Line Combos: Habs lineup 20-21 season

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
of course but we know that we are stuck with him for this year with his cap his So play him with Evans and Armia in the 4 and you have 4th line that you can use anytime

I agree with that.

But if Frolik or Perry emerge as the best option to play LW with KK, Byron may not have a place on the 4th line.

I think Kovalchuk could have won that 3rd line LW role, but that's a whole other conversation that has already been had...

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I agree with that.

But if Frolik or Perry emerge as the best option to play LW with KK, Byron may not have a place on the 4th line.
They will all get plenty of appropriate playing time, there will be injuries and condensed schedule ensures everyone will play

Reactions: Vachon23

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Perry was brought here to play, listening to him speak I believe that he has been given some level of commitment from MB.

Everything he has publicly said is the opposite of what you wrote; no promise of a spot on the roster, need to prove himself, fight for a spot, etc.

So, hw can you write, "Listening to him speak," and then completely misrepresent what he said? Perry came here to play because he is a competitor, fine but, because he was promised something or given some sort of commitment? Seriously?

I had just watched his interview and he never once said that he was or was not guaranteed a spot. The interviewer made assertions of the possibility of him not making the starting lineup and Perry quickly dismissed his concerns. He certainly looked like a guy who has been told that he is expected to be in the starting lineup. Perhaps you have seen other interviews but don't say that I am misrepresenting what he said as I am not quoting him.

The only misrepresentation is your hot take on my comment where I clearly said that it was my opinion.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Like I said in another thread, you have to factor in roster size when fully healthy and with the taxi squad, Byron is the odd man out.

We need someone to play C so that ensures Evans makes the team.

You know Perry/Frolik will not be waived.

That leaves Byron out. He's the most logical choice to put on the taxi squad since he wont be picked off waivers and we will save a little bit of salary.

Some teams won't even go with 23-man roster to save some money, yet some of you are suggesting that we keep $3.4M in dead cap space with Byron as the extra forward. Ridiculous.

Don't forget we have like 12 NHL dmen too, so if we keep 14 forwards, that means Kulak/Ouellet are waived and guys like Juulsen and Fleury are not on the team either. Hard choices will have to be made.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Like I said in another thread, you have to factor in roster size when fully healthy and with the taxi squad, Byron is the odd man out.

We need someone to play C so that ensures Evans makes the team.

You know Perry/Frolik will not be waived.

That leaves Byron out. He's the most logical choice to put on the taxi squad since he wont be picked off waivers and we will save a little bit of salary.

Some teams won't even go with 23-man roster to save some money, yet some of you are suggesting that we keep $3.4M in dead cap space with Byron as the extra forward. Ridiculous.

Don't forget we have like 12 NHL dmen too, so if we keep 14 forwards, that means Kulak/Ouellet are waived and guys like Juulsen and Fleury are not on the team either. Hard choices will have to be made.

Why ?? They where bring here to be on the taxi squad

Reactions: Belial

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
How can anyone destroy an analysis that doesn't exist? The writer didn't provide any kind of analysis. That said I do think Danault's line is a top-10 line in the NHL, though probably closer to 10th then 6th.
I don't think that it was done without analyze, he provides different aspects on what he based his result. The same have been made for all the teams, so...

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
no need to, you believe whatever you want to...

we're all willing to bet no NHL GM other than MB would want to have Tatar/Danault/Gallagher over Teravainen/Aho/Svechnikov (for example) on their team.
"we" ? who are those 'we" ? i suppose that it's a typo and that it means "I".
The author explained why the Aho's line was there - only because the play a lot less then the others lines. He also added that the Carolina's coach should play them a lot more together because it would be a top line in the NHL. Good try anyway

ericd

Feb 20, 2007
Can someone confirm?
If we go with this lineup, we are 25 000$ above the cap?

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Suzuki-(Anderson/Toffoli)
Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-(Anderson/Toffoli)
Byron-Evans-Armia
Perry

Chiarot-Weber
Edmundson-Petry
Romanov-(Mete/Kulak)
(Mete/Kulak)

Price
Allen

22 men roster.
81 525 000/ 81 500 000???

As a solution going for a 21 men roster for the first 2 games(league minimum=15K/game) would bring us down to cap compliance and then we can increase to 22 men.
Is my math correct?

Either ways, shouldn't every team go with a 20 men roster this year? I mean the taxi squad is travelling with the team and practicing anyways... Habs with 20 men roster have 1 460 000$ available?

Maybe some teams will prefer to have a 21 to 23 men roster to not gamble too much with a revolving waiver game and lose a player to an injury affected team.

ericd

Feb 20, 2007
In that particular case, Romanov have to come out to be cap-compliant

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

@16:26 John Lu asks, and Perry answers there is no assurance on the role he will have on the team. He says he has to prove himself.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Tatar-Danault-Gally - ole faithful
Toffoli-Suzuki-Anderson - Suzuki becomes elite playmaker
Drouin-KK-Perry - KK learns some nastiness from Perry and the two of them protect Drouin. Very tough line
Lehks-Evans-Armia - checking line
Frolik

Trade away Byron

Romanov - Weber - put the czar with the experienced guy to learn from the best
Edmundson-Petry - this is just a solid d pair
Chiarot-Kulak - perfect for the third pair
Mete/Juulsen

Price
Allen

This is what I hope to start the season

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Byron hasn’t been the same since the KO, didn’t miss a single game in 16-17 & 17-18 and was fine till the KO in 18-19.

But now he has shoulder problems too. He may be starting to break down, as often happens to a player in their 30's that has played a hard game in their career.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
The signings of Frolik and Perry is a bit puzzling. Even if they waive Weal, they are still over the cap. I got a feeling that one of the higher paid players won't be ready to start the season because of an injury. I would had prefer Habs to sign a depth centerman in case Evans is not the solution. Poehling is not, for sure. Anyway, injuries will happen with such a short camp, no pre-season game and a very heavy schedule. Hopefully, no COVID will happen in that group. Depth is a fine problem to have.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The signings of Frolik and Perry is a bit puzzling. Even if they waive Weal, they are still over the cap. I got a feeling that one of the higher paid players won't be ready to start the season because of an injury. I would had prefer Habs to sign a depth centerman in case Evans is not the solution. Poehling is not, for sure. Anyway, injuries will happen with such a short camp and no pre-season game. Depth is a fine problem to have.

Yeah Weal will be waived to go to the taxi squad. But if Frolik and Perry are also waived to go to the taxi squad, they count nothing against the cap. You're right that it may be because there's a current injury. But, since they don't count against the cap if on the taxi squad, it may be a move to ensure we have good replacement players when there is the inevitable injury in the future. Plus, CJ might want fresh legs on some of the back to backs.

Reactions: Vachon23

Jul 6, 2016
My only concern with all these new players acquisitions and very short camp, is how long and how well this revamped team gonna click. MB has acquired six new players - Anderson, Toffoli, Perry, Frolik, Allen, Edmundson- and will integrate one new rookie, Romanov. That's 33% of the line up. Five of these players have won a Cup.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Why ?? They where bring here to be on the taxi squad

Says who? You don't seem to realized that you need to be waived to be on the taxi squad. At 700k Perry and Frolik are not making it through waivers untouched. Forget about it.

Byron, yes.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Jonathan Drouin-Nick Suzuki-Josh Anderson
Tomas Tatar-Philip Danault-Brendan Gallagher
Arturri Lehkonen-Jesperi Kotkaniemi-Tyler Toffoli
Paul Byron-Jake Evans-Joel Armia

Ben Chiarot-Shea Weber
Brett Kulak-Jeff Petry
Alexander Romanov-Joel Edmundson
Victor Mete

Carey Price
Jake Allen

Taxi Squad
F - Corey Perry, Michael Frolik, Ryan Poehling
D - Cale Fleury, Noah Juulsen
G - Cayden Primeau
Poor Toffoli

Reactions: 26Mats

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
"we" ? who are those 'we" ? i suppose that it's a typo and that it means "I".
The author explained why the Aho's line was there - only because the play a lot less then the others lines. He also added that the Carolina's coach should play them a lot more together because it would be a top line in the NHL. Good try anyway
but, but, but... the Danault line is #6! :eek2:

and you wouldnt want to take any of the #7, #8, #9 or #10 over the Danault line right ?

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Yeah Weal will be waived to go to the taxi squad. But if Frolik and Perry are also waived to go to the taxi squad, they count nothing against the cap. You're right that it may be because there's a current injury. But, since they don't count against the cap if on the taxi squad, it may be a move to ensure we have good replacement players when there is the inevitable injury in the future. Plus, CJ might want fresh legs on some of the back to backs.
meaning if Perry is waived, pretty much guaranteed he'S taken by another team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad