Line Combos: Habs lineup 20-21 season

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I don’t think an experimented coach like Julien will used players (Armia/Toffoli) on a position they never played before without preseason game

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
My only problem with Armia - KK - Anderson is that I haven't read, anywhere, anything about either aria or Anderson's ability to play LW. It's convenient to slot players where we would like but, it doesn't necessarily translate once on the ice.

In theory, that line would be, as you say, a puck possession line that could lean heavily on opposing Ds. The advantage you would get from them in wearing out opponents is that, even on off nights where they weren't producing points, they could still have a productive role for the team. Defensively, also, all three players are sound and wouldn't be a handicap in that department.

6.Josh Anderson (RW/LW)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

2012-13 London Knights

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Well, someone will have to move to LW.

You have Tatar, Drouin, Lehkonen, Frolik on LW, while on RW you have Gally, Anderson, Toffoli, Armia, Perry.

Not counting Byron.

As you can see there is an extra top-9 guy on RW (probably Armia). So are you playing Lehkonen on LW on like 3, and then you go with a 4th line of Frolik-Evans-Armia? This would put Perry as the 13th forward, Byron 14th.

If Armia moves to 3LW, that would give us Armia-KK-Toffoli and Lehkonen-Evans-Perry, leaving Frolik and Byron as the extras.

It depends on your preference, but I do like Lehkonen on line 3 doing the dirty work for KK and Toffoli. It sucks that all of Byron, Armia, Frolik and Perry are left out of the top-9, though.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I agree with everything and then you lump in something off that makes me wonder how right you were before that? In fact, Frolik is a larger (than Byron) yet speedy winger as well. Frolic's strengths are his speed, a strong forecheck and defensive awareness.
When Frolik first came into the league 10-years ago, he was known to have “sneaky-fast” skating ability, but never the same level as Byron’s acceleration or speed.

Frolik has lost 1-2 steps in the last few years, today is nowhere close to Byron. He had trouble keeping pace in Buf and Cgy last few years....the Hawks version of Frolik is long gone...hence the $750K contract as there was little to no interest.

Last edited:

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I don’t think an experimented coach like Julien will used players (Armia/Toffoli) on a position they never played before without preseason game

Wouldn't say "never" for Toffoli. Junior & NHL levels.

“I took more reps on the left side, working on my pivoting both [directions], and just being quicker,” Toffoli indicated. “That’s something people think I’m not very good at, so I’ve been working hard, and I think I’ve taken a real big step this [summer].”

He also worked on his loose puck battles along the boards and in the corners.

“I’ve been working hard [on that], and that’s something Darryl and [President/General Manager] Dean [Lombardi] really focused on, so I really try [to] be good at that,” said Toffoli. “It’s something that I really take pride in now, in my game.”

Toffoli indicated that he is not fazed by playing on his off wing.

I played [left wing] a couple of times in junior, and I played a couple of games here,” Toffoli noted. “I don’t really see a huge difference. You’ve just got to take pucks on your backhand, and be strong on your stick. We’ll see what happens in [training] camp.”

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Well, someone will have to move to LW.

You have Tatar, Drouin, Lehkonen, Frolik on LW, while on RW you have Gally, Anderson, Toffoli, Armia, Perry.

Not counting Byron.

As you can see there is an extra top-9 guy on RW (probably Armia). So are you playing Lehkonen on LW on like 3, and then you go with a 4th line of Frolik-Evans-Armia? This would put Perry as the 13th forward, Byron 14th.

If Armia moves to 3LW, that would give us Armia-KK-Toffoli and Lehkonen-Evans-Perry, leaving Frolik and Byron as the extras.

It depends on your preference, but I do like Lehkonen on line 3 doing the dirty work for KK and Toffoli. It sucks that all of Byron, Armia, Frolik and Perry are left out of the top-9, though.

Lehkonen-KK-Toffoli
Byron-Evans-Armia

Frolik and Perry where bring here to eat hot dog most part of the time

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Wouldn't say "never" for Toffoli. Junior & NHL levels.

“I took more reps on the left side, working on my pivoting both [directions], and just being quicker,” Toffoli indicated. “That’s something people think I’m not very good at, so I’ve been working hard, and I think I’ve taken a real big step this [summer].”

He also worked on his loose puck battles along the boards and in the corners.

“I’ve been working hard [on that], and that’s something Darryl and [President/General Manager] Dean [Lombardi] really focused on, so I really try [to] be good at that,” said Toffoli. “It’s something that I really take pride in now, in my game.”

Toffoli indicated that he is not fazed by playing on his off wing.

I played [left wing] a couple of times in junior, and I played a couple of games here,” Toffoli noted. “I don’t really see a huge difference. You’ve just got to take pucks on your backhand, and be strong on your stick. We’ll see what happens in [training] camp.”

couple of game in JNR and in the NHL especially with a new team is not the same thing. Of course he will say that he can play LW like every player in the league they will say that they can play in the position but they are way more confortable in the real position.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
couple of game in JNR and in the NHL especially with a new team is not the same thing. Of course he will say that he can play LW like every player in the league they will say that they can play in the position but they are way more confortable in the real position.

Ok... but to say "Julien won't use him there" I think is a bit premature. Especially with potential injuries looming this season.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Ok... but to say "Julien won't use him there" I think is a bit premature. Especially with potential injuries looming this season.
Won’t use him there at the start of the season sorry if I wasn’t clear. I’m not saying he won’t try him at LW if Drouin and Tatar are injured

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Won’t use him there at the start of the season sorry if I wasn’t clear. I’m not saying he won’t try him at LW if Drouin and Tatar are injured

Right. Players coming out right now in the news with injuries, this could be the case in MTL and they're just waiting for camp to begin for PR to announce it. There could be injuries during camp after such a long break. I agree he won't risk it if everyone is healthy and I don't have Toffoli on LW in my Julien starting lineup either, but there is a small chance leading to an unfortunate situation whereby you could see Toffoli on 2LW or 3LW to start the season. Unlikely but possible nonetheless.

Reactions: Vachon23

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Start Byron on the 4th line, he'll get hurt as usual, and then there will be a more permanent spot for Perry, Frolik or whoever else is a healthy scratch at first!
Like they say in Les boys; ‘c’est chien ça mon Stan ‘ ;)

Aces on the road

Oct 27, 2020
Book this, Perry will makes his way into lineup. How? It wont be pretty.
Anderson shoulder worries me, hopefully he is allright or Kekälainen made a steal.
Tatar- Suzuki- Anderson
Toffoli-Danault-Armia, partly shutdown role
Drouin-Kk-Gally
Lehkonen- evans-perry

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Wow so it favors Vancouver of all places, in the North Division. Plus-5. We sit worst at Minus-3 with EDM. Toronto at Plus-1. Screw you Gary.
That’s where a deep lineup becomes all the more vital - and no team in the NHL is as deep as the Habs this season.

If MB were to somehow manage to add Vatanen into that lineup...

Reactions: Sterling Archer

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
My only problem with Armia - KK - Anderson is that I haven't read, anywhere, anything about either aria or Anderson's ability to play LW. It's convenient to slot players where we would like but, it doesn't necessarily translate once on the ice.

In theory, that line would be, as you say, a puck possession line that could lean heavily on opposing Ds. The advantage you would get from them in wearing out opponents is that, even on off nights where they weren't producing points, they could still have a productive role for the team. Defensively, also, all three players are sound and wouldn't be a handicap in that department.

Yes, it's contingent on one of the being abke to play the left side. I think the reason we all heard that Toffoli can play the left side is that he was the 4th RW signed, so naturally the media asked him if he could play the left. Armia and Anderson just haven't been asked that since it was a non- issue before Toffoli was signed.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Toffoli-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Lehkonen-Evans-Perry
Romanov-Weber
Chiarot-Petry
Edmundson-Juulsen
Price
Allen

Trade Byron to relieve cap pressure

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
The thing with running 12F vs. 13F on any given night and in consideration of our cap limitations, is that it allows Julien to drastically change the face of the bottom-6 if he needs to... with at least one guy who "stays" on each line no matter what the approach is.

Barbaric mode
Perry - Kotkaniemi - Toffoli/Andy
Baddock - Evans - Armia

Finesse mode
Byron - Kotkaniemi - Toffoli/Andy
Lehkonen - Frolik - Armia

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Why ? You don’t put a guy like Byron who wear the A by the way in the stands. Byron has quickly become by far the most underrated player in this team

Byron looked a lot better at the end of the season when he had apparently recovered from his injuries.

He also looked good in the return to play when he was on a line with Danault and Lehkonen. That imo is the type of line he should be on.

But Julien will play Danault with Tatar and Gallagher. Byron doesn't get it done offensively with Suzuki or KK - or even Domi. He was horrendous with them in the return to play. Constantly shanking chances. Constantly getting bumped off the puck in the offensive zone for easy zone exits by the opposition.

Since Julien won't play him with Danault, he's a 3.5M dollar 4th liner for us. We could better use that cap space on finding a more offensive 3rd LW (in addition to Tatar and Drouin) to play with KK or Suzuki.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Byron-Evans-Lehkonen
Perry
Frolik

Chiarot-Weber
Edmunson-Petry
Kulak-Romanov
Mete

Price
Allen

Reactions: bsl and Kotkaniemi

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Byron looked a lot better at the end of the season when he had apparently recovered from his injuries.

He also looked good in the return to play when he was on a line with Danault and Lehkonen. That imo is the type of line he should be on.

But Julien will play Danault with Tatar and Gallagher. Byron doesn't get it done offensively with Suzuki or KK - or even Domi. He was horrendous with them in the return to play. Constantly shanking chances. Constantly getting bumped off the puck in the offensive zone for easy zone exits by the opposition.

Since Julien won't play him with Danault, he's a 3.5M dollar 4th liner for us. We could better use that cap space on finding a more offensive 3rd LW (in addition to Tatar and Drouin) to play with KK or Suzuki.

of course but we know that we are stuck with him for this year with his cap his So play him with Evans and Armia in the 4 and you have 4th line that you can use anytime

Reactions: 26Mats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad