Habs lose 4-3

sventington

Sep 18, 2013
I didn't have any issues with Holland.

My opinion might be irrelevant though, as I like Gorges.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
"He's a young player," said Canadiens head coach Michel Therrien of Eller. "I think he'll learn from that. He made inappropriate comments."

Am I the only one who doesn't see anything wrong with this? I don't see why folks are so upset with the coach here. Could've taken a different tact sure but I don't think it's that bad.

MT's got a negative coaching style... I personally am not a fan of it but I've to be honest here he's getting the most out of Eller and Subban. I disagree with it but can't argue with the results.

What I would like to see (and hope happens) is that at some point he 'flips the switch' and starts to praise these guys and gives them more responsibility. If he does that then there's a method to his madness. If not... he runs the risk of losing the room.

As for his comments on Eller here though? I don't have any issue with it and I don't think he's throwing Eller under the bus. Maybe I missed something here but I don't have a problem with anything that MT said.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
"He's a young player," said Canadiens head coach Michel Therrien of Eller. "I think he'll learn from that. He made inappropriate comments."

Am I the only one who doesn't see anything wrong with this? I don't see why folks are so upset with the coach here. Could've taken a different tact sure but I don't think it's that bad.

MT's got a negative coaching style... I personally am not a fan of it but I've to be honest here he's getting the most out of Eller and Subban. I disagree with it but can't argue with the results.

What I would like to see (and hope happens) is that at some point he 'flips the switch' and starts to praise these guys and gives them more responsibility. If he does that then there's a method to his madness. If not... he runs the risk of losing the room.

As for his comments on Eller here though? I don't have any issue with it and I don't think he's throwing Eller under the bus. Maybe I missed something here but I don't have a problem with anything that MT said.

Makes for great 'shopping, though. That's all I care :laugh:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
What are the odds we don't have to suffer through Bouillon and Desharnais playing every single game this season? I'm not liking them about as much as I'm not liking having to suffer through them playing every game :(

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

LOL you'd think someone would of posted MT's WHOLE comment/sentence instead of just "inapropriate" to freak everyone out

Domenic

Jan 13, 2007
Calgary, AB
Wait a sec, Andy. Weren't you the one in another thread using the absence of Emelin as a major reason for Price's poor finish to last year. Yet you make no mention of him now when we're talking of the Habs' poor play.

This team is missing 6 regulars - I don't give a phoque what the other poster thinks - and very few teams in the league right now can lose six regulars and still win in a consistent fashion. Especially when 3 (Patchs, Prust & Emelin) of those 6 are very important players. You could say 4 if you believed Briere was ready to break out but I'm not one of those so that's why I said only 3.

Not to be a cliche, but it really is "how they lost" that's infuriating. It's going to be very difficult to win games with 6 regulars out, but it's going to be even harder if the team continues to show no fight, no commitment to defence, and no grit.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Habs lost because of bad coaching

Diaz & Gorges on the ice during the 4 on 4 :facepalm:

i'd bet you a million space bucks that markov and subban were on just the shift before. hence going with these two.

unless you'd rather boullion and brolieu

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
What are the odds we don't have to suffer through Bouillon and Desharnais playing every single game this season? I'm not liking them about as much as I'm not liking having to suffer through them playing every game :(

Bouillon > Diaz
IMHO

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

i dont see anything wrong with it. eller said something stupid that may or may not have contributed to the oilers coming out strong in the second and his coach is basically saying it was a stupid thing to say and im pretty sure he told him in private too. he's young, he learned, bet he won't be doing it again.

and **** it, had he defended eller, this board would be calling him out for being too soft on players talking **** to the media and pumping other teams so either way i don't see how this funny looking white guy comes out on top in this situation. too many butthurt agenda pushers in here anyways

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
first off they DIDNT fight

and 2nd if you think thats a reason why we lost well.... wow

I'm not bashing Moen or putting the lose on him. Just saying it was a stupid and useless fight which to me changed the mood of the game.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I'm not bashing Moen or putting the lose on him. Just saying it was a stupid and useless fight which to me changed the mood of the game.

Montreal stopped playing and caring, thats what changed the game.

The "fight" had nothing to do with any thing. Id wager the no calls on the 3 times Price was hit were more of a turning point in the game.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
He probably got his ice time cut later in the game, but in the first period he looked good. Made some nice plays to keep possession of the puck.

I agree, he made a couple of smart plays and he wasn't a liability. That's pretty good for a first NHL game.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Only MaxPac is our only key injury.

Parros, really?
Drewiske, who?
Murray, he's a better version of Parros on defense. In other words, he sucks at defending, but can scrap pretty well.
Briere, we're better without him in the line up. Was an obvious dumb signing, the only persons that defended it were guys that just weren't ready to criticize MB yet.
Emelin, let's stop pretending like Emelin was this amazing shutdown defender. He was a decent guy, top 4 at best, who brings a physical presence but he was not the rock everybody make him out to be. He was still getting confused on what side to play on for crying out loud.
Prust, no doubt, brings good things to our club. But he's a 3rd liner, we should be more than fine without him. I wouldn't classify him as a key injury, otherwise you can pretty much say 80% of the players are key.
MaxPac, our best winger. Definitely a key injury.

So ya, we have injuries, we still have Eller-Gally-Galla-Plek-Gio-DD-Bourque-PK-Markov-Gorges-Diaz-Price. We should be able to at least put out a consistent effort.

Jeeze Marc Bergevin must be a real idiot for giving those other players not named Paccioretty contracts. So at the start of the season why didn't he call up Hamilton and ask the Dogs to send 5 other scrubs who would be willing to play for peanuts because Parros, Prust, Emelin, Murray & Briere don't make a difference if they're in or if they're out.

P.S. notice I made no mention of Drewiske.

The parity in this league is a reality and there's very little difference between the teams. You take 6 NHLers off any team you start to fall off the parity totem poll. And don't give me this crap that those players don't make a dif. If They didn't make a difference, they would be playing in the AHL or in KHL or posting on these boards.

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
didn't watch the game glad I didn't...Its still early yet and with such a long season, can't
get too down after a bad game, I am concerned with the lack of intensity on home ice, the fans in Montreal deserve a winner, our talent is all there, we need heart and I'm afraid thats not something you can teach, Gallagher again should be the poster boy for how everyone on this team plays, As coach, Therrien needs to get the most out of his players, If we are hovering around 500 or less by half way mark Therrien should go.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Because that was in response to Eakins mocking Eller.
It showed that Therrien agreed with Eakins, and I don't like to see that. He showed have Eller's back.
Furthermore, I'm willing to bet anything that everybody agreed with Eller's comment, so to call him out on it is a tad hypocritical. Also, his comments were taken out of context, i wouldn't be surprised if what he said came out of a coaches mouth, like PK in CGY. I'm convinced of it actually.

I would just like to see Therrien stick up for his guys for a change.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It showed that Therrien agreed with Eakins, and I don't like to see that. He showed have Eller's back.
Furthermore, I'm willing to bet anything that everybody agreed with Eller's comment, so to call him out on it is a tad hypocritical. Also, his comments were taken out of context, i wouldn't be surprised if what he said came out of a coaches mouth, like PK in CGY. I'm convinced of it actually.

He does.. he sticks up for DD, Bouillon, Gorges and Gionta every game.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

The comments were inappropriate. I think it's important that not only our coach say it - but Eller as well. You have to at least acknowledge that the comments were wrong here otherwise it looks like you agree that the Oilers are a junior team. He HAS to speak out on the comments man. Can you imagine if some other team said that about us? We'd all be waiting for an apology from that team's players and coaches. So he acknowledged that it was wrong. This was the right thing to do.

He also said Eller was a young player and that he'll learn from it. I don't see how this is throwing him under the bus. The comments WERE inappropriate and MT acknowledged it... he didn't make fun of Eller or blast him. Just said that it was the wrong thing to say and that his young player would learn from it.

Nothing wrong with that as far as I see anyway.

What should he have said here?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Jeeze Marc Bergevin must be a real idiot for giving those other players not named Paccioretty contracts. So at the start of the season why didn't he call up Hamilton and ask the Dogs to send 5 other scrubs who would be willing to play for peanuts because Parros, Prust, Emelin, Murray & Briere don't make a difference if they're in or if they're out.

P.S. notice I made no mention of Drewiske.

The parity in this league is a reality and there's very little difference between the teams. You take 6 NHLers off any team you start to fall off the parity totem poll. And don't give me this crap that those players don't make a dif. If They didn't make a difference, they would be playing in the AHL or in KHL or posting on these boards.

Outside of MaxPac and Emelin, none of the guys you mentioned were part of the top 9 or 4d at the start of the year.
Every player can play a role, but when I talk about key players I'll want more from them.
Markov, Price, PK, Max..they are key players. I don't put Emelin and Prust on the same level, and certainly not Murray, Briere and Parros either.

Doesn't mean they can't be important to us. But they aren't key guys. Key guys to me are irreplaceable.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The comments were inappropriate. I think it's important that not only our coach say it - but Eller as well. You have to at least acknowledge that the comments were wrong here otherwise it looks like you agree that the Oilers are a junior team. He HAS to speak out on the comments man. Can you imagine if some other team said that about us? We'd all be waiting for an apology from that team's players and coaches. So he acknowledged that it was wrong. This was the right thing to do.

He also said Eller was a young player and that he'll learn from it. I don't see how this is throwing him under the bus. The comments WERE inappropriate and MT acknowledged it... he didn't make fun of Eller or blast him. Just said that it was the wrong thing to say and that his young player would learn from it.

Nothing wrong with that as far as I see anyway.

What should he have said here?

Except Eller didn't call the Oilers a junior team. He didn't even say they lacked talent, just that they are disorganized, lacking structure and take a lot of risk, which by the way is actually spot on. That's why I think he just repeated words from the coaches. They sounded like a coach analysis.
If he said Oilers are a junior team hinting at them sucking then I would are with you, but that's not at all what he said.

As for Therrien, he should have explained the quote from Eller, make sure people know Eller wasn't dissing the Oilers, and mention that this has nothing to do with them blowing a lead (yet again).
After that, he can go tell Eller off in the locker room if he wants to.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Bouillon > Diaz
IMHO

At least Diaz can make a pass. Bouillon can literally do one of three things when he gets the puck on his stick.

1. Turnover - highest likelihood
2. flip the puck in the air to nowhere in particular - aka the Bouillon drive killer
3. shoot it into a pair of shinpads - His PP speciality.

This is it, if you're expecting a nice tape to tape stretch pass, or even just moving it to his partner for safe exit from the zone you're out of luck. He's like an original Nintendo controller, only 2 buttons when everyone else is playing with 8.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad