Post-Game Talk: Habs los... wait what? They won in extra time!

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
It's a weak division because outside of Toronto, they're all bubble teams in the normal format, while Ott and Van are bottom 10-5.

Listen, take a good long look at the defensive squads of each division. Each other division have at least 2-3-4 top 10 defenses, while there's hardly one defense in the North you could put on the top 10 in the normal format. It's even worst with Klefbom being out.

The whole comparison of each division's top and bottom teams you made is highly skewed and completely ommits the reality of what I just mentioned.

You think it's a coincidence so many players in the North are not only among the top scorers and pointers, they're also all having prorated career highs?

The division also packs probably the most offensive punch, making it the most flawed division and why it's easily miscontrued as close to equal to other divisions. Simply looking at last year's results tells the same story.

If we go by last year's stats, the North division has the highest GAA with 3.09. Now tell me, what great defensive stalwarts have been added to make you believe the teams in the North could be better as a whole on defense? I see only minor changes that at best compensates the division for losing Klefbom.

You'll see what I mean next year if divisions are normal, or at the very least, when there's no more ban on interdivision play.

While it is true that the defesnive aspect is not their stregth (safe CGY with Suter maybe), their top scorer were already massively scoring in the old divisions. Which team in the US has McDavid and Draisaitl ? Matthews Tavares, Marner ?

It is true that defensive teams seem to have the edge with the playoff format, but can you really say that
cHI, PIT, WSH, TBL lately were defense first teams when they won ?

The point is that since any of those teams (except OTT) want to make the playoffs you don t have a break playing the likes of SJS or ANA, BUF. It is hard because it is so evenly matched ! Ask any team if they would be happy to meet EDM TOR or WPG 9 times in a season ;)

Jul 6, 2016
While it is true that the defesnive aspect is not their stregth (safe CGY with Suter maybe), their top scorer were already massively scoring in the old divisions. Which team in the US has McDavid and Draisaitl ? Matthews Tavares, Marner ?

It is true that defensive teams seem to have the edge with the playoff format, but can you really say that

The point is that since any of those teams (except OTT) want to make the playoffs you don t have a break playing the likes of SJS or ANA, BUF. It is hard because it is so evenly matched ! Ask any team if they would be happy to meet EDM TOR or WPG 9 times in a season ;)

The Habs are usually better against stiffer competition. Over the last few years, they kept losing vs Detroit, Buffalo, etc... While always providing good opposition to Washington, The Isles, Pittsburg. This year, they should have at least 5 to 7 more points in the bank with more discipline and focus. I still think Habs can finish 3rd or 4th in their Division.

Reactions: Astormynight

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Honestly with this condensed schedule, they should dump the shootout and OT alltogther and just go old school points. Win, Loss, Tie.

Lots of unnecessary wear and tear on players for such short schedule. Wish they never had it. Lots of teams are just floating through the 3 on 3, saving it for the shootout.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Playing Vancouver and Ottawa is exactly that.

You still don't get that it's the other end, the top teams that makes the difference. We don't get to play any of the top 10 teams, except a borderline Toronto. Instead, we're battling bubble teams and bottom teams. In each other division, there at least 3 teams better or equal to Toronto.

Anyway, you'll see next year. Unless there are major defenders added to the division assemble, if the normal format returns, I expect only Toronto to battle for a top 10 spot.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
We got 3 of 4 pts.....we also got 3 of 4pts from Winnipeg.....rotten to its core....??

guess the Leafs are rotten to the soul as they lost twice to them

We did get 3 of 4 points which is important. But then again so did they. So it’s a wash. With the format the way it is this year, you need to make ground on teams to separate. We didn’t with Vancouver. We still have an obvious advantage with games in hand on them. But we’ve failed to create more separation. Every night is a 4 point game with the exception of Ottawa.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Or better yet, rather than sarcastic cheers - just stop posting?

If it wasn’t for a team being in our division, we’d have a worse record in our division!

Some top level analysis there. Not sure where you’re getting the division is weak from btw.

It’s a message board made for discussion and you have the freedom to put me on ignore if you don’t like reading certain posts.

Like the post above says, 3 points in two games for the Habs means 3 points in two games for the Canucks. 6 wins in the last 16 games. No back to back wins since Feb 1-2. What is there exactly to be positive about?

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
We got 3 of 4 pts.....we also got 3 of 4pts from Winnipeg.....rotten to its core....??

guess the Leafs are rotten to the soul as they lost twice to them

Without our games versus Vancouver, we are 8-8-6 and we don't have anymore games against them.

Unless the Habs suddenly pick up their play against the other teams in the division, we're looking at a ,500 team till the end of the season.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Funny thing is though, we're one player away from being a completely different club. Our D is a mess. That's the problem. Ekholm would make a huge difference alone but if we had a legit #1 LD this team would actually be pretty freaking good.

Our wingers are actually quite good now. Price is still a great goalie. Our centers are young but promising. Where it falls apart is at the D. If we fixed that our goalie would be better and our forwards would rack up more points. Petry and Edmunson are a good pairing with Petry carrying it. If we got help for Weber we'd actually be a pretty good team. I think we need better than Ekholm though.
Agreed LG. Bergy has to get a no 1 left D Man.

Attachments

• Do it.gif
    Do it.gif
    486.3 KB · Views: 1

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I wonder how much time he concentrates on training his release.

If you want to score, you need to constantly practice everyday. Shoot hundreds of pucks from all angles and manners. Ted Williams became one of the best hitters by spending his teens and early 20's batting hundreds of balls each day. Brett Hull poured 2 to 3 buckets each day for years. They were phenoms, but the point is, talent is never developed without intense practice and focus.

It just seems like Lekhonen has a very good shot, but is inconsistent, which tells me he doesn't spend nearly enough time practicing it.
Lafleur spent 20 minutes after every practice shooting on his own.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
It’s a message board made for discussion and you have the freedom to put me on ignore if you don’t like reading certain posts.

Like the post above says, 3 points in two games for the Habs means 3 points in two games for the Canucks. 6 wins in the last 16 games. No back to back wins since Feb 1-2. What is there exactly to be positive about?

The fact they won

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
What you do is you get teams to take your contracts like Byron, Chiarot or maybe Allen. To do this you need a rebuilding partner with cap space. This is just GM'ing 101 and it shouldn't be hard to do.
Byron, Tatar and Kulak are the ones I’m wanting to ship out, heck, I’ll trade picks for someone to take on the Alzner Contract.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Byron, Tatar and Kulak are the ones I’m wanting to ship out, heck, I’ll trade picks for someone to take on the Alzner Contract.
Tatar has talent and can bounce back. He probably has a little bit of value anyway. The rest would be total dumps.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
We did get 3 of 4 points which is important. But then again so did they. So it’s a wash. With the format the way it is this year, you need to make ground on teams to separate. We didn’t with Vancouver. We still have an obvious advantage with games in hand on them. But we’ve failed to create more separation. Every night is a 4 point game with the exception of Ottawa.
Vancouver now has 2 less games to make up ground, they made no strides in getting closer and we still have 4 games in hand....not the perfect weekend but I’ll take it.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
It’s crazy that they are still right in it for the division with how inconsistent they’ve been for a few months . If they string some wins together they will be in a good spot . 4 games in a row against Ottawa coming up soon, they need to take advantage of that

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
It’s crazy that they are still right in it for the division with how inconsistent they’ve been for a few months . If they string some wins together they will be in a good spot . 4 games in a row against Ottawa coming up soon, they need to take advantage of that
Habs need min 8 but preferably 10-of-14 points over next 2-weeks IMO, to put themselves in a solid spot for the stretch drive post-deadline

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Honestly with this condensed schedule, they should dump the shootout and OT alltogther and just go old school points. Win, Loss, Tie.

Lots of unnecessary wear and tear on players for such short schedule. Wish they never had it. Lots of teams are just floating through the 3 on 3, saving it for the shootout.
I don't think there's much wear/tear happening during these short OTs with tons of room.
That said, I've been for removing the shootouts and 3 on 3 for a while. I'm all for bring ties back.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Vancouver now has 2 less games to make up ground, they made no strides in getting closer and we still have 4 games in hand....not the perfect weekend but I’ll take it.

I agree it wasn’t the perfect weekend. The scheduling sucked the games against Calgary last week. But we had a chance to put Calgary in a grave when we played them and instead allowed them to stay hot on us instead. It just shows how important every single game is.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Tatar has talent and can bounce back. He probably has a little bit of value anyway. The rest would be total dumps.
Tatar to Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh 2nd and 3rd to Nashville
Rosi and 2022 3rd to Montreal
Kulak, Harris, 1st, two 2nds to Nashville

Feel free to disagree lol

I know we still need to shed money but of course this happens if we can somehow buck off the Byron contract.

Pure fantasy but whatever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->