready until he was. My take stands if Beck is strong enough he can make this team as early as next season. You can't tell me he isn't better than Evans because he is AINEC.

We cross that road with Dubois when we get there (if we get there). Simple as that. If he really does want to play in Montreal, a $8M AAV contract similar to Suzuki is fair. If he wants more and to max his AAV, let him try with other teams.

Beck is 18. Suzuki started in the NHL at age 20 on wing. Point is another one who started in the NHL at age 20 and it was in a sheltered role.

Beck is a possible center solution for a few years down the road. He's not going to be NHL ready to play 2C next year or the year after. Possible but not likely. I believe in Beck but it's going to be a process.

Reactions: Canad13ns

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I know, but Ottawa lost again tonight, so we're now 3 pts up on them and 5 pts up on Columbus and the other bottom feeders. Separation is going the wrong way.
71 games left...I always watch and hope the Habs win but I am also a realist. This team is young and the intensity will continue to ratchet up. They could very well still get a bottom 5 pick.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Rush [Habs Top Prospect] to the NHL because the AHL team is too chaotically bad

Hmm I thought HuGo were meant to change things?

Slaf on pace for 20 points.

Rushing a prospect isn't what you think it is. You rush a guy if you want him to play a bigger role than he's ready for. He's not. Do you know what will happen if you send him in the AHL? With the start that those guys are having he will be EXPECTING to lead the team. And have a shitload of points. In a team badly coached, with overrated players, and in a league filled with guys who want nothing more than to teach a 1st overall a lesson.

If that's your view of doing him a favor, you are wrong. Yeah, HuGo are meant to change things....though they were given their AHL head coach and wanted to see him work. Now they know. But it's one thing to replace him, you need the right guy to do so. Might not be the time. Yet, frankly, aside from Barron, there's nothing down there worth panicking about. I liked the Mysak pick, but seeing him evolve, I don't see him as NHL'er. Even RHP, the mini Gallagher is struggling right now. Aside from Barron, there's nothing down there worth panicking about their progression.

So send Slaf down there if you want. I'm saying it's not the answer.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Rushing a prospect isn't what you think it is. You rush a guy if you want him to play a bigger role than he's ready for. He's not. Do you know what will happen if you send him in the AHL? With the start that those guys are having he will be EXPECTING to lead the team. And have a shitload of points. In a team badly coached, with overrated players, and in a league filled with guys who want nothing more than to teach a 1st overall a lesson.

If that's your view of doing him a favor, you are wrong. Yeah, HuGo are meant to change things....though they were given their AHL head coach and wanted to see him work. Now they know. But it's one thing to replace him, you need the right guy to do so. Might not be the time. Yet, frankly, aside from Barron, there's nothing down there worth panicking about. I liked the Mysak pick, but seeing him evolve, I don't see him as NHL'er. Even RHP, the mini Gallagher is struggling right now. Aside from Barron, there's nothing down there worth panicking about their progression.

Very good argument actually. Thank you, make a lot of sense re: the AHL. Do you think JRs or Europe is therefore the answer?

@Andy your response is appreciated as well. I'm writing a longer post and will share it with you, hope you will see the structure of my perspective.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
We have to give something to Monahan. He's got nobody to play with. What is going on here?
The only guys he could play with are Anderson and Slaf and maybe Evans if we got with speed only. And Andy/Evans IQ is limited, so I'm not even sure if this would be effective.

Anderson is needed to make Dvorak works because he can't skate so you don't solve anything by moving him to Monahan's wing. Slaf might not be ready yet for long term middle 6 duties and he too needs a speedy linemate.

They other option is moving Evans to Dvorak or Monahan wing, but in this case the team needs to acquire an NHL 4th line caliber center since Dach is working with CC and Suzuki.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019

I see your point but no matter what people say there is always the contract situation hanging over the GM/ coaches heads. You don't want a 3-5 M a year player up in the press box every game. I get play your best players but then you have decisions to make if you want all youth; its still a gamble with these rookies and once the glamour wears off and the long season starts to kick in. Right now its all easy and fun. Just a big game of wait and see.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We have to give something to Monahan. He's got nobody to play with. What is going on here?
The only guys he could play with are Anderson and Slaf and maybe Evans if we got with speed only. And Andy/Evans IQ is limited, so I'm not even sure if this would be effective.

Anderson is needed to make Dvorak works because he can't skate so you don't solve anything by moving him to Monahan's wing. Slaf might not be ready yet for long term middle 6 duties and he too needs a speedy linemate.

They other option is moving Evans to Dvorak or Monahan wing, but in this case the team needs to acquire an NHL 4th line caliber center since Dach is working with CC and Suzuki.

Evans - Monahan - Slaf

You said it, Slaf and Evans would do. Evans is a quality winger. He was one of our best players in the playoffs before the Sheifele hit when he played wing with Danault and Gallagher.

MSL has to try it. Another good option if he's really going to try to get a 2nd good offensive line going is Dvorak on the wing in the top 6. Dvo has great hands. I have him as our 4th best offensive forward after Suzuki, Caufield and Monahan.

Krett Bulak

Jun 21, 2010
Brutal game by Kovacevic. Was trying to do too much against his former team and it hurt his game so bad.

Bad penalties by Pitlick as well might earn him a game or two on the press box.

Overall, It was a fun game to watch but frustrating as well to see the young guns work so hard with absolutely no support from Vets like Armia and Dvorak as usual.

Drouin showed really good flashes these last 2 or 3 games. I'd keep him in, he's the only one of the three scrubs who mights really fetch a return at the TDL.

And finally.... Josh Anderson.... what a North-South player.... Skates fast but has absolutely NO VISION. It's frustrating to watch him TBH.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
71 games left...I always watch and hope the Habs win but I am also a realist. This team is young and the intensity will continue to ratchet up. They could very well still get a bottom 5 pick

Beside Suzuki, Caufield and Monahan somewhat, the team is BAD up front. D has been surprisingly decent.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Armia was once again puck watching as Dubois rifled that shot in.Can't fu#&ing stand watching him play anymore,so frustrating.
100% agree with you how frustrating Armia is to watch float around when we know that when he decides to play he can be so effective. My point is that 1\7 of games Armia decides to turn it on = better than both Hoffman and Dadonov combined that never show up.
I would prefer to move Armia and let a kid in Laval come up because I’ve always felt that our AHL team are trash at developing players. Always scared to leave prospects there for too long.
I hope I’m wrong and someday wee see Barron, RHP or Ylonen develop into nhl”ers.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Beside Suzuki, Caufield and Monahan somewhat, the team is BAD up front. D has been surprisingly decent.

Yeah, it's interesting how many thought the forwards with all the depth would be the strongest point heading into the seaosn...

I think we need to load up the top 6 with our best offensive players. We have too many mediocre forwards offensively. Keep them in the bottom 6 and put our six best offensive players in the top 6:

Suzuki, Caufield, Monahan, Dach, Dvorak, Slaf. (maybe Evans in Dach's place if you really want to keep Dvorak as your defensive 3c). But I think getting Dvorak in the top 6 will increase his point total, and thus his trade value, and thus give us a better shot at Bedard, Fantelli, and Mishkov.

Reactions: The Real Timo

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You remove Anderson from the Dvorak line....then what?

I wouldn't change too much at the moment. They are playing competitive hockey and more competitive than most fans in our herd expected.

Yeah, it's interesting how many thought the forwards with all the depth would be the strongest point heading into the seaosn...

I think we need to load up the top 6 with our best offensive players. We have too many mediocre forwards offensively. Keep them in the bottom 6 and put our six best offensive players in the top 6:

Suzuki, Caufield, Monahan, Dach, Dvorak, Slaf. (maybe Evans in Dach's place if you really want to keep Dvorak as your defensive 3c). But I think getting Dvorak in the top 6 will increase his point total, and thus his trade value, and thus give us a better shot at Bedard, Fantelli, and Mishkov.

Remember last season? Best winger depth in the NHL? I know I fell for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad