Post-Game Talk: Habs Lose 6-2

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I think his departure is a bit understated to be honest, given the number of arguments I saw here that strictly looked at his point totals.

It's fine to debate his effectiveness, but when someone is just zooming in on a fraction of the player's overall portfolio, its not going anywhere constructive.

Honestly in that case I'm just happy for Kotkaniemi, I truly believe that he'll have much more success in Carolina than if he had stayed here.
For us it's bad because lack of depth. Evans and whoever is now the 4th C need to take a step forward to replace Kotkaniemi really.

Reactions: Miller Time

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Anyone who look at our healthy defense if Weber is done and think this is fine is delusional.

Edmundson-Petry
Chiarot-Savard
Romanov-Wideman

This is not a playoffs bound defense. A kid will need to blossom and take a spot in the top 3.
Weber wasn't in his best shape the last few years. He showed up big time last playoffs. Other teams don't necessarily have a better D. The Habs are missing a puck moving D on the left side. Romanov can take the spot, however will he step up to the plate? Guhle and Norlinder are good prospects but we have to wait and see if they blossom.

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
And blind optimism is a vice.

Haha.... touche

The preseason has not exactly been a boost to enthusiasm, but ... it is the preseason. I am still cautiously optimistic about the regular season when all the pieces are in place. That being said, both Romo and Savard need to play substantially better for the team to be contending for PO as I expected. The team's depth outside of the main roster does not look good either, so, injuries cannot be a huge factor. I think this was one of your main arguments after the first preseason game. I have to agree at this point. I still feel the main roster should be more effective than regular seasons past and that will be enough to get into the POs. Is that a good thing? Who knows. Weber? Deadline acquisitions?..... Price? ...... I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong, but we won't know if I'm wrong for a few months. Feel free to remind me then.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Poehling won't be happy to go to the AHL. What player would be. But yes, you hope he takes responsibility for his send down and uses his energy to continue to improve his game instead of whining.

At any rate, this is the last time we'll have to go through this with him. Next year, if he gets sent down, he's getting claimed on waivers. But, even better, barring injury, no way in hell I don't see him making the team next year at least as a winger.

He's a forward with size, and also speed and also hockey sense. We need size in our lineup without sacrificing speed, and ability to play the game. So, I consider him still a very important prospect in our system. Let's try to bring out the best in him over this developmental year for him.
We need good hockey players, he isn’t one.

Reactions: dinodebino

Jul 6, 2016
Honestly in that case I'm just happy for Kotkaniemi, I truly believe that he'll have much more success in Carolina than if he had stayed here.
For us it's bad because lack of depth. Evans and whoever is now the 4th C need to take a step forward to replace Kotkaniemi really.

If KK would had stayed in MTL, strong chances that Habs don't trade for Dvorak (i would had liked Habs to give heir last 1st rounder to get Dvorak)
Habs would have Suzuki, KK , Evans as their three first centermen.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Wow, what a way to hit me right in the forehead without hitting me right in the forehead. First you liked the guys response and then you proceed to slam me without saying my hf user name lol.
:)

Shot a moose btw…..3 1/2yr old…..155yd shot, dropped like a sack of potatoes.

DM me a mailing address and I swear I’ll send you a roast and some hamburg.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
...and some others, at KK leaving.
Who can point at KK leaving having a bigger impact than Danault leaving? One can't really skate, win face offs and have bad stats. Healthy scratch PO games.
On the other side Danault shut down McDavid, Draisatle, Matthews, Connor and cie, Selke nominated, McKinnon tell he's the most difficult to play against, a player worth 5M or little but more. I mean, a lot of hockey fans around north america discovered Danault.
JK is worth 2,3 M, and some people will say losing JK is worst? Is it the same people who say earth is flat?

Reactions: 1909

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
... even if he is getting pretty good at faceoffs. He doesn't seem to understand the rest of a centerman job

I've never seen him understand it or see anything that indicates that he will. But if management sees something, I have no problem with him developing the whole year in Laval as a center. I doubt it would hurt him if he ends up trying to make it as a winger in the nhl...

But I also doubt he lasts more than a few shifts if they try him at center in the NHL this year. I would expect they'd quickly move him to the wing and Perreault to center.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
If KK would had stayed in MTL, strong chances that Habs don't trade for Dvorak (i would had liked Habs to give heir last 1st rounder to get Dvorak)

ok fair enough

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Responding to the bold part, that's receipe for tanking. This is not the pacific with 80% teams on rebuild mode, Atlantic and Metro are tough teams to play against. Afteral losing JK was a good thing, it forced Bergevin to trade for Dvorak. Dvorak more or less equal Danault and Evans more or less equal to JK. So one in one it about the same. Except Dvorak is not a selke nominated center and not a shut down monster.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Reports came out saying Habs were working on Dvorak deal before KK signed the offersheet. They were looking at him as Danault's replacement apparently.

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

They were heavily rumored to be pursuing Dvorak before losing JKO.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Respondind to the bold part, that's receipe for tanking. This is not the pacific with 80% teams on rebuild mode, Atlantic and Metro are tough teams to play against. Afteral losing JK was a good thing, it forced Bergevin to trade for Dvorak. Dvorak more or less equal Danault and Evans more or less equal to JK. So one in one it about the same. Except Dvorak is not a selke nominated center and not a shut down monster.

Evans has not yet proven that he is on KK's level. He provides a better defensive game but offensively he has not shown the same level of potential of KK. Maybe he will, but as of last season, KK is ahead of Evans.
We have downgraded on both front. Dvorak isn't a better 2-way center than Danault but he might have more offensive talent than Danault, Evans is the opposite, he doesn't have the same offensive talent as KK but he's definitely better defensively so that might counter balance things.
As it stands now though, I wouldn't say we are better down the middle. A lot depends on Suzuki taking a step forward.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Evans has not yet proven that he is on KK's level. He provides a better defensive game but offensively he has not shown the same level of potential of KK. Maybe he will, but as of last season, KK is ahead of Evans.
We have downgraded on both front. Dvorak isn't a better 2-way center than Danault but he might have more offensive talent than Danault, Evans is the opposite, he doesn't have the same offensive talent as KK but he's definitely better defensively so that might counter balance things.
As it stands now though, I wouldn't say we are better down the middle. A lot depends on Suzuki taking a step forward.
The way I see it, Dvorak doesn't replace Danault. Dvorak is like JK when he will be older, a bit more offensive than defensive center. Evans replace Danault but on a lower level of efficiency. So it's like if we have an improved JK with Dvorak and a downgrade Danault with Evans. So yeah, that might conter balance, we'll see. But we also have Perreault or Paquette for the 4th line.

And about Suzuki, I doubt he will take an huge step forward. A little progressive step forward I agree.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The way I see it, Dvorak doesn't replace Danault. Dvorak is like JK when he will be older, a bit more offensive than defensive center. Evans replace Danault but on a lower level of efficiency. So it's like if we have an improved JK with Dvorak and a downgrade Danault with Evans. So yeah, that might conter balance, we'll see. But we also have Perreault or Paquette for the 4th line.

There is no way Evans replaces Danault. They are not on the same level at all.
Best case is Suzuki steps up his game where he can shutdown the top opponents and also outproduce them, and both Dvorak/Evans provide relief.

Reactions: Devonator

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
There is no way Evans replaces Danault. They are not on the same level at all.
Best case is Suzuki steps up his game where he can shutdown the top opponents and also outproduce them, and both Dvorak/Evans provide relief.
Maybe but that's a big step for Suzuki. Looks like filling Danault's skates (usually we say shoes) is an harder job than some would expect.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Who can point at KK leaving having a bigger impact than Danault leaving? One can't really skate, win face offs and have bad stats. Healthy scratch PO games.
On the other side Danault shut down McDavid, Draisatle, Matthews, Connor and cie, Selke nominated, McKinnon tell he's the most difficult to play against, a player worth 5M or little but more. I mean, a lot of hockey fans around north america discovered Danault.
JK is worth 2,3 M, and some people will say losing JK is worst? Is it the same people who say earth is flat?
KK is still a kid with untapped potential, that is all. What good is it to have a guy like Danault when you can't score goals on most nights. The other team nets 2-3 goals and just sits on that, while your top offensive players can't rip a few on the PP. I would of kept Danault but they decided to go wirh KK instead, only to lose both anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad