Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to bolts for the new year

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
They’re the only line generating offense. They’re doing great, just enjoy.

They played the Canes, Panthers & Tampa. All top teams.

No they are not Great. They are doing better than the other lines. How can anybody say they are great when none is on pace for 25 goals, when they are all in the minus while having the most offensive zone starts in the the team ? Is that the low expectations we should have for MTL players ? A 1C on pace for 70 points, an elite goal scorer on pace for 20-25 goals all of that preaching a game which is offense first and possession driven ?

The issue is not losing, I am fine with them losing against those three teams as long as they showed against TBL. It is a young team, it will make mistakes but it is inacceptable to not show up many nights. I really think the persistent issue over the past 30 years has been management and fans alike overrating MTL players and prospects.

As MSL would say..."Matheson is in the wrong chair". A 2nd pairing Dman who shouldn't play more than 20 minutes per game
In the offseason, I remmeber some fans calling him a top pairing Dman. Those were fun times.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Habs didn't deserve to lose this one. They played a real good game. But Tampa doesn't need much to make you pay.

Also Matheson, my goodness. Can Hutson skip the rest of his college season and join us once WJC is over?
Monty with his worst game of the year................4 goals on 20 shots............not to mention whatever that tying 2-2 goal was?? WTF Monty?

Loving Anderson's game right now!! He is back guys!!
Anyhow, thought they would do well before Xmas, and crash and burn the 4 games after Xmas.....figuring they would lose 4 in a row, and here we are.............

We are still 2 years away guys from being a good team on most nights.
Too many guys who need to go asap.............still too many. The Rinse and Repeat Era is hard to shake off.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
As MSL would say..."Matheson is in the wrong chair". A 2nd pairing Dman who shouldn't play more than 20 minutes per game
I like MSL as our coach for the most part, but he needs to be better. He has this hesitancy towards turning over to the kids, when that's suppose to be his reason for being there..............FFS.

There are nights, if he doles out TOI to players better, we would have better results. Like the team he is also, a work in progress.
That said, the team deserved better last night, and Monty $hit the bed.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
It's game I thought we should have won. Out shot Tampa, our puck management was better but Tampa still dangerous . Turns it in for 15 minutes and pulls out a win.

These losses hurt
no its a perfect game. it lets all our too young talent get more ice time and learn and learn.
the habs with so many injured again WILL NOT make the playoffs, so the best thing is to tank soon and let the gm trade away some got to leave players. The division the habs are in right now it full of top teams. over the next few years those top teams will start to be too old and production will drop and heavy contracts will force those team to change their core and start over. the habs in say 3 years will start to hit their prime everywhere.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
I like MSL as our coach for the most part, but he needs to be better. He has this hesitancy towards turning over to the kids, when that's suppose to be his reason for being there..............FFS.

There are nights, if he doles out TOI to players better, we would have better results. Like the team he is also, a work in progress.
a work in progress :facepalm: and the result is jekyll & hyde consistency ,thanks Jeff/Kent.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Agreed about the younger players, what's the excuse for the many useless vets?

Special teams is another wtf topic that is “owned” by the vets according to MSL’s chair philosophy.

Reactions: Tyson

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Agreed about the younger players, what's the excuse for the many useless vets?
That is a contributing factor. Too many useless MB vets who are either done (Gallagher), show up 5 or 6 times a year like Armia, or are just useless like Dvorak. The top line, Monahan and Anderson (as a 3rd liner maybe) are the only ones of any use.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
No they are not Great. They are doing better than the other lines. How can anybody say they are great when none is on pace for 25 goals, when they are all in the minus while having the most offensive zone starts in the the team ? Is that the low expectations we should have for MTL players ? A 1C on pace for 70 points, an elite goal scorer on pace for 20-25 goals all of that preaching a game which is offense first and possession driven ?

The issue is not losing, I am fine with them losing against those three teams as long as they showed against TBL. It is a young team, it will make mistakes but it is inacceptable to not show up many nights. I really think the persistent issue over the past 30 years has been management and fans alike overrating MTL players and prospects.

In the offseason, I remmeber some fans calling him a top pairing Dman. Those were fun times.
I agree. Habs don't have talent to be a contender. Not on the current roster and not in the pipeline.
The not showing up part is on coaching. I don't remember a single game this season where Habs were in it for full 60 minutes.

This team is nothing to be excited about. Not now, not in the future.

Wtf happened lmao

The Bolts only played 20 minutes and won?

That's all you need against Habs. 15-20 minutes to pump in a few goals and the just take it easy and don't let the Habs score. Works for most teams.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
The win in Winnipeg sucks now even more, would have been better off with no points.

Anyway January seems like a tough schedule and a possible good tanking one, 2 big games against Ottawa

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

One of the better games the Canadiens played this season. And one of the very few games where our goaltending let the team down. It was a game that also exposed Tampa as a team in clear decline. You could see that growing realization in Cooper’s face.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Leto

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Wtf happened lmao

The Bolts only played 20 minutes and won?

That goal should have sealed the deal for us, but had the opposite effect. Monty's atrocious tying goal against is the straw that broke our backs :facepalm:

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Inconsistencies is typical for a young team. During a rebuild you don't really know what you have until you have players fully developed.
Of course it is. That is ALWAYS going to happen when your only good players are still very young.
I don’t have a problem with the team being a work in progress but to have the have the coaching staff learning on the job is unnecessarily painful to watch.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
That goal should have sealed the deal for us, but had the opposite effect. Monty's atrocious tying goal against is the straw that broke our backs :facepalm:
The game changed markedly when Glendenning fought Anderson early in the second period. After the fight, the momentum that the Canadiens had driven their play was stalled. The spotty goaltending didn’t help.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4