Post-Game Talk: Habs lose in Boston

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I thought Armia, Anderson, Matheson and Roy played well. :scared:

I'm probably Gally's biggest fan. Even I think he needs some press box time.
Tough game against a strong opponent.

Thought we competed well for the first two periods then the wheels fell off in the third. There are several reasons for the drop-off; fatigue after a compacted schedule that included lots of travel; the lack of finish and all the other well discussed reasons here. But it comes down to the differential in competitive talent levels. An already thinly talented team, Montreal cannot long overcome the continued absence of top-end talent. Without Dach, Newhook, etc. we simply do not have the ability to consistently compete against superior talent. With exceptional goaltending, we can give most teams a battle, but if the goaltending is only average, we will, in most games, struggle. If one of our goaltenders is not among the stars of the game, the outlook will not be good.

I think the four players identified above all had strong games. Armia, with a little more puck luck, could have had a couple more goals; Anderson, for his first game back, played a disruptive, physical game; Roy easily had his best overall game and showed no fear of the Bruins' physical game and made numerous creative passes; and Matheson was the lone Montreal defenseman who was able to effectively evade the constant Boston forecheck and skate the puck out of our defensive zone with speed. I think Monahan also had an impactful game, whose playmaking and vision led to several Montreal goals and multiple scoring chances. If Monahan continues to play at this level, Montreal should be able to secure a high return for this player as the trade deadline approaches. After Matheson, I thought Barron was our most effective Montreal defenceman, displaying his skating ability in all three zones of the ice.

The rest of the team struggled mightily in the third period after the failed Montreal power play late in the second period. A few missed defensive assignments and the rout was on.

There are no quick or easier answers. This year, as many know, was a throw away year. That we are still in playoff contention after enduring many key injuries, is a testament to the growing competitive nature of this team. Help is on its way. With a good draft this year, the re-build and future is promising.

But then, I'm a born optimist: who largely lives by the old creed of striving be a disappointed optimist rather than a vindicated pessimist.

Last edited:

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
A match against vs the Bruins without Xhekaj is bs.
Yes, but other than the entertainment factor, would the outcome have been any different with him in the game? I love X, but I doubt his presence would have changed anything at this stage of his and the team's development.

Reactions: LesCanadiens

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
When your coaching staff hasnt fixed one simple issue like your defenseman being 15 feet away from opposition player at the goal line on the PK allowing that player to walk freely in front, thats a cause for concern

Its so simple, obvious to everyone and yet night after night, it happens

The roster isnt good but the PK is inexcusable issue the staff seemingly is getting worse at. Imagine if MTL was a terrible faceoff team. It be even more painful

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
When your coaching staff hasnt fixed one simple issue like your defenseman being 15 feet away from opposition player at the goal line on the PK allowing that player to walk freely in front, thats a cause for concern

The roster isnt good but the PK is inexcusable issue the staff seemingly is getting worse at. Imagine if MTL was a terrible faceoff team. It be even more painful
Marty is a top coach in the league it is on the players to execute his concepts

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I disagree. I am fine with the record not at all with the way they have been playing. The defnsive coverage is inexistant, the forecheck seems random, there way too many giveaways. They are bottom 5/6 in the league in terms of PK PP GA GF shots for shots against….
We really don't have a very good skating team. Very few explosive players very few players with great stamina.
Hard to forecheck when one or more members on a given line can't get there in time. Two games in a row we got completely out skated as the game progressed. It's a BIG f***ing problem. Not only are we soft we can't skate.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Is it a coachihng thing? How would y'all describe MSL? I thought he showed promise last season. Tuned in a bit and haven't watched much of the habs, but wondering what y'all feel like are the issues here, outside of obvious roster needs. Or is it simply just not enough pieces.

This roster is nearly as bad as San Jose’s. San Jose is almost the worst team ever assembled statistically.

I would say coaching is the reason they’re even sniffing a wild card spot.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I read in a recent GDT that our good buddy @Kimota lost a cherished pic with his dream girl from Albi le Géant, due to a computer glitch/ malware.

He once said that he'd marry her in 5 seconds.

Now you have several more for your data bank.

johgLA2.png

LE2ea7V.gif

66Ki45P.gif

MdWjL0T.gif
excited-gif17.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

You've been bang on on most of your observations. You've also given @sampollock a run for his money, by building up your own collection of monikers for this team's underperformers /overthinkers/ providers of nothingness or highly questionable input.

Thought I'd list a few:

Marty the Concept Coach, the Philosopher King (perhaps a manlet "King" or "Kinglet"?). Expect stupid philosophy quotes at post game pressers. We went from mumble-mumble-mumble to a guy who won't shut up and says nothing.

Letowski: The Tablet Warrior. Would rather play Angry Birds on his tablet. Guy does nothing, just saves money.

Burrows: Mulletman. What can he draw up on his etch-a-sketch? Has roadkill hair (I had a meme about that during Covid). The roadkill on Burrows' head could come up with better PP strategy. Burrows can pack his roadkill toupee and hit the road. Picked up a roadkill toupee a la Cletus.

Robidas: ran around like a goof when he played. Draws breakouts with 36 passes to barely cross the blue line. Reminds me of past nightmares of watching Robidas play.

Barron: deer in headlights (he's got Ducharmitis), plays scared, puck is a grenade.

Matheson: dubbed "WTF".

Pez: The Punching Bag. Brings nothing, like a bad Steve Bégin. Tom Kostopoulos 2.0.

HpQNWZK.png

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Marty the Concept Coach, the Philosopher King (perhaps a manlet "King" or "Kinglet"?). Expect stupid philosophy quotes at post game pressers. We went from mumble-mumble-mumble to a guy who won't shut up and says nothing.

So True. :laugh: The press guys are falling over themselves of how a genius they think he is. Then again, he may just be an entertaining talker who likes the smell of his own farts.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
You've been bang on on most of your observations. You've also given @sampollock a run for his money, by building up your own collection of monikers for this team's underperformers /overthinkers/ providers of nothingness or highly questionable input.

Thought I'd list a few:

Letowski: The Tablet Warrior. Would rather play Angry Birds on his tablet. Guy does nothing, just saves money.

Burrows: Mulletman. What can he draw up on his etch-a-sketch? Has roadkill hair (I had a meme about that last year). The roadkill on Burrows' head could come up with better PP strategy. Burrows can pack his roadkill toupee and hit the road. Picked up a roadkill toupee a la Cletus.

Robidas: ran around like a goof when he played. Draws breakouts with 36 passes to barely cross the blue line. Reminds me of past nightmares of watching Robidas play.

Barron: deer in headlights (he's got Ducharmitis), plays scared, puck is a grenade.

Matheson: dubbed "WTF".

Pez: The Punching Bag. Brings nothing, like a bad Steve Bégin. Tom Kostopoulos 2.0.

HpQNWZK.png

Runner, you are the one guy who reads my drivel and i appreciate the kind words. Now i gotta question your taste lol

Gotta have fun in these lean times. Bergy era just made me angry, now its passing my time during the rebuilds with lttle quips until it gets better

• Haha
Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Runner, you are the one guy who reads my drivel and i appreciate the kind words. Now i gotta question your taste lol

Gotta have fun in these lean times. Bergy era just made me angry, now its passing my time during the rebuilds with lttle quips until it gets better
I remember one from an end of December 2021 GDT, where you quipped “Is that Kulak or a turnstile?”

Which prompted me to produce this:

ppMrRWj.gif

Watching a team go through a rebuild can be tough to stomach. We can all use a little levity.

Keep ‘em comin’. :popcorn:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Montembeault still learning. Most goalies need 150-200 minor or over seas games to develop. I remember Ryan Miller, Corey Crawford, Henrik Lundqvist all played that many games before hitting NHL. They all went to be good goalies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad