Post-Game Talk: Habs lose 3-2 to Sens Pt. Deux

TUCKER 06

May 22, 2012
I try to be an optimistic Habs fan, but....

Well, it's been a hell of a year boys and girls.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Lots of positives this year.

Galchenyuk, Eller, Emelin, Subban, Tinordi and Beaulieu all kept progressing nicely.

A quick turn around from the basement.

Yes, this series is going horrible wrong, but the future is bright.

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
The positive here is that we could be in for an epic comeback, and I mean really epic.

But now I feel more like complaning. I'll start hoping again when we score the first goal thursday..One goal at a time, one game at a time.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
The positive here is that we could be in for an epic comeback, and I mean really epic.

But now I feel more like complaning. I'll start hoping again when we score the first goal thursday..One goal at a time, one game at a time.

I want the GWG to be Price/Budaj booting it from the box/crease down ice into Anderson's net.

The n00b King

Kingin' since 2003
Feb 10, 2008
Singapore
Although I'm also on the side of 'its just not meant to be this year', this feels a lot like how the Bruins fans felt the last time we eliminated them. They took us for all it was worth and then won the cup a few years after. I can only hope that this is the direction we are headed in.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
By Monctonscout/Carey Price from the other thread

Galchenyuk had a nice goal, but not sure where you see him as our "MVP". He didn't do much else and struggled a few shifts with Ottwawa being in our end. Eller and Gionta were missing out there the last 5 minutes a lot moreso than Galchenyuk. It was bad enough Tinordi was in no man's land on the soccer goal.

Not sure what your definition of "major" role is or why those guys can't be solid regulars. I but be missing something and Ottawa only has superstars on their top 2 lines and top 4 on defense.

I'm not surprised you didn't see Chucky has clearly been our best player in this series. You are, after all, the guy who still thinks Gorges is a #3 d-man anywhere in the league, and a top-2 D in several D-squads.

Galchenyuk was dominating the play each and every time he had the puck. It was painfully obvious. He's tied for 1st in scoring for us in these playoffs, and the Sens d-men had a TOUGH time containing him no matter what he was doing.

You're blaming Tinordi, a 20 years old rookie learning to play in the NHL in the middle of a playoffs run? When the guy who lost his board battle to the guy who made the pass/who couldn't neutralize the passer was as much, if not even more at fault? And that, on a bad goal anyway? Yeah. You really must've LOVED Jacques Martin.

Diaz was not a solid regular in those playoffs
Gorges was not a solid player at all this season
And Gionta has done nothing of value in these playoffs neither

All three are passive guys. Diaz and Gorges don't defend their blueline, they keep backing up and opening options to the opposing forwards.

Gionta can't forecheck to save his life. You want to see what a great forechecker is? Look no further than Rene Bourque. He might have some weak areas in his game, but he's one hell of a forechecker. Gionta doesn't forecheck. He buzzes like a mosquito and provokes no turnover whatsoever. He's not even going to the net with regularity anymore.

These guys are all parts of the reason why this team is not ready to be contenders. Something can be done quickly in the offseason about this. We'll see if Bergevin looks at his options and decides to fix what has been wrong for way too long now.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Lots of positives this year.

Galchenyuk, Eller, Emelin, Subban, Tinordi and Beaulieu all kept progressing nicely.

A quick turn around from the basement.

Yes, this series is going horrible wrong, but the future is bright.

Yeah, and if we lose, we won't have the illusion that this team is good enough to be in this position every year. A comeback would be great though, but it would be a miracle at this point. Anderson is good, and we are not generating nearly enough good scoring chances.

But the core is growing and it's gonna become easier for Bergevin to really turn this team around.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Yeah, and if we lose, we won't have the illusion that this team is good enough to be in this position every year. A comeback would be great though, but it would be a miracle at this point. Anderson is good, and we are not generating nearly enough good scoring chances.

But the core is growing and it's gonna become easier for Bergevin to really turn this team around.

I agree but we have to come to the realization that we cannot win in the playoffs with this small of a team and no variety on D.

Cannot have Gionta, Gallagher and Desharnais in your top 6. Won't work.

Cannot have Markov, Diaz and Bouillon in your top 6 D. Won't work.

arian487

Jul 15, 2009
Sens fan coming in peace. I just wanted to say that yes, the icing calls were BS but I don't think the loss was the icing calls, the loss was that you guys sat back and stopped playing the way you did in the first two periods. This is what killed you guys in game 1 as well. With speed and skill, you guys are always in our zone and am pretty sure we'd be losing this series.

Blown calls happen, as a team you live with them and regroup and you always try and put yourself in a position so that a small blown call like an icing is not the make or break for your team.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the review for the first goal Toronto's decision? As in, the refs make a call and if Toronto does not agree with it, they have veto power. That means both the refs and the Toronto office were okay with the call. I'll admit when I first saw it I was sure it would be disallowed but if you saw the breakdown on TSN, the reason they called it a goal was because Zibby hit the puck with his stick first and directed it in his skate, so it was deemed a redirection.

As for some of you claiming theres some grand conspiracy against the Habs, I hope most of you don't actually believe that. The NHL has nothing to gain from rigging anything for the Sens (the Habs would make them way more money).

Anyways, great series so far and good luck in game 5, don't lose hope yet!

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Sens fan coming in peace. I just wanted to say that yes, the icing calls were BS but I don't think the loss was the icing calls, the loss was that you guys sat back and stopped playing the way you did in the first two periods. This is what killed you guys in game 1 as well. With speed and skill, you guys are always in our zone and am pretty sure we'd be losing this series.

Blown calls happen, as a team you live with them and regroup and you always try and put yourself in a position so that a small blown call like an icing is not the make or break for your team.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the review for the first goal Toronto's decision? As in, the refs make a call and if Toronto does not agree with it, they have veto power. That means both the refs and the Toronto office were okay with the call. I'll admit when I first saw it I was sure it would be disallowed but if you saw the breakdown on TSN, the reason they called it a goal was because Zibby hit the puck with his stick first and directed it in his skate, so it was deemed a redirection.

As for some of you claiming theres some grand conspiracy against the Habs, I hope most of you don't actually believe that. The NHL has nothing to gain from rigging anything for the Sens (the Habs would make them way more money).

Yeah, sitting back. That's what happens when you play Diaz and Gorges as if they were top-4 d-men. The whole team follows that stupid philosophy.

The worst part is that one of these two bums actually speaks as if he was the captain of this team... What a travesty.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I think it might be a good for us to loose.... Prust need surgery, Price is injured, Markov is tired as *****, White injured, Gionta injured, Pacioretty playing injured, etc... It would not look good in round 2...

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
By Monctonscout/Carey Price from the other thread

I'm not surprised you didn't see Chucky has clearly been our best player in this series. You are, after all, the guy who still thinks Gorges is a #3 d-man anywhere in the league, and a top-2 D in several D-squads.

Galchenyuk was dominating the play each and every time he had the puck. It was painfully obvious. He's tied for 1st in scoring for us in these playoffs, and the Sens d-men had a TOUGH time containing him no matter what he was doing.

Do you really think that Galchenyuk has been our best player?

Gallagher, Bourque, Plekanec and Subban have all been better than him.

Galchenyuk will be a great player one day but he still has a lot to learn. Defensively, he can be unreliable and he sometimes is scared of being hit. Offensively, he shows a lot of promise but still needs to win more puck battles.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
I'm pist off at yesterday's game but it's out of my control. Gotta relax... it's just hockey

We have to great rookies. Cap heaven, we will het bigger this summer. Smile

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Do you really think that Galchenyuk has been our best player?

Gallagher, Bourque, Plekanec and Subban have all been better than him.

Galchenyuk will be a great player one day but he still has a lot to learn. Defensively, he can be unreliable and he sometimes is scared of being hit. Offensively, he shows a lot of promise but still needs to win more puck battles.

Was Galchenyuk our best skater? No. Subban was.
Was Galchenyuk was our best forward? Yes. Might not be by a huge margin, but he was. Bourque and Plekanec were decent too, but Galchenyuk as a whole was just as good. He generated and insane amount of scoring chances/minutes played ratio. He was giving fits to the Ottawa d-men, and was always generating things. He even started hitting more.

Gallagher? Nothing against the kid, he made a lot of efforts and it paid off a couple of times, but in the end, he's -6 and has not generated as many scoring chances as Galchenyuk.

arian487

Jul 15, 2009
Go back to your ****ing board. Pretty sure that would you be crying right now if it would have happened to your sens.

Of course, but I'm pretty sure I'd have also criticized my team for being unable take a stranglehold and win the game. Blaming this loss solely on the refs is not constructive.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Really tough loss to accept last night, I don't really care what any other fanbase says...anyone would be upset at some of the calls that went agains the Habs last night. They didn't get the benefit of the doubt once.

But at the end of the day, that's not what contributed directly to the loss...

I know that at 2-0...I thought the habs needed to score one more goal to bury the sens. They had 2 great chances to do that, Bourque fanned on a beautiful feed from someone, can't remember who...he had an open net. Also, Markov kinda fanned on his backdoor attempt after a beauty pass from Galchenyuk.

I kind of new the game was done at that point...you can't let the Sens within striking distance. They've been that way all year.

This really hasn't been the habs series, they deserve a much better fate then they've received so far, add in the injuries to Eller, Gionta, White, Pacioretty, Price and it just doesn't seem like it's our year to advance. A shame really

Curiously...i'm not as devastated as I thought I might be. Some part of me still believes this series is far from over.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal

Of course, blown calls happen. We are still entitled to be mad about the poor officiating. Again, the goal was a 50/50 call. The icing was a basic hockey call. Like a poster said, Karlsson flying into the offensive zone but looking like Hal Gill getting back is facepalm worthy.

Montreal played a pretty good road game, sat back in the third period and gets the blown calls. This, to me, should be a tie series.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Of course, but I'm pretty sure I'd have also criticized my team for being unable take a stranglehold and win the game. Blaming this loss solely on the refs is not constructive.

I certainly don't blame the loss on the officiating...The Habs lost in the end because

A- They didn't score that crucial 3rd goal which would of buried the Sens (repeat of game 1)

B - Because they couldn't keep a lead

However, saying the officiating wasn't a factor in how the game played out is not being realistic. Of course, that's not the Sens problem, they did what they had to do to win and full marks to them.

But it's difficult to win in those circumstances for the Habs...you expect to get at least ONE of those 50/50 calls

The officiating was not NHL quality last night...doesn't discredit what the Sens did though.

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto

The NHL is rooting for Anderson and Karlsson. People looove these guys. Also, what better way to raise the Sens' profile and promote the franchise than a gongshow of a series like this one? Not saying there is a conspiracy, but you are wrong when saying the NHL has nothing to gain.

Most importantly, if this were to happen to their team, they would not accept it, know that the there was no excuse for the reffing, and even the Team would not accept it. THAT'S how strongly the Habs were screwed over yesterday.

Those saying the icings had nothing to do with the outcome clearly haven't watched much hockey where MANY goals are scored after having an icing called against a tired team OR are just trying to make themselves feel good about the Sens win. It was KARLSSON skating in molasses! Hey, what happened to the 'best skater in the NHL'? Huh, apparently, it doesn't apply in circumstances like these.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad