Post-Game Talk: Habs Lose 6-2

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
KK is still a kid with untapped potential, that is all. What good is it to have a guy like Danault when you can't score goals on most nights. The other team nets 2-3 goals and just sits on that, while your top offensive players can't rip a few on the PP. I would of kept Danault but they decided to go wirh KK instead, only to lose both anyways.
The goals Dvorak will score versus the goals that were not scored because Danault shut down, isn't it the same?
I could be optimistic and think it's not just the goals Dvorak will score but the chemistry he will have with his wingers, so more goals on that 2nd line overall or a team that clearly score more goals if the 2 first lines are hot. One thing improved compared with last year is better wingers (Caufield and Hoffman).

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Maybe but that's a big step for Suzuki. Looks like filling Danault's skates (usually we say shoes) is an harder job than some would expect.
Defensively ya, I think most are banking on compensating with an improved offensive output. Guy had 5 goals last season, if not put on the top lines, he's probably a 30-40pt guy. So if Suzuki can hit a 65-70+ plateau, Dvorak hover around 40, Evans hits 30, that could be good. That's all up in the air for now though.

Reactions: ItzaGreat

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Reports came out saying Habs were working on Dvorak deal before KK signed the offersheet. They were looking at him as Danault's replacement apparently.

So what, really? Reports came out KK had told management though his agent that he was done in MTL during the Finals. Not after, during.

Both Danault and KK were leaving, management knew about both. To say one report is off and my report is the truth, well hahaha don't change HF.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The goals Dvorak will score versus the goals that were not scored because Danault shut down, isn't it the same?
I could be optimistic and think it's not just the goals Dvorak will score but the chemistry he will have with his wingers, so more goals on that 2nd line overall or a team that clearly score more goals if the 2 first lines are hot. One thing improved compared with last year is better wingers (Caufield and Hoffman).

It's too difficult with me to determine how the Dvorak/Danault flip will turn out. I think it will come down to that Armia / Evans / Gallagher line cause it appears that will be the line that takes a lot of the D zone faceoffs. Dvorak and Suzuki's line will get a share as well but might be around a 60/40 split weighted on offense

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
So what, really? Reports came out KK had told management though his agent that he was done in MTL during the Finals. Not after, during.

Both Danault and KK were leaving, management knew about both. To say one report is off and my report is the truth, well hahaha don't change HF.

They propably shopped around KK and the return was likely less than a first + third.

Dvorak was a cheaper alternative to Danault. The Yotes probably wanted picks to tear it down and start a new, Bergy wasn't going to give them a first for free. Likely, the offer was KK and a second. The Canes probably called prior and told the Habs, they were going to poach KK. The Habs sat on it, watched the Canes ridicule themselves and send the first to the Yotes shortly after. Pretty explanatory.

As for Danault for 500k$ more per year, I would have kept him in the fold. However, they thought the window of opportunity to convince KK to stay was higher. Danault should have been traded before last year's start, but without him, they wouldn't have that deep playoff run.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
We now have a decent core of forwards but are thin in goal and on D. Ouch
The D is the real problem. This thread is going into offensive lines, the defensive lines but the D, ouch! Many questions, many changes. First of all, Price deoesn't start the season. Weber out, Edmunston injured, they are replaced by Savard and Wideman, ouch again! I didn't watched him closely but the media say Wideman is slow and not very good. Savard isn't very good either. Niku is injured, so the media says Guhle might start the season with the big team before he return in the juniors. And Hoffman is injured too. Like Marinaro, I fear the Habs will have a really bad start of the season. It will take a lot of work to win games in the middle and the end of the season. That will be difficult for the coaching staff, if they make the PO, kudos to the coaches.

Reactions: Tyson and ItzaGreat

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
The D is the real problem. This thread is going into offensive lines, the defensive lines but the D, ouch! Many questions, many changes. First of all, Price deoesn't start the season. Weber out, Edmunston injured, they are replaced by Savard and Wideman, ouch again! I didn't watched him closely but the media say Wideman is slow and not very good. Savard isn't very good either. Niku is injured, so the media says Guhle might start the season with the big team before he return in the juniors. And Hoffman is injured too. Like Marinaro, I fear the Habs will have a really bad start of the season. It will take a lot of work to win games in the middle and the end of the season. That will be difficult for the coaching staff, if they make the PO, kudos to the coaches.

I'm curious to see how Ducharme does over a full year. On one hand, he had a pretty bad RS record last season, but a lot of injuries to key players. On the other hand, the team won at the important moments.

No doubt its gonna be a rough start though

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They propably shopped around KK and the return was likely less than a first + third.

Dvorak was a cheaper alternative to Danault. The Yotes probably wanted picks to tear it down and start a new, Bergy wasn't going to give them a first for free. Likely, the offer was KK and a second. The Canes probably called prior and told the Habs, they were going to poach KK. The Habs sat on it, watched the Canes ridicule themselves and send the first to the Yotes shortly after. Pretty explanatory.

As for Danault for 500k$ more per year, I would have kept him in the fold. However, they thought the window of opportunity to convince KK to stay was higher. Danault should have been traded before last year's start, but without him, they wouldn't have that deep playoff run.

What would you pick?

1) KK, Hoffman, Savard = About $11M
vs
2) Danault, Dvorak, Merrill = About $11M

* Suzuki, Dvorak, Danault, Evans vs Suzuki, Dvorak, Evans, Perreault
* Savard vs Merrill
* Danault vs Hoffman
* KK vs Dvorak

Hoffman should have only been signed if we were able to trade Drouin IMO. And I don't think Savard provides $2.5M more in value than what Merrill can do.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
St Louis and Florida both did not want a 30 goal scorer in Hoffman...why? His salary was not too bad and he brought alot of offense.
I guess being one dimensional and not being a good locker room guy is a turn off.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
What would you pick?

1) KK, Hoffman, Savard = About $11M
vs
2) Danault, Dvorak, Merrill = About $11M

* Suzuki, Dvorak, Danault, Evans vs Suzuki, Dvorak, Evans, Perreault
* Savard vs Merrill
* Danault vs Hoffman
* KK vs Dvorak

Hoffman should have only been signed if we were able to trade Drouin IMO. And I don't think Savard provides $2.5M more in value than what Merrill can do.
Honestly, I would have signed Hoffman regardless. Drouin's future is pretty much in doubt. He has negative value and no respectable GM would touch that. They didn't buy him out in the summer which was a terrible decision, they would of had some 3 mil more in capspace. At least, both parties could have moved on from this experiment, and Drouin could have signed elsewhere for dirt cheap in an attempt to relaunch his career. It didn't happen. Why? Consider that Drouin has become the poster boy of this franchise. The only positive that I can see is if he rebounds and some team is willing to trade a top 4 LD. That would be a win-win for everyone.

So, Dvorak, Danault and Hoffman would definately have been an upgrade over Drouin and KK. As for Savard, he is a hometown french speaking player. Losing Danault meant one less french speaker. I'm surprised that Savard actually signed here, but I do believe he brings more than Merrill.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Honestly, I would have signed Hoffman regardless. Drouin's future is pretty much in doubt. He has negative value and no respectable GM would touch that. They didn't buy him out in the summer which was a terrible decision, they would of had some 3 mil more in capspace. At least, both parties could have moved on from this experiment, and Drouin could have signed elsewhere for dirt cheap in an attempt to relaunch his career. It didn't happen. Why? Consider that Drouin has become the poster boy of this franchise. The only positive that I can see is if he rebounds and some team is willing to trade a top 4 LD. That would be a win-win for everyone.

So, Dvorak, Danault and Hoffman would definately have been an upgrade over Drouin and KK. As for Savard, he is a hometown french speaking player. Losing Danault meant one less french speaker. I'm surprised that Savard actually signed here, but I do believe he brings more than Merrill.

I'm still a bit disgruntled that both Bergevin and Danault could not get a deal done. But maybe the events that happened ends up better. Hard to guess how it plays out. But I tell yeah... Suzuki, Dvorak, Danault would have been great in terms or rolling 3 lines in the match-up game. Lets see if Evans can fill that defensive shutdown usage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad