Post-Game Talk: Habs lose in Boston

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
The legends you mentioned, or the other ones you didn't mentioned, they would have been roasted by the medias and the social media folks like here. Read what posters here clealy mention they would roast that or that player. Habs are one of the most toxic fanbase of the league. Boston fans don't act the same and in the same time, they ask for better results. And they get better results.

you are probably right, they all want slow, safe and steady... and are all shocked when we constantly suck. Imagine trading Price 5 years before our little cup run, collecting a haul and rebuilding instead of sucking it till the end and winding up with an unmovable asset like we always do. This team is totally clueless since Serge Savard has the balls to make moves that made a difference.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
My point was it's not set in stone that a lengthy rebuild works, ex.Edmonton,Buffalo.We haven't seen a decent team in Montreal "the greatest hockey franchise that ever existed"for over thirty years and you expect fans to TRUST THE PROCESS if it even works for another 5-6 years and pay higher ticket prices for this type of yin- yang Jekyll & Hyde style enertainment ? Oh and by the way the Bruins aren't hoping an almost entire rookie coaching staff can take them to the promised land.

What is set in stone that works with 100% efficiency?

They don't want a lengthy rebuild but all we are doing is telling you that even short rebuilds take 5 years. That's why no one is panicking with any sort of long term vision here.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
good post! And despite that there have been plenty of games where the team is clicking and things looks promising. The progress and development is lightyears ahead of the past 30 years!
Some posters tend to only be happy with contending or completely rebuilding and being in the gutter, but they don't understand that teams need to live somewhere in between while becoming contenders, and that doesn't mean stagnation.

We have beat some good teams, but honestly a lot of the wins we were outplayed badly. We don't match-up against heavy teams, just quick soft ones. I don't know how we beat Winnipeg, but we have lost to almost all the other big skating teams. Other wins came against struggling teams at the time, Oilers, Sharks, Hawks, Penguins, Ottawa, NJ etc...

Not all 2 pts are created equal, not all losses are either. They have played some really good games, but all in all they have a lot of points from beating worse teams than themselves.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014

They don't want a lengthy rebuild but all we are doing is telling you that even short rebuilds take 5 years. That's why no one is panicking with any sort of long term vision here.

What seems to work most often is drafting 2-3 Elite core pieces and then having a competent management to build around them.

Reactions: hvac412

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013

Oh that’s right I forgot you know it all:popcorn:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Oh that’s right I forgot you know it all:popcorn:

No, I don't but I did the research on rebuilds and no successful rebuild took less than 5 years.. the ones that did got lucky and drafted Malkin and Crosby. We aren't getting 2 generational forwards at any point in our rebuild.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
My point was it's not set in stone that a lengthy rebuild works, ex.Edmonton,Buffalo.We haven't seen a decent team in Montreal "the greatest hockey franchise that ever existed"for over thirty years and you expect fans to TRUST THE PROCESS if it even works for another 5-6 years and pay higher ticket prices for this type of yin- yang Jekyll & Hyde style enertainment ? Oh and by the way the Bruins aren't hoping an almost entire rookie coaching staff can take them to the promised land.
Yeah for sure, I'm not really an advocate for the Buffalo/Ottawa tank for 10 years approach either but I was responding directly to the Boston stuff because I don't think it's really something the Habs could have emulated after maybe 2016 or 2017ish, as by that point the eventual downturn was already baked in.

Montreal tried a discount version of the "Boston" approach from 2013 to 2021. They didn't trade Price, Weber, Petry, Danault, Gallagher etc. and tried to keep that core intact while developing young players to compete. Pacioretty for Suzuki and drafting Caufield helped, but eventually the core players either retired, declined heavily, or in Danault's case walked after Bergevin played hardball over 500k, and Petry for Matheson is the only core guy that we were able to directly replace. Meanwhile the McCarron, Scherbak, Juulsen, Poehling cohort busted and Sergachev was traded for Drouin. I'm not saying that was entirely the wrong approach either (IMO we were far too risk averse with trading picks during Price's prime) but "what about Boston" doesn't really mean much when Price/Weber are just straight up retired now and we don't have a McAvoy/Pastrnak already in place. It sucks but you can't just make those guys appear if you don't have them.

I don't think the Habs need to tank for another 5-6 years either, I think this will be the last pure "tank" season and next season will be a step up even if the playoffs are unlikely. I just don't really think Boston or the fact we haven't won in 30 years etc. means anything as the Habs had a pretty limited series of options once they went down the "ride Price and Weber into the ground" road. There just wasn't an alternative, we got paid a 1st to take Monahan, the cost of dumping our dead weight and making immediate roster upgrades would have been astronomical, there was no realistic path to get the Habs from 32nd in 2021 to a playoff team in 23-24 and going into a rebuild was the only reasonable path.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I wouldn't consider the Bruins as rebuilding, they simply tweaked their lineup a bit
Exactly. They don’t have massive deadwood to unload unlike the Habs, who have been creatively dispatching toxic assets, creating cap room and adding both prospects and picks.

Yes, Bruins lost a key piece in Bergeron (he’s rumored to be making a comeback) but as has been argued in this thread, they have several other quality assets that a true rebuilding team like the Habs don’t have.

The Bruins have given away several draft picks in their playoff quests while adding and rostering several players in a win-now frame — not exactly the sign of a rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00