Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to Jets in OT.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
He was drafted for his tools and the projection.

We'll have to wait and see if he'll manage to reach those projections.
Kostitsyn was drafted for his tools too.

If there's nothing to discuss and we have to just wait until five years from now to validate what's plainly obvious (Slaf rushed into the NHL, Habs bungling his development), then that's very boring and predictable isn't it?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I will say that Pitlick had some bad calls against him but he doesn’t seem to be reading the ice well this year. He’s a step behind or out of the play most of the time.
Pitlick had bad advanced stats and good puck luck last year. Plus he played his heart out on a bad team, a bit like Pez, and looked good relative to the rest of the team. He’s a fourth liner at best if the team is good.

On the flip side do you think there’s any chance Gallagher wouldn’t have been penalized immediately if he had made a play like the one on the Jets second goal?

Reactions: Canad13ns

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Kostitsyn was drafted for his tools too.

If there's nothing to discuss and we have to just wait until five years from now to validate what's plainly obvious (Slaf rushed into the NHL, Habs bungling his development), then that's very boring and predictable isn't it?
Dude are we literally going to have to hear you whine every single damn day for the next few years? Christ.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Dude are we literally going to have to hear you whine every single damn day for the next few years? Christ.
Slaf played 10 shifts and 8minutes last night.

What the F is the point of tanking and enduring these miserable losses (like against the Wild) if we're just going to ram prospects into the meat grinder and never manage to have in our possession actually productive talent?

Last edited:

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Xhekaj 9 hits :heart:
Have you noticed there seems to be a trend now that opponents do not put pressure on the forecheck on his side ? That’s one of the intangibles whatshamcallit that he also brings. He is clearly feared already at this early stage of his career. I’m also happy for Eddy’s comeback; he brings nastiness on his side too.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
So what. He’s 18. He’s been acknowledged as a project by literally everyone. Just stop man. It’s irritating. We get it, you don’t believe in him. Repeating it every single day, multiple times a day won’t make you right. You’re just spamming everything thread. Stop
Should project prospects be rammed into the NHL as teenagers? In your opinion, does it help them become better players?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So what. He’s 18. He’s been acknowledged as a project by literally everyone. Just stop man. It’s irritating. We get it, you don’t believe in him. Repeating it every single day, multiple times a day won’t make you right. You’re just spamming everything thread. Stop

I've said it before and will say it again.... there is no "I told you so" Award for the fans or media. Fans and media in Montreal need to understand this cause all it does it create more noise.

Slaf has not come in right away and dominated. A small part of most of us were wondering but that is not in the cards. This is yet again another long term development project and we need to let management mange his situation.

If the AHL had more young talent and a good young center for Slaf to play with, I'd be saying he should go to the AHL. However, I feel he might drown down in Laval and it might be negative development. Having him around MSL and the rest of the youth on our team is not a terrible development plan.

Reactions: hvac412

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I find Pitlick had a harder time than Armia tonight.

Pitlick has not been good this year so far. Drouin is playing better than him IMO and that's saying something. Armia is a solid forward. I'd keep him. He doesn't do well in the bottom 6 when playing with plugs but there are some good evidence he can be a good forward if he had good players to play with.

If I had to rank our 25+ forwards who could be traded...
* Anderson
* Monahan
* Dvorak
* Armia
* Hoffman
* Byron
* Drouin
* Pitlick
* Dadonov

And yet, they are both a major upgrade to Hoffman and Dadonov

I would not group Hoffman and Dadonov. Dadonov has been very bad. Hoffman has been alright. Nothing to brag about but Pitlick is not playing better than Hoffman.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Should project prospects be rammed into the NHL as teenagers? In your opinion, does it help them become better players?
There is no rule. There is only case by case instances. Slaf doesn’t look out of place and has been visibly improving game to game. Until he hits a wall, I see no reason to adjust. To think there is a one size fits all approach is naive and immature.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I don't know who it is, 'cause I have them ignored.. but I suggest you do the same.

The fact that they are still being negative when he's just played his best 3 games, and continues to show improvements in all facets of the game at 18.. just shows that there's no thought process or analysis involved, they are committed to a take they had on a stat page during their draft year.

The funniest thing about all of it is that outside of Cooley who's in the NCAA.. the alternatives, specifically the favorite Shane Wright - who was supposed to have the higher floor and be more NHL ready - have all fared significantly worse than Slafkovsky.

We drafted a project and that project has started ahead of the curve of those who were supposedly in a better starting position.

That's the funniest thing, they can't even argue anything in good faith or in proper context.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I felt last night was a good competitive game and fast tempo. Both teams brought it! Habs could have easily won this game.

Monty was very good.
Love Dach with Suzuki/Caufield
I do like Anderson with Gallagher.
Monahan is clearly getting more comfortable with us and he's skating very well
Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris just doing their thing and improve game/game.

Coming out of this one with a 1 was a good thing. Jets came at us hard in their home game.

It's not but if he's going to be a winger we yet again need a 2c which is kind of frustrating.

PLD... going to force his way to UFA and if the Jets want to trade him to get value before he walks... good luck! PLD will refuse to do sign/trade with anybody except the Habs.

Beck is likely 2 years away.

Imagine if we just didn't sign Hoffman and Armia and retained Danault? Very stupid move by Bergevin and the Habs fan base who trashed Danault as a 2C need to eat crow for this. We would have not had to trade for Dvorak and an extra 1st rounder would be in our prospect pool today.

Reactions: Canad13ns

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's not but if he's going to be a winger we yet again need a 2c which is kind of frustrating.

I don't think he's staying wing long term and he looks way better at center than he does on the wing.

It's a development program and a big key to development is confidence. Dach is getting all kinds of offensive confidence playing with two elite players.. which we just don't have any more to go around.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
I felt last night was a good competitive game and fast tempo. Both teams brought it! Habs could have easily won this game.

Monty was very good.

Coming out of this one with a 1 was a good thing. Jets came at us hard in their home game.

PLD... going to force his way to UFA and if the Jets want to trade him to get value before he walks... good luck! PLD will refuse to do sign/trade with anybody except the Habs.

Imagine if we just didn't sign Hoffman and Armia and retained Danault? Very stupid move by Bergevin and the Habs fan base who trashed Danault as a 2C need to eat crow for this. We would have not had to trade for Dvorak and an extra 1st rounder would be in our prospect pool today.
I dont like relying on a maybe to fill such an important spot but in the event Dubois does come here it would be an instant significant improvement to our forward line

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
I don't think he's staying wing long term and he looks way better at center than he does on the wing.

It's a development program and a big key to development is confidence. Dach is getting all kinds of offensive confidence playing with two elite players.. which we just don't have any more to go around.
You find him better at C than on Suzuki’s wing?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Monty was very good.

I'm not sure what you base your information on?: Did PLD talk to you personally. There are a number of hockey towns that will look like Meccas compared to Columbus and Winnipeg. Will PLD accept Suzuki as our top paid forward and sign with-in those parameters. :skeptic:

As far as Beck goes he's already NHL quality from a hockey perspective. His strength and conditioning next camp will determine where he plays provided he is healthy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I dont like relying on a maybe to fill such an important spot but in the event Dubois does come here it would be an instant significant improvement to our forward line

It's not the only plan we can rely on though. The goal here is to have the kinds develop and improve and still draft well.

If Dubois comes, he comes. If he don't, there is no need to be desperate to move up into a playoff pretender early on. I think Dubois is more than a maybe. The trail of him wanting to play in Montreal is deep in context.

Reactions: Paddy17

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You find him better at C than on Suzuki’s wing?

I do, yeah. At center he gets more puck touches and the way he can skate, carry and pass the puck.. once he has a couple wingers with him who can actually think and make plays, he'll be a great 2C option.

The problem is really there's no talent to play with outside of Suzuki/Caufield.. so short term, this is great and once we see him really driving some play with those other two, you can move him to his own line and maybe start making some other guys look better than they are.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
unfortunatly it's the only line that's good

Slaf's says F off. (joking)

giphy.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not sure what you base your information on?: Did PLD talk to you personally. There are a number of hockey towns that will look like Meccas compared to Columbus and Winnipeg. Will PLD accept Suzuki as our top paid forward and sign with-in those parameters. :skeptic:

As far as Beck goes he's already NHL quality from a hockey perspective. His strength and conditioning next camp will determine where he plays provided he is healthy.

I've spoken this a lot over the summer. Not going there again cause it will be a distraction. I have my information and it's not a secrete. I do believe he wants to play in Montreal. You don't have to agree and pretend this is just bait for him to get a big contract. I don't see it that way. He's told his own teammates this summer he wants to play for Montreal one day. This coming after he tells the Jets he will explore his UFA options in 2 years. This is not a far fetched idea.

Beck is not ready for NHL yet. Way too premature. He plays a solid game and had a great camp but he's going to need a season or two of more development. Playing center in the NHL is a big deal. I have faith in Beck but our fan base saying he is already NHL ready is premature.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad