Habs lose again 4-3 Flyers

Masuli

May 8, 2013
Turku, Finland
Before Therrien gets fired, there will be a blockbuster trade.

The main issue with this team is veterans not pulling their weight. the only "veterans" that are doing that right now are Galchenyuk and Gallagher plus guys like Mitchell Flynn Byron who are depth guys.

Subban Petry Markov Plek Pacioretty Fleischmann Desharnais have all been slumping for 5 weeks now...go look at their stats. That has nothing to do with coaching...

Thus far MT has resisted the temptation to call out his players, but that point has to be close.
And that is when he sign his own resignation. If he has already lost the vets, calling them out will get him in even more trouble.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Other than the winter classic, I've taken a break from watching the Habs.

I get too frusterated at Therrien's choices, combinations, constant jumbling and facial expressions.

For the sake of my sanity, and my families'......I will resume watching in 3-4 games.

I expect nothing will change by then however.

I think we all need to take a break. I took a break in mid-December as things began to look hopeless. Just couldn't bear to go through another loss and more heartache. My wife, the new hockey convert, insisted on listening to every radio show and reading every article, and was miserable. I kept telling her to stop picking at sores and let it go for awhile, which is the advice I'd give to many people here. It's a friggin spectator sport that's supposed to be a fun diversion. When it stops being fun, take a frikkin break! I caught up on a couple of books, read some newspapers, and mostly tried to avoid the wailing on this board. If the next week is as bad as last month I'll take my own advice (again), wish everyone here a good couple of weeks and start another book.

I've been watching this team for decades and this is an especially tough season. Not because it's a bad team. Quite the opposite. The first two months were magical and the Habs looked like sure contenders. The tough part is having been given all that hope and then having it ripped away. As a fan, you can shrug your shoulders through bad teams and fawn over good teams. It's when a good team acts like a bad team that your flank gets exposed.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
And that is when he sign his own resignation. If he has already lost the vets, calling them out will get him in even more trouble.

Time to make a big trade then.

Habs, by far under achieving this season,

Leafs, by far over achieving this season,

Both of these results are because of coaching

They were playing great the first 2 months and suck the last month, did he go from a great coach to a ****** one? 5 points out of 3rd overall with Price missing 2 months.

Toronto has a bunch of guys on one year deals plus Babcock is a new coach there, both those things lead to a team overachieving, neither are sustainable. Plus with all their "overachieving" they are still 4 points out of last place overall.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
How come he became an AC panelist after losing his previous gig? Until he made Bervin cry, I don't recall anyone knocking at the door for his services.

Contemporaries like Bob Hartley, who also lost their jobs, kept looking for opportunities, including coaching in Europe. I doubt anyone is going to want that big lug, he's made his money and there is a blue couch waiting for him on AC.

The irony in this is that it took Therrien less time to find a job then Hartley and Vigneault. Lol

Imagine being so good that you don't even have to keep coaching and people come to you for the job which you had been fired from there before to boot!!!

When you call someone a big lug, it's obviously personal with you in which case it's impossible to take you seriously.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Time to make a big trade then.

They were playing great the first 2 months and suck the last month, did he go from a great coach to a ****** one?

Definitely time for a big trade....it's almost as though the players are holding their breath waiting for one!!

I get what Bergevin has been trying to do but it's time to go in it both feet, swing for the fences and see what happens.

Habs4ev*

Dec 18, 2015
I get what Bergevin has been trying to do but it's time to go in it both feet, swing for the fences and see what happens.

MB is too stubborn,

he has basically stated big trades will never happen (in other words),

so he can not change his strategy now or the media will be all over him, especially if the supposed big trade fails

smirob

Jun 2, 2014

The main issue with this team is veterans not pulling their weight. the only "veterans" that are doing that right now are Galchenyuk and Gallagher plus guys like Mitchell Flynn Byron who are depth guys.

Subban Petry Markov Plek Pacioretty Fleischmann Desharnais have all been slumping for 5 weeks now...go look at their stats. That has nothing to do with coaching...

Thus far MT has resisted the temptation to call out his players, but that point has to be close.

I do agree that Bergevin will try to make a move before firing Therrien.

In response to the bolded: I firmly believe a coach can 'lose' his players. The players have to respect their coach and play for them, I would not be surprised if what we are seeing is the result of the players having no faith in the coach or the systems or both.

If that is the case, a blockbuster does nothing but bring in a new player to a rotten environment. Bergevin needs to consider all options, which when a french speaking coach is a requirement, may be limited.

Guy Boucher makes sense. It is only a matter of time before another team swoops in a grabs him. What MTL needs is a change.

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
Pretty simple. Last year with Price in net the confidence in each and every player was sky high. Now the players are still trying hard but their confidence is shattered. And Price is not back yet. Gallagher gave a much needed boost but its very obvious who has been inspiring our team and intimidating opposing offenses when hes in the net.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The irony in this is that it took Therrien less time to find a job then Hartley and Vigneault. Lol

Imagine being so good that you don't even have to keep coaching and people come to you for the job which you had been fired from there before to boot!!!

When you call someone a big lug, it's obviously personal with you in which case it's impossible to take you seriously.

As I said earlier...
From what little I know about his family life, I wouldn't say anything about Therrien's decision not getting abroad, or in another city (read, coaching in the Q), after being relieved of his functions by the Penguins.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

You can only do that so long. Pacioretty, Desharnais, and Plekanec all have 3-5 points in their last 5 and we still suck.

Petry is hard to look at stats. He's more of an eye-test player. However, he hasn't been the same since his missed time. Almost like he came back too soon.

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
Even with Price back at some point the team still has needs for proven goal scoring.Price back,confidence up,and extra scoring is what will carry this team.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I hate ripping on players, but yeah... Markov's been puckering up like a Hoover vacuum.
Same. Unless it's Emelin who usually always sucks. :laugh:

But it's weird with Markov. Dad and I were talking about it last night - it's no his deterioration that's making him so bad. Usually elite defenseman slow down because of conditioning or because of lack of foot speed. That kind of thing.

Sure, you can see his speed is becoming somewhat of an issue - but with Markov, he's smart enough to counteract that. However, it's not that. It's his mental game. His positioning has been poor, his hockey sense has gone to hell - he's making mistakes he'd never make before that has nothing to do with his speed. And his passing and pass reception.. my god, it's awful. He a tape to tape passer - he hasn't been lately. And his pass reception... it's like a hot potato every time someone slides him the puck.

It's horrifying to see.

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
Markov is in same boat as the whole team.
No confidence without Price.
Price instilled an insane amount of confidence.
At same time intimidated the opposition.
Working hard without confidence tends to make you do irrational things.
Get Price back and go from there. But this team with sky high confidence is still short of the mark.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Yes they've been putrid. 1 line does not equal a team. Possession doesn't mean anything if you are not in between the hash marks smashing the puck on net. The team is lead by the biggest perimeter shooter in the NHL. I bet tonights shot chart will shot that they had less than 20% from the hashers, and more on the outside AGAIN.

Actually that isn't true based on stats. The Habs were a top 10 team in december in shots from inside the home plate area.

When a team is in a massive slump and they want to break it, they crash the net.

Also post the scoring chances by game since December 1st to Jan 5th.

go ahead and look at war-on-ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad