Post-Game Talk: Habs Lose 6-2

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
  • It will be interesting to see a new goalie.
  • Poehling getting yet another final chance, this time in a lineup that should look much closer to the regular season one.
  • With Caufield back on ice today, I guess he will play tomorrow?
  • It was nice to have a look at the youngsters, but this last stretch with both the Suzuki and the Dvorak lines should be fun.

Reactions: llamateizer

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Really giving Poehling plenty of opportunity despite not earning any of them with his play.

It's what they need to do. He played better on Saturday than he did in his first two games. But they need to give him both games (tomorrow and Thursday). Because one of two things can happen:

1) he takes his good game from Saturday and carry it over to the next two games and he earns a spot.

2) he doesn't earn a spot and the team can tell him they gave him every opportunity to make the team and he didn't seize it, hence why they would be sending him back to Laval. And he'd have zero argument against it.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Really giving Poehling plenty of opportunity despite not earning any of them with his play.

He just may not be a center at the NHL level. Doesn't mean he can't be a good winger. Wingers with size, speed, and hockey sense don't grow on trees in our organization or anywhere. Have to hope he plays a lot this year in Laval and then makes the team next year. As for this year, good to get him as much game action as possible.

I don't think of preseason games as all that important for the vets, and there aren't any other young guys knocking at the door.

The 5th line of RHP-Poehling-Ylonen from today's practice will make a great line in Laval. Belzile, who skated on the 4th line with Paquette and Hoffman out, is also in the right spot as he would make a better 13th or 14th forward when there are injuries. He's older and has a ton of experience. RHP-Poehling-Ylonen all need to play and gain more experience, and so are better suited for Laval.

Interesting that Perreault was ahead of Poehling on the depth chart for the 4c spot. I like that. I'd rather Poehling play 18-20 minutes a night in the AHL than on the 4th line in the NHL. I hope Perreault beats out Paquette, as we need a 4c with some skill. One of Armia, Anderson, or Drouin will likely be on the 4th line this year if we're ever fully healthy, plus one of Byron and Lehkonen. Those players have some skill.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
He just may not be a center at the NHL level. Doesn't mean he can't be a good winger. Wingers with size, speed, and hockey sense don't grow on trees in our organization or anywhere.

I agree with this, the problem for RP is we are overloaded with quality wingers right now. So if he can’t play centre there’s not a spot for him with the big club IMO.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
Eventually you have to pick the fruit that's been hanging for so long and give a bite to see exactly what you have. I think we have trade fodder personally. Stunning shiny toolbox loaded with nice tools but not enough upstairs to wield them wisely.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I agree with this, the problem for RP is we are overloaded with quality wingers right now. So if he can’t play centre there’s not a spot for him with the big club IMO.

He only has 60 AHL games under his belt. Nothing wrong with him getting a full season of seasoning in Laval under his belt, imo. Plekanec and Tatar played 3+ full seasons in the AHL.

Reactions: Canad13ns

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
On paper we are pretty solid at forward.

Potential 30 goal scorers :

Toffoli
Anderson
Hoffman
Caufield
Gallagher

Potential 25 goal scorers :

Suzuki
Dvorak

Potential 20 goal scorers :

Drouin
Armia

That's 240 goals potential combined maybe more. (I don't include the rest of players)

With a Price on a good shape, I really think we are going to make playoffs and can have another good run!

Canad13ns

Nov 6, 2018

First round draft picks always get way more chances than later picks, for better or worse, and Habs are desperate because they actually need him to go through the open door, even if he seems to be unable to find his way there.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
On paper we are pretty solid at forward.

Potential 30 goal scorers :

Toffoli
Anderson
Hoffman
Caufield
Gallagher

Potential 25 goal scorers :

Suzuki
Dvorak

Potential 20 goal scorers :

Drouin
Armia

That's 240 goals potential combined maybe more. (I don't include the rest of players)

With a Price on a good shape, I really think we are going to make playoffs and can have another good run!
I'm always in the glass half full camp, but I think you're being a little generous here.

30 Goal Potential:
Toffoli
Caufield

25 Goals:
Gally (reduced icetime this year for certain)
Anderson
Hoffman
Suzuki

20 Goals:
Dvorak (possibly 23 or 24 :) )

15-20 Goals depending on usage:
Armia
Byron
Drouin (unless he's magically rediscovered a shot / has got a new wrist)

Although we are going to be a little worse on D without Weber, I don't see us having a massively improved goals differential. However, we could well score a few more goals when it matters which leads to score effects on the game, more OT wins, etc.

Having both Caufield, Hoffman and to a lesser extent Dvorak available for 3v3 OT will translate into more OT wins without a doubt.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I don't think it's something to be excited about but I thought his last outing was better than anything I'd seen out of Paquette or Perreault. And I kinda like Perreault.

Yeah I would agree. I think he's been solid. I bet he starts the year alternative spots with those guys and hopefully build from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad