Habs lose 4-3

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Except Eller didn't call the Oilers a junior team. He didn't even say they lacked talent, just that they are disorganized, lacking structure and take a lot of risk, which by the way is actually spot on. That's why I think he just repeated words from the coaches. They sounded like a coach analysis.
If he said Oilers are a junior team hinting at them sucking then I would are with you, but that's not at all what he said.

As for Therrien, he should have explained the quote from Eller, make sure people know Eller wasn't dissing the Oilers, and mention that this has nothing to do with them blowing a lead (yet again).
After that, he can go tell Eller off in the locker room if he wants to.
Eller may not have meant to belittle the Oilers (I don't think he did) but his comments came out that way. They were inappropriate and I think that MT was right to say so. However you want to slice it, Eller was critical of the opposing team. It's a teaching moment and I think that's what MT was trying to say.

You have to be respectful of the other team and MT (regardless of whether Eller meant it or not) was right to basically apologize for the comments. By doing this it puts water on the fire and we can move and handle things internally going forward. And let's face facts - the comments weren't just inappropriate - they were downright stupid. Intent or not you just don't say that kind of ****.

I don't think MT needs to explain anything on Eller's behalf either. There's nothing to explain. Just say the comments weren't appropriate and came from a younger player who will learn from it and move on. Sometimes you just have to admit you were wrong to move forward and that's what we did here.

I think you're making a big deal out of nothing on this one dude.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
At least Diaz can make a pass. Bouillon can literally do one of three things when he gets the puck on his stick.

1. Turnover - highest likelihood
2. flip the puck in the air to nowhere in particular - aka the Bouillon drive killer
3. shoot it into a pair of shinpads - His PP speciality.

This is it, if you're expecting a nice tape to tape stretch pass, or even just moving it to his partner for safe exit from the zone you're out of luck. He's like an original Nintendo controller, only 2 buttons when everyone else is playing with 8.

:laugh:

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Except Eller didn't call the Oilers a junior team. He didn't even say they lacked talent, just that they are disorganized, lacking structure and take a lot of risk, which by the way is actually spot on. That's why I think he just repeated words from the coaches. They sounded like a coach analysis.
If he said Oilers are a junior team hinting at them sucking then I would are with you, but that's not at all what he said.

As for Therrien, he should have explained the quote from Eller, make sure people know Eller wasn't dissing the Oilers, and mention that this has nothing to do with them blowing a lead (yet again).
After that, he can go tell Eller off in the locker room if he wants to.

What Eller meant is irrelevant. How it came out is all that matters, because that is what the Oilers would use to motivate themselves. Whether he meant it or not, Eller started a fire, and MT just put out that fire.
Besides, if Eller did just regurgitated words from the coaches, well, hell, that's inappropriate as well. It's one thing to be critical of your own team, but if you are going to be critical about the opposing team BEFORE you play them, you better be ready to face the opposing teams response to said criticism.
And I'm with others who don't really see anything wrong with what MT said. Eller may have been right in his analysis, but he was dead wrong in actually verbalizing his analysis (assuming it was his and not the coaches). MT basically just apologized without insulting the Oilers nor Eller.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I was really happy to see Gorges on the ice the final couple minutes. We had amazing pressure, and old happy pants keeps throwing the puck into the corner instead of on net. I mean, why throw the puck on net when that's where all the traffic is? Keep dumping it into the corner Josh, you are a legend and a joy to watch.

vfactor

Dec 8, 2009
Montreal
I think the Eller comments really was a bad excuse. We had a 2-0 lead vs a pretty bad team. Eller was absolutely right that they was playing like 'junior'.

The 4 goals after that were in fact that Habs played sub par hockey and didn't have any killer instinct.

To say that Oilers won because 'motivation' from Eller comment is just a bad excuse. Even if Eller said something like that, there's no reason not to win the game.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
"I knew (the game) was going to turn (in our favour). That is a total Hockey God thing, and I'm sure that young man has learnt his lesson and I highly doubt that you'll see anything like that out of his mouth again," said Eakins.

He must be trolling the media and Montreal lol; get some pressure of the Oilers start to yet another terrible season.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
"I knew (the game) was going to turn (in our favour). That is a total Hockey God thing, and I'm sure that young man has learnt his lesson and I highly doubt that you'll see anything like that out of his mouth again," said Eakins.

He must be trolling the media and Montreal lol; get some pressure of the Oilers start to yet another terrible season.

That's something a fan would say, very bush league.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
At least Diaz can make a pass. Bouillon can literally do one of three things when he gets the puck on his stick.

1. Turnover - highest likelihood
2. flip the puck in the air to nowhere in particular - aka the Bouillon drive killer
3. shoot it into a pair of shinpads - His PP speciality.

This is it, if you're expecting a nice tape to tape stretch pass, or even just moving it to his partner for safe exit from the zone you're out of luck. He's like an original Nintendo controller, only 2 buttons when everyone else is playing with 8.

Player 81 disagrees.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Well said.

I'd tentatively welcome Boucher with open arms. None of that 1-3-1 trap bull though, solid hockey - maybe sacrifice some offensive positioning (our d-men make the breakout pass from the hashmarks... great for offense but not so much for defense) for a sturdier defensive shape and a better PK/PP.

For the love of god get JJ Daigneault out on his ass.

Guy Boucher was one win away from making the Stanley Cup Finals in his first year as a coach. With the ****ing Tampa Bay Lightning no less (I think his "#1 defenseman" was in fact Eric Brewer). That's gotta count for something, right?

Camio

Oct 19, 2013
Guy Boucher was one win away from making the Stanley Cup Finals in his first year as a coach. With the ****ing Tampa Bay Lightning no less (I think his "#1 defenseman" was in fact Eric Brewer). That's gotta count for something, right?

Seeing how his team performed afterwards, one can only think that was a blimp. Many coaches won the Cup without being very good. Heck, many good coaches never won the Cup.

Hartley won a Cup. Nobody thinks he's a top coach. Ruff never won a Cup. He's widely considered to be a top coach.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Eller may not have meant to belittle the Oilers (I don't think he did) but his comments came out that way. They were inappropriate and I think that MT was right to say so. However you want to slice it, Eller was critical of the opposing team. It's a teaching moment and I think that's what MT was trying to say.

You have to be respectful of the other team and MT (regardless of whether Eller meant it or not) was right to basically apologize for the comments. By doing this it puts water on the fire and we can move and handle things internally going forward. And let's face facts - the comments weren't just inappropriate - they were downright stupid. Intent or not you just don't say that kind of ****.

I don't think MT needs to explain anything on Eller's behalf either. There's nothing to explain. Just say the comments weren't appropriate and came from a younger player who will learn from it and move on. Sometimes you just have to admit you were wrong to move forward and that's what we did here.

I'm not making a big deal out of anything. I'm not the one claiming the comments were inappropriate. If it were up to me, this wouldn't even be a matter.
Except the media spun it as something, and Therrien bought it. Why? Because he was frustrated with the loss and can't explain why his team can't adjust midway through a game. So instead, he agrees with the Oilers coach about Eller, indirectly, being the reason as to why they won.
Were people talking about Eller's quote, or the fact our team can't adjust after the game? What water was put on the fire? All I heard today was quotes about Eller, and now Eller had to come out to admit they were inappropriate comments?? Please man.
Then I have to hear about how a rookie coach (Eakins) thinks Eller, ''such a young player who's unproven'', showed disrespect?

What really would had set this ''fire'' off was if Therrien laughed at the question and said Eller's quote had absolutely nothing to do with their loss. Which is actually very true. He did the same with PK in CGY, letting PK take the blame for the loss. It's pretty freaking weak from your coach.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
It's not about babying him, it's about letting a 19 year old focus on the offensive side of the game instead of getting bogged down trying to keep possession by himself.

In his current role he can get away with causing turnovers a little more than he'd be able to. And our wing depth becomes even more sad without him there. Who is going to cover his mistakes, Bourque? I'd rather he keep up focusing on his playmaking.

Like it or not, this team isn't tanking. We aren't the Oilers.

So if Galchenyuk makes mistakes and we lose some points and end up in the 8th seed vs a 6th seed who cares? If it expedites his development as a top line center then we should be doing it.

Just like signing mediocre free agents. It's part of the mediocrity death spiral. Make slight improvements to barely make the playoffs year after year.

Either you contending for a cup or you're rebuilding to win a cup. Anything in between is pointless.

Some recent examples of elite centers entering the league:

in Dec 2008, most thought Stamkos wasn't ready for the NHL including his recently fired coach. most in this HFBoards thread agreed. Yet within three months he was a PPG player and put up 95 points the next season. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=581614

And Seguin who was too selfish or too poor defensively or whatever to play center in Boston is now top line center for Dallas and has 10 points in 8 games with the max ice time of his career and is a +2.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What Eller meant is irrelevant. How it came out is all that matters, because that is what the Oilers would use to motivate themselves. Whether he meant it or not, Eller started a fire, and MT just put out that fire.
Besides, if Eller did just regurgitated words from the coaches, well, hell, that's inappropriate as well. It's one thing to be critical of your own team, but if you are going to be critical about the opposing team BEFORE you play them, you better be ready to face the opposing teams response to said criticism.
And I'm with others who don't really see anything wrong with what MT said. Eller may have been right in his analysis, but he was dead wrong in actually verbalizing his analysis (assuming it was his and not the coaches). MT basically just apologized without insulting the Oilers nor Eller.

Except the Oilers mocked Eller, and instead of defending him, MT agreed with the Oilers.
Now it's one thing if they were actually right in mocking him, then I would understand in him agreeing with them (although I would still be against it. I'm a strong believe of riding with your guys no matter what. After the ride, you can tell them how wrong they were, but in the middle of it you stand by your players), but he wasn't even wrong, his analysis was spot on and not even disrespectful (his point was that Habs have to be careful because they're an unpredictable team with talent).

And I don't even buy this motivation bull crap. Did Ottawa use ''big eyed walrus'' as a motivation last year after Prust called out MacLean?? Funny, I don't remember anybody calling out Prust on it from our side and he flat out insulted their coach. It's always easy to blame a kid I guess. I'm betting that you'll have plenty of reasons to excuse Prust's insult right? And then turn a non-insult from Eller into something more disrespectful than the Prust insult. Makes total sense.

Nashy

Living on Fish Island
Feb 2, 2006
Toronto
Yep, Eller's comments caused that loss......not the defensive lapses or the ****** lines, or a couple of weak Price goals.

Keep looking for a scapegoat Therrien.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Nothing wrong with that as far as I see anyway.What should he have said here?

Should have said, in public, that those comments were taken out of context, like Eller said, and that while he will clearly choose his words better next time, that Eller isn't a guy who thrash talk, like Eller himself said, and if the Oilers want to see him as the bad guy, it's their problem as it wasn't his intention at all. How about defending your player and just acknowledging what his player said and how he feels? When Ference made that gesture to the Habs crowd....what did Julien said?
“I think he’s been pretty open as to what he thinks of the situation,’’ said Julien. “His comments were pretty clear and I’m going to support my player. I think he’s a big boy, he’s capable of handling himself, and he’s giving money to charity.’’

OF COURSE, when the truth was out.....Ference looked stupid for his "unintentional comment"....but nobody remembered Julien that he protected his player. 'Cause Julien like every coach protects their players. We have no idea how it is behind closed doors, but in public you protect your players. What do we owe to the Oilers or the rest of the league? Why is that coaches go out of their way to bash the referees, but Therrien keeps no commenting? 'Cause Molson has a low cashflow? How come we have to be nice for everybody. Big thing out of nothing? Well, again, this is the subject we're talking about and we have an opinion on it. We'll surely move on from this. Don't worry. Still, I think it was dumb by Therrien to not protect his player.

Geez...did Eller said all the Oilers wives were ugly and that nobody on that roster deserved to live? You're saying we're making a big deal out of this by thinking that Therrien should have protected his player, and by reading your posts, you really believe Eller killed babies while eating his cereals....Come on man, there's TONS of things Therrien could have said that would have made Eller learned his lesson. Therrien could have nothing and Eller would have learned his lesson by the way the clown Eakins made a big show out of it. By the way.....Eakins, ALSO, did make a big thing out of it...and I hope to got it explodes in his face real soon. But when you have an opponent coach laughing at your player and the only thing you say about it is "inappropriate"....sorry, tells me a lot about the coach. Only time when Therrien "reacted" to being ridiculize was against Julien after the "diving" speech. And guess what....he needed a full day to do something even if he knew what Julien had said before. But he reacted. Bravo. I want more reaction. I want more fire from the coach. I obviously want him to coach better, though that might not be so obvious, but a little emotion wouldn't be bad. And it shoudl start by protecting his players and his team, especially with all that diving fiasco we're still witnessing when the Habs are probably one of the few teams that get calls on diving while all the others do it....How about protecting your team? Any chance making comments about how he is totally for the diving penalties THOUGH it has to be called for everybody? How about not accepting that you might be the only team that should be targetted as a diving team?

What fire? Are we going to play the Oilers and we're so afraid they'll use that for the upcoming 6 games that we had to put an end to that? Nope. We're done against that. So what other fire? All the other teams will use that? Even if they would...do really think that saying "We'e sorry" will fix anything? Therrien should have protected his player in public. Period. We don't owe anything to anybody. Everybody is criticizing us, bashing us, yet, not only we "No comments" all around, but when we comment, is to bash our own. That's just great.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Yep, Eller's comments caused that loss......not the defensive lapses or the ****** lines, or a couple of weak Price goals.

Keep looking for a scapegoat Therrien.

Yep. Eller made us lose that game. Not Desharnais and all the others. And not Therrien and his game plan. Yet, Therrien said it...his great game plan worked as we were winning 2-0. Then, they stopped executing and we lost. I mean, Therrien had NO CHOICE but to let this game go....no timeouts was possible. Couldn't talk to his guys during tv timeouts, couldn't use the time between the 2nd and 3rd....couldn't do anything. Therrien was just a witness to our bad play. Poor Michel.

Nashy

Living on Fish Island
Feb 2, 2006
Toronto
Yep. Eller made us lose that game. Not Desharnais and all the others. And not Therrien and his game plan. Yet, Therrien said it...his great game plan worked as we were winning 2-0. Then, they stopped executing and we lost. I mean, Therrien had NO CHOICE but to let this game go....no timeouts was possible. Couldn't talk to his guys during tv timeouts, couldn't use the time between the 2nd and 3rd....couldn't do anything. Therrien was just a witness to our bad play. Poor Michel.

Throwing your players under the bus once in awhile works.....see John Tortorella, but Therrien is starting to make it a habit. Eller and PK are young....protect them publicly, scold them privately. I absolutely hate how the Habs have become door mats to other team coaches as well the refs. I never thought I'd say this, but give me Patrick Roy, no way he throws any of his guys under the bus for the same **** that Therrien has and no way he's not calling out the refs for the absolute BS embezzlement calls that don't go both ways.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Hm... our defense. It really is a bit top-heavy, isn't it. :/

Subban >>> (big drop-off) >>> Markov >>> (big drop-off) >>> the rest

at least the rookies will get better. I think Beaulieu and Tinordi have great potential.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Throwing your players under the bus once in awhile works.....see John Tortorella, but Therrien is starting to make it a habit. Eller and PK are young....protect them publicly, scold them privately. I absolutely hate how the Habs have become door mats to other team coaches as well the refs. I never thought I'd say this, but give me Patrick Roy, no way he throws any of his guys under the bus for the same **** that Therrien has and no way he's not calling out the refs for the absolute BS embezzlement calls that don't go both ways.

Throwing them under the bus is one thing, not defending them when being mocked is another.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Damn. 22 pages. I wish that Gionta would have made that Junior comment. Thread would be the same length as the normal Gionta bashing.;)

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I think too many beeyotches are catching feelings on behalf of these players. Eller learned a media lesson, and you can be sure they've talked about it at length behind doors, so our perceptions turned concerns as fans are likely just as misconstrued as Eller's original comments were by the media.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad