Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to bolts for the new year

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I don’t have a problem with the team being a work in progress but to have the have the coaching staff learning on the job is unnecessarily painful to watch.
I don’t understand the appeal of this coaching staff. St. Louis said they’re trying to focus on making a player like Caufield a more complete player but in my opinion there was nothing wrong with the way he was playing the previous two years after they took over. Let your skill players be your skill players unless they’re becoming a detriment to team defence which Caufield wasn’t for what he brought offensively.

Reactions: The Real Timo

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I don’t understand the appeal of this coaching staff. St. Louis said they’re trying to focus on making a player like Caufield a more complete player but in my opinion there was nothing wrong with the way he was playing the previous two years after they took over. Let your skill players be your skill players unless they’re becoming a detriment to team defence which Caufield wasn’t for what he brought offensively.
I watch Ylonen always making smart plays, always back checking hard and somehow he is mired on the 4th line. You are rebuilding and you are not giving a pretty decent player a good look.

iamtalbot

Oct 18, 2007
We need 3 more first liners, 2 more 1st pairing Ds and a #1 G.

After that, people will be in the chairs where they belong, mostly.
I feel like jeff/kent aren't willing to let the team be bad enough to pick #1-3 to try and secure those first line players.

in that case, agree we still lack a #1 goalie, we need to aquire (or develope Guhle/Popcorn into) two top pair D, and if we're not able to get 3 true top line players then we need to aquire another four solid 2nd line scoring players to go with Dach and Newhook.

then you go out and cycle essentially three "2nd lines" for balanced scoring. whichever of the lines is better defensively becomes your "first" line as it will be matched with your opponents top line.

I feel like this is what habs management is building towards.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
The game changed markedly when Glendenning fought Anderson early in the second period. After the fight, the momentum that the Canadiens had driven their play was stalled. The spotty goaltending didn’t help.
That's a good point, but I thought it changed markedly with the freebee we were given. After that goal the Bolts were all over us, Monty's gaffe made way for another L.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I watch Ylonen always making smart plays, always back checking hard and somehow he is mired on the 4th line. You are rebuilding and you are not giving a pretty decent player a good look.
This coaching and management team needs to go. Team is not developing or getting better. There is no progress. The insistence on doing things for over a year that don't work is the most compelling reason to fire them all. Good coaches adapt to what they have to work with. MSL and his crew of clowns after 2 seasons is still trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
a work in progress :facepalm: and the result is jekyll & hyde consistency ,thanks Jeff/Kent.
Curious if you remember, the 10 years Rinse and Repeat era??
Jeff/Kent are year two............we are in good hands, and much better than the previous gong show.

a work in progress :facepalm: and the result is jekyll & hyde consistency ,thanks Jeff/Kent.
Curious if you remember, the 10 years Rinse and Repeat era??
Jeff/Kent are year two............we are in good hands, and much better than the previous gong show.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

IMO St.Louis is tempering expectations because he knows Caufield is not 100% this season.

There's no f***ing way they're trying to make a 5'2 player who has the potential to score 50 Gs a two way player.

Caufield has never been a liability defensively either, that's pretty much all you can ask for a guy who can score that amount of goals.

Reactions: nhlfan9191 and jrom

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
One of the better games the Canadiens played this season. And one of the very few games where our goaltending let the team down. It was a game that also exposed Tampa as a team in clear decline. You could see that growing realization in Cooper’s face.
Don't think the Bolts make the playoffs this year.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
IMO St.Louis is tempering expectations because he knows Caufield is not 100% this season.

There's no f***ing way they're trying to make a 5'2 player who has the potential to score 50 Gs a two way player.

Caufield has never been a liability defensively either, that's pretty much all you can ask for a guy who can score that amount of goals.
He's starting to look a lot more like himself the last few games. But yeah he is clearly not 100% as of now, i also think it's normal after the time he missed because of the shoulder.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
He's starting to look a lot more like himself the last few games. But yeah he is clearly not 100% as of now, i also think it's normal after the time he missed because of the shoulder.
4 goals in Oct then 3 in Nov and 3 in Dec.
6 assists in Oct then 6 in Nov and 4 in Dec.
+4 in Oct, -3 in Nov and -3 in Dec.

1 power play goal per month.

Didnt miss a game, cant be that hurt.
Missed summer time « training » but i dont see the improvement you are seeing. Was better in Oct.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I wanted Michkov/Benson because I wanted to gamble getting our own Point or Kucherov (or lesser versions of them).

Kucherov is simply incredible. This side of Crosby he is the definition of a hockey player.

Habs played well to start but Tampa has talent and poise and woke up to stake their claim as the superior team.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
then you go out and cycle essentially three "2nd lines" for balanced scoring. whichever of the lines is better defensively becomes your "first" line as it will be matched with your opponents top line.

So basically Marc Bargevin 2.0?

That's gonna fail. There's a reason Vegas went all in on Eichel and took the gamble. They needed that ppg first line center.

Reactions: ReHabs

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
So basically Marc Bargevin 2.0?

That's gonna fail. There's a reason Vegas went all in on Eichel and took the gamble. They needed that ppg first line center.
Said this last year. This is going to be another 10 year project that will ultimately yield same result as Bergy. Buckle up!

Don't think the Bolts make the playoffs this year.
LOSERS!!!!

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Said this last year. This is going to be another 10 year project that will ultimately yield same result as Bergy. Buckle up!
Could be wrong but i don't think so.

Gorton is the one who signed Chara and is the one who signed Panarin (both contracts considered bad at the time they were signed by many guys on HFboards). He doesn't strike me as a guy who will try to win with depth. Unless he's a puppet hired by Molson so that Molson can say he's not in charge anymore while he still is i don't think Gorton will let his GM go with this "rolling 4 lines" strategy for long.

I'm perplexed by the amount of fan who doesn't seem to understand we have our hands tied by a bunch of bad contracts to almost useless vets. Yeah we could give those players for free like Calgary did with Monahan but why would we do that? Better wait for the last year of their contract to flip them for some assets while waiting for the kids we currently have to improve while drafting more to secure a better core.

There's absolutely no reason to speed things up. If Monahan is healthy at the deadline and KH doesn't trade him i'll start to worry until then i'm fine with what is happening.

Reactions: Andy

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Could be wrong but i don't think so.

Gorton is the one who signed Chara and is the one who signed Panarin (both contracts considered bad at the time they were signed by many guys on HFboards). He doesn't strike me as a guy who will try to win with depth. Unless he's a puppet hired by Molson so that Molson can say he's not in charge anymore while he still is i don't think Gorton will let his GM go with this "rolling 4 lines" strategy for long.

I'm perplexed by the amount of fan who doesn't seem to understand we have our hands tied by a bunch of bad contracts to almost useless vets. Yeah we could give those players for free like Calgary did with Monahan but why would we do that? Better wait for the last year of their contract to flip them for some assets while waiting for the kids we currently have to improve while drafting more to secure a better core.

There's absolutely no reason to speed things up. If Monahan is healthy at the deadline and KH doesn't trade him i'll start to worry until then i'm fine with what is happening.
So fair... there is a bunch of bad contracts but... say they magically disappeared. What do they get replaced with? It's not like Habs have all these Bedards and Crosbys waiting in a wing until Gallagher expires on the ice. Habs do NOT have depth. Anywhere. We hope all these prospects magically become premium NHL stars but in reality only 1 or 2 of them may be something you;d like to hang your hat on. The rest will be another bunch of Dvoraks, Gallaghers et Co.
Hughes and Gorton so far played it safe and seems like it's their thing - meaning a perpetual mediocrity until next management teams gets to kick this can. They had a chance to snatch Michkov and they passed. I am sure there was still some talent out there but instead they got what... 3 goalies? Come on.
There is nothing that says you HAVE to play your useless vets. If you are truly interested in the top notch talent you strip your team of antyhing that can remotely win you games and go Chicago. But they didn't and wouldn't do that. Hence again... some safe pick that may turn into a third line forward or a second pair dman on a good team. No premium high end talent.

And don't get me started on the whole Xhekaj thing and the level of the creampuffness this team's at.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
So fair... there is a bunch of bad contracts but... say they magically disappeared. What do they get replaced with? It's not like Habs have all these Bedards and Crosbys waiting in a wing until Gallagher expires on the ice. Habs do NOT have depth. Anywhere. We hope all these prospects magically become premium NHL stars but in reality only 1 or 2 of them may be something you;d like to hang your hat on. The rest will be another bunch of Dvoraks, Gallaghers et Co.
Hughes and Gorton so far played it safe and seems like it's their thing - meaning a perpetual mediocrity until next management teams gets to kick this can. They had a chance to snatch Michkov and they passed. I am sure there was still some talent out there but instead they got what... 3 goalies? Come on.
There is nothing that says you HAVE to play your useless vets. If you are truly interested in the top notch talent you strip your team of antyhing that can remotely win you games and go Chicago. But they didn't and wouldn't do that. Hence again... some safe pick that may turn into a third line forward or a second pair dman on a good team. No premium high end talent.
Which is the reason why we must keep selling and drafting ... and trading some kids for good players like Vegas did if the opportunity arise. But there should be no hurry atm. The big test for KH will come in the summer of 2025 when he should have traded most of the bad contracts and should have plenty of kids to trade if need be.

Then we will be able to evaluate him properly. Maybe he'll fail like Ross Atkins with his bargain bin moves or maybe he'll do well i don't know. The only thing i hope is that past the summer of 2025 Gorton wont be too patient. Something will have to happen in the 2025-2026 season either the kids figure it out and the core is good or some trades are made.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I'm really starting to dislike our first line. We give up far too many easy goals against.

Barron must like Florida two decent games defensively in a row.
I honestly feel that Barron is rounding out his game. He still has lapses in the D zone but you can see progression

Reactions: Rapala

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I honestly feel that Barron is rounding out his game. He still has lapses in the D zone but you can see progression
tdSd4V.gif

What's with the GIF inserts not working anymore?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

This coaching and management team needs to go. Team is not developing or getting better. There is no progress. The insistence on doing things for over a year that don't work is the most compelling reason to fire them all. Good coaches adapt to what they have to work with. MSL and his crew of clowns after 2 seasons is still trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Yep, they use Ylonen just like they used Slafkovsky.......and obviously that doesn't work, see how Slafkovsky did not develop and there's no progression in his game :sarcasm:

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Yep, they use Ylonen just like they used Slafkovsky.......and obviously that doesn't work, see how Slafkovsky did not develop and there's no progression in his game :sarcasm:

I disagree, there are no reasons to play Armia on the PK or on the 3rd line instead of Ylonen.

Pretty much everyone was fine with Armia in Laval but once he gets called back he has priority over Ylonen ? Makes no sense. No one is asking for top6 or PP duties for Ylonen, just ice time.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I feel like jeff/kent aren't willing to let the team be bad enough to pick #1-3 to try and secure those first line players.

in that case, agree we still lack a #1 goalie, we need to aquire (or develope Guhle/Popcorn into) two top pair D, and if we're not able to get 3 true top line players then we need to aquire another four solid 2nd line scoring players to go with Dach and Newhook.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree it looks like that's where it's going.

That said, with what I've seen of them so far, I don't believe that Caufield/Suzuki + Dach/Newhook and 2 other guys of that "caliber" (possibly including Slaskovsky) is enough to compete with the Tampas and Vegas's of the NHL for a Stanley Cup.

MAYBE once where the stars align and no one's injured à la St.Louis Blues, but not true year-in-year-out contenders like the Hawks or Pens were.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Which is the reason why we must keep selling and drafting ... and trading some kids for good players like Vegas did if the opportunity arise. But there should be no hurry atm. The big test for KH will come in the summer of 2025 when he should have traded most of the bad contracts and should have plenty of kids to trade if need be.
So far Hughes has not been able to sell in 50% of his trade deadlines. Will he fall to 33% or rise to 66% come this March?

So far Hughes has not acquired established NHL talent at forward. He bought-low on problematic young players Dach and Newhook but not established ones.
Then we will be able to evaluate him properly. Maybe he'll fail like Ross Atkins with his bargain bin moves or maybe he'll do well i don't know. The only thing i hope is that past the summer of 2025 Gorton wont be too patient. Something will have to happen in the 2025-2026 season either the kids figure it out and the core is good or some trades are made.
I think kicking the can down to the summer after next is pretty much what fans did with Bergevin, isn't it? Always saying that the next summer is the pivotal one, meanwhile the players got older, more injured, and the roster depth decayed with a lack of talent coming in...

There's no reason not to expect or demand good things from the 2024 off-season. A rebuilding team needs to add talent at all times. Hughes so far has demonstrated a strange disinterest in acquiring established talent, we actually got worse over last summer... sure it's hard to acquire NHL talent but if he's not up to do his job he shouldn't be in the seat. Didn't we have enough of "price are too high"/"they are just not available" with the last guy?

Look at it this way: Hughes hasn't sold Allen or Monahan, the roster is still hovering around playoff pretender status... Dach and Newhook go down, Savard goes down, Hughes doesn't bother to acquire any depth to help the team. Why is that? He doesn't cut bait and sell, he doesn't acquire, he just does nothing... What road are we taking? @The Real Timo says it's more mediocrity, I tend to fear the same. We don't have any players on the trajectory to surpass Suzuki or Caufield in terms of impact. If we draft around 10th OA in the 2024 draft, will we magically acquire this player? Where or when do we acquire the other players needed to actually improve the roster? Hughes has to do his job.

pvanders21

Feb 5, 2015
I agree. Habs don't have talent to be a contender. Not on the current roster and not in the pipeline.
The not showing up part is on coaching. I don't remember a single game this season where Habs were in it for full 60 minutes.

This team is nothing to be excited about. Not now, not in the future.

That's all you need against Habs. 15-20 minutes to pump in a few goals and the just take it easy and don't let the Habs score. Works for most teams.
Better find a new team if the future is so bleak!

Reactions: jrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad