Habs lose 4-3 in OT

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I remember it well and it certainly played its part in the proceedings last evening.
Our team seems to have a short memory?
We often talk of lack of vision in our coaching group this is a prime example.
I though of it before the game didn't they warn our players not to engage PERIOD?
The problem with this board is the knee jerk reaction to anything good or bad when in the heat of a moment. The fact that our two top performers besides God in Nets were goaded into that stupidity is alarming. Not one person would be saying it's only a preseason...it's meaningless Had either one of them been injured.

Fights are emotional. I get it. The part of your brain that says, "Rise above it. Get a power-play", is shouted down by your glands screaming, "Oh yeah??? Well &%&$%# you mutha*******!!" Nobody likes being pushed and nobody likes watching one of our own get pushed. So I give Pacioretty and Subban a pass for being young guys with pride. And I give our fan base a pass for the bile rising up our digestive tracts as we watched our stars being hit.

But the moment has passed. After last night's meaningless fight in a meaningless game, Montreal remains a far better team than Ottawa. This had nothing to do with 'messages' or 'deterrence' - this was Neil acting like his usual meathead self. If anything, it hurts Ottawa, because guess who'll be playing with their heads up next time: Karlsson and Ryan. Neil's bonehead move made his own team's stars more vulnerable.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Just watched highlights from the Toronto - Detroit game, the Habs may have a real test playing their opener in Toronto. The Leafs could have scored 8 goals against the lowly Red Wings with Gustafsson(Monster) in nets. Kozun(C) the former LA Kings prospect showed some pretty good hands, setting up two goals while scoring one himself. All their goals coming 5 on 5, so the Habs better be ready for a tough game against the Leafs.(Oct.8th)

It won't get easier on Oct.9th in Washington, playing the Capitals with their new system(Trotz) defence first. Having their first 4 games on the road, with Philadelphia (Oct.11th) and Tampa (Oct.13th) Drouin will be looking to begin his career totals against the Habs.

Oct.16th finally the home opener against who else but the "big bad Bruins" to start a four game home stand. That features Colorado(Roy/MacKinnon/Duchene)Oct.18th, Detroit (Oct.21st), NYR's (Oct.25th).

Then for a Western road swing, Edmonton(Oct.27th), Calgary(Oct.28th) and Vancouver(Oct.30th). Before coming home to Calgary(Nov.2nd) and Chicago(Nov.4th) a fast and furious pace with two back to back games in October.

It's going to be a fun ride in October 11 games in 22 days and two road trips, let's hope the Habs come out swinging. One bad month can ruin any playoff hopes, in these days of parity throughout the NHL, every team that missed the playoffs are looking to make a fast start. Each of those teams coaches have instilled in their players the importance of having quick starts, after reading the Previews on NHL.com about what to expect. I'm expecting teams to be playing tight checking close defensive battles, even from Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Carolina, NYI's and Buffalo. Despite some of the blowout scores seen in the pre-season, many teams were playing mostly prospects in those games.

Vancouver & NYI's will be two teams out to redeem themselves after very poor season's last year. Columbus & NYR's are two teams I believe will be in the fight from the start, Columbus will surprise with a quick start, they are a really strong ES team. NYR's lost a lot of players over the summer, but that just made room for them to bring up JT Miller, Jesper Fast and veteran Ryan Malone, adding firepower to late season addition Martin St. Louis. They will be a fast team and Anthony Duclair is another that may make the cuts, with his amazing speed.

There won't be any easy games this year, parity is growing faster each season, with all teams realizing the importance of drafting, along with good defensive play & goalkeeping. I'm expecting the Habs to be in a dogfight until the last weekend for a playoff spot in the East, as Bergevin was quoted every team has gotten better over the summer, not just the Habs.:nod:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Oh, so we're caring about these games now?

I care about his performance every time Price went down to injury.. Its been brutal every time. We have a young goalie who can come in and perform admirably.

This was an audition because he's on the bubble against tokarski and he looked brutal.

There's no coincidence that they turned to Tokarski in the play offs because they don't trust Budaj when it matters. Factor in the cap savings, its a no brainer.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Any Habs fan still feeling 'humiliated' because of a useless fight in a meaningless game should re-watch a clip of the Habs' comeback against the Sens last season. Reclaim your perspective of what humiliation really means.

Kettle meet pot?

Playoffs, 2 years ago?

Habs will be fine, they know they need to be tougher, and I don't "think" they will let something like that happen again.

firewagon77*

Bergevin you need to pick up one more scorer before the playoffs,this team has not been able to score on even strength for 2 decades.....there are 3 rent a players with 1 year left on their contracts....Chris Stewart,Curtis Glencross,and Joel Ward,or you could trade for a player with 2 years left on his contract ....Eric Staal,Dustin Byfuglien,Andrew Ladd,or Troy Brouwer.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I care about his performance every time Price went down to injury.. Its been brutal every time. We have a young goalie who can come in and perform admirably.

This was an audition because he's on the bubble against tokarski and he looked brutal.

There's no coincidence that they turned to Tokarski in the play offs because they don't trust Budaj when it matters. Factor in the cap savings, its a no brainer.
No cap savings if he's not claimed. In fact, it adds more money to the books.

And you didn't have to explain yourself, it was a simple joke off one of your previous posts. :P

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Beaulieu looks like a lock. His confidence is high. He's creating offensive opportunities.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Fights are emotional. I get it. The part of your brain that says, "Rise above it. Get a power-play", is shouted down by your glands screaming, "Oh yeah??? Well &%&$%# you mutha*******!!" Nobody likes being pushed and nobody likes watching one of our own get pushed. So I give Pacioretty and Subban a pass for being young guys with pride. And I give our fan base a pass for the bile rising up our digestive tracts as we watched our stars being hit.

But the moment has passed. After last night's meaningless fight in a meaningless game, Montreal remains a far better team than Ottawa. This had nothing to do with 'messages' or 'deterrence' - this was Neil acting like his usual meathead self. If anything, it hurts Ottawa, because guess who'll be playing with their heads up next time: Karlsson and Ryan. Neil's bonehead move made his own team's stars more vulnerable.

The brains have to trump the adrenaline...
Lesson well served.
I think with the success we forged playing a skill pressure game last year. (post season)
We can certainly expect the same everywhere. Beat on the Habs.
We have Carey but we need PP amongst other things...

firewagon77*

Good to see Charles Hudon have a good 1st game for the Bulldogs 1 goal and 1 assist.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
I don't want Pacioretty or Subban to fight but it's nice to see them stick for themselves, shows a lot of character. But yeah, let Prust and co. handle the mediocre players which Ottawa is full of.

The season can't start soon enough.

MauriceTheGreat*

Just hope anyone who can throw some punches will be in the lineup tonight.

TINORDI I'M SPEAKING TO YOU.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
What's up with Eller? He has played one pre season game and he's not on the projected line up for tonight

He had a therapy day yesterday. Although he took part in the optional skate, it appears he is still nursing the injury suffered in the scrimmages when Emelin hip-checked him.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I couldn't pay too much attention to the game last night, was having a hockey pool draft, but I thought De la Rose was impressive

I can see why he's stuck around despite not doing anything very noticeable yet... He's a very intelligent player, I prefer him at center, should be the ideal replacement for Plekanec in 2 years

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I couldn't pay too much attention to the game last night, was having a hockey pool draft, but I thought De la Rose was impressive

I can see why he's stuck around despite not doing anything very noticeable yet... He's a very intelligent player, I prefer him at center, should be the ideal replacement for Plekanec in 2 years

I've said so since his first Red/White.
There is a huge disconnect between what many fans want to see vs what management do see.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I've said so since his first Red/White.
There is a huge disconnect between what many fans want to see vs what management do see.
Yeah he's the kind of player who you won't notice during a game, but coaches appreciate what he does, he doesn't cheat and fulfills all his assignments, great skater, excellent*size

I'd be curious to see how he did in the face-off circle last night...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad