Post-Game Talk: Habs los... wait what? They won in extra time!

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
What you do is you get teams to take your contracts like Byron, Chiarot or maybe Allen. To do this you need a rebuilding partner with cap space. This is just GM'ing 101 and it shouldn't be hard to do.
Perhaps if the drafted better they wouldn't be forced to secure players with improvident contracts. The failures and incompetence in player/asset management have been cascading for the past 30 years. Dumb, as Bobby Knight once famously intoned; always loses.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
This does not mean the division is easier by any means, it is a different composition : what is harder for a playoff team : being among 6 potential playoff teams or behind 2 top teams and before 4/5 easy teams ?

There are no division that have 4/5 easy teams. Listen, you can misrepresent things to convince yourself, but personally, it won't fly.

Each other division than the North has at least 2 top 10 teams and at least 1 or 2 borderline top 10 teams. North has one borderline top 10 team. This alone makes a much bigger difference than whatever difference there is between the 4th and 8th team of each division.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Against the cap....the entire goddam Board wanted us up AGAINST the cap....but now it’s a detriment to the team?

KK is 20 and 3rd overall Galchenyuk is our goal scoring PF Anderson......

Weber and Price not doing great...sure, I’ll give you that, they certainly can play better.
But Petry, Gallagher, Anderson, Toffoli, Drouin have been playing great, Suzuki game picking up, same with Tatar and Danault.....

Let the season play out and see where the cards fall

Spending against the cap, yes, but doing it smartly.

Also, the comments you refer to were mostly in relation to past years when the cap was not frozen.

This past off season, management knew the cap was going to be frozen over several years, so they should have put a higher emphasis on cap space as the premium currency.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Spending against the cap, yes, but doing it smartly.

Also, the comments you refer to were mostly in relation to past years when the cap was not frozen.

This past off season, management knew the cap was going to be frozen over several years, so they should have put a higher emphasis on cap space as the premium currency.
CapFriendly - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

You look at the 11 teams ahead of the Habs in spending and all are in the playoff hunt....

Seems that emphasis is more on spending to the cap to make the playoffs then to have cap space.

and I believe most teams have foreseen that making trades at the deadline will be much more difficult therefore cap space is not as high of a currency as we the fans think it would be.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Alexie Kovalev
notworthy.gif

Reactions: Rapala and Ozmodiar

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
CapFriendly - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

You look at the 11 teams ahead of the Habs in spending and all are in the playoff hunt....

Seems that emphasis is more on spending to the cap to make the playoffs then to have cap space.

and I believe most teams have foreseen that making trades at the deadline will be much more difficult therefore cap space is not as high of a currency as we the fans think it would be.

Most teams are cap strapped and others have self-imposed internal lower cash thresholds. Not everyone is overflowing with disposable cash like Geoffy. For some teams, clawing back on cap space is part of their savings constraints during the pandemic.

Again, spend to the cap on what? It's not as easy to dispose of players in this climate. If you have free cap space, you stand a better chance of getting a deal done for a significant asset as you won't have the ability to retain any money to get a deal done, if you've spent to the cap. That's when you're going to have to start dipping into futures or giving up young players that you didn't want to part with.

NicRattlehead

Mar 5, 2021
Houston, TX
Yeah I didn't get the hate either. He still was a common denominator of whatever lines were most dominant and generated a lot of scoring chances that he or his teammates couldn't finish. Was bound to reverse.

Nice to see TDG back to being one of the top 5v5 line in the league.
For sure on the nice to see them doing great again. Let’s hope this really boosts their confidence and the great play continues.

Reactions: Runner77

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
No your analogy makes no sense. That would work if I said I wish they won in OT rather than the shootout.

A better analogy would be that I’m not overly excited about a kid’s birthday party knowing that kid has cancer. Yeah I’ll be happy for the moment in time but really on the inside it’s f***ing sad.

le_sean: "Can you believe we're at a birthday party for a kid with cancer?"

HFBoards: "Please stop talking to me"

037e2ef3cff12ecb7b4e0eac091561fb.jpg

Reactions: le_sean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad