Post-Game Talk: Habs let down Price again, lose 2-1 in double OT

Hab-a-maniac

Sep 28, 2003
Toronto via Calgary!
Visit site
If the habs lose t I suspect his series I suspect Therrien's job is still safe, however how many coaches keep their jobs when going 0-3 in 3 years in series started on home ice? I would imagine that his job would still be safe but that Bergevin will begin to re-evaluate the coaching problem if we do.

It would be 1-3 if we lost this series. We started at home vs. Ottawa in the last round, remember?

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
How is Therrien to blame for losing? He can't score the goals and he has no one on his roster that can.

Well... He can take the blame for one year of piss poor preparation, stubbornness and believing DD would come through during the POs.

All the time he wasted this year sitting on his hand led us to that.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
How is Therrien to blame for losing? He can't score the goals and he has no one on his roster that can.

He has 3 20 goals scorers, 1 35+ scorer, 1 Norris winner and 1 of the best puck movers in the league in Markov. If he can't use them, fire his ass once and for all.

RuskiNik

May 19, 2014
Montréal
I have a feeling we will lose these series with heartbreaking games. We cant score for crap. Its great, we have the best goalie in the league, but we cant win games 0-0 unless the other team forfeits lmao

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

He can explain why his team can't take advantage of odd man situations.
3-2 2-1 and even 2-fn 0. :help:

These are basic staples for every hockey team from atom on up.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I have a feeling we will lose these series with heartbreaking games. We cant score for crap. Its great, we have the best goalie in the league, but we cant win games 0-0 unless the other team forfeits lmao

Same here, this team is doing all the highest percentage defensive plays and all the lowest percentage offensive plays. It's just not very encouraging to watch.

RuskiNik

May 19, 2014
Montréal
Same here, this team is doing all the highest percentage defensive plays and all the lowest percentage offensive plays. It's just not very encouraging to watch.

We just need to hope that our top 6 will start producing stuff and not expect our bottom 6 to do that lol

Apr 28, 2010
He has 3 20 goals scorers, 1 35+ scorer, 1 Norris winner and 1 of the best puck movers in the league in Markov. If he can't use them, fire his ass once and for all.

I'm all for firing MT but the other dude is right. It's not MT's fault that Pleks got robbed in a 2on1, same with DLR, DD missing on an empty-net, hitting the posts twice in the first period and so on..

If half of those went in, we wouldn't be talking about the coach.

Players just can't put the puck in the net. Period.

But I agree, MT still needs to go. I still believe in this roster (minus DD) and probably just need a Cammalleri/Ryder type of players who can finish.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I think The Habs finally played Tampa the right away. Preventing them to burn us with speed like they did all throughout the season. I still think we're not hitting them nearly enough but Therrien is still stubborn in that regard.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I'm all for firing MT but the other dude is right. It's not MT's fault that Pleks got robbed in a 2on1, same with DLR, DD missing on an empty-net, hitting the posts twice in the first period and so on..

If half of those went in, we wouldn't be talking about the coach.

Players just can't put the puck in the net. Period.

But I agree, MT still needs to go. I still believe in this roster (minus DD) and probably just need a Cammalleri/Ryder type of players who can finish.

I can understand the logic if you are taking just some events off the top of the list, yes. Therrien isn't responsible for one specific shot or missed chance, no one is stating that. What I'm saying is the habs have less real good scoring chances overall playing the way they are playing at the moment and that in the end it leads to games finishing on a wire. (0 - 1, 1 - 1, etc...)

e.g. they're playing to not lose.. anti-hockey IOW.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

He just said that if that one play went in the net on the powerplay that NO ONE would be talking how the PP is ineffective.

Meaning, he thinks that the powerplay system works and it is just an execution issue. Which it isn't. His system is brutal. It has been all year long and he refuses to take any blame or heat.

He thinks that the system he implemented from day one is supposed to work. If it doesn't. They either didn't execute, they didn't play it, the other goalie outplayed us, or we just didn't get bounces.

He literally does not adjust. He is so stubborn, pig-headed and stupid that he does not see the flaw with what he "created". His belief is his belief and no amount of reality will change his mind.

He;s a ****ing moronic, short-fused, blow-hard dinosaur coach.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Given that the reg season should be prep for the post-season, damn right the blame should be on MT. This is the longest reg season where we played the same kind of game, not looking like Champs, just marvelling at Price and I guess Patch, and then Subban.

No building momentum as the year went on. In fact, it was the opposite. MT did not fix the PP. He had 82 games to get the lines right. He finally put Chucky at C, it was successful, then he TOOK HIM OUT! Boneheaded move, one after the other.

We are so much more talented than what we appear to be and this is the symptom of a bad coach. I think we're all in agreement that IF MB was a really good GM, he would at least have the balls Gainey did, and would fire his friend. This is a big test for MB, as much as MB has tried to test his players. When I watch clips from 24CH, it strikes me way too much that MB is way too comfortable with the job he's doing. Speculation, of course, but if Therrien doesn't make adjustments now and embarrasses us -- he needs to get canned. I don't care about the extensions. Those were foolhardly. A good GM needs to be able to admit when they made a mistake and I'm not sure Molson would have a problem with it if it meant a better on-ice product, cuz he's about to lose fan passion in a big way.

For all the coverage we get of the team, including the awesome softballs from the media, we really don't know what MB is thinking throughout all this. Is he really satisfied? I think he's a good GM, who's said he wants to keep getting better. Well, buddy, it's about time you took that next step. Honeymoon is over. IMO he's made some shrewd moves. Now he has to round out how those moves equate with on-ice success.

Otherwise, we are no different than the profit-driven leafs, who I believe are about to turn a philosophical corner.

Media -- do your f'in job!

If Eller-Chucky (maybe with Prust?) doesn't get tried before the end of this series...there simply should be NO EXCUSES.

All is not lost, but nerves are gonna be frayed for this game unless we jump out to a 4 goal lead. (Which is so likely, right?)

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Jesus Christ someone call suicide watch :laugh:

They were the better team, they can build on that and the series is nowhere near finished

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Well there is a blame to share. Coach for not coaching. GM for not GM'ing. And players for not executing. No question. Yet....explain this to me....the guy changes his ES lines when they don't score for 2 consecutive games and yet....it takes him 100 to maybe change 1 piece in his PP lines? And CLEARLY doesn't change the strategy? Did you hear what was said about the PP strategy we have? I swear I heard that.....somebody help me though, not sure who did say it, but the PP Strategy is...."Take what the opponents GIVE you". Seriously? So by playing aggressively, and if the opponent protect the center lanes, and protecting the shot from the point...what they GIVE you are the desperate shots from the outside.....let's do that then? Just wow man...that's pathetic and loser.

How about we CREATE things? How about we have some movements on the PP? Why can't the players be always in movement to **** up the box that TBay is having? I mean we can't say that we're not going this because we have no chemistry hence, the guys won't know who is where with all that movement.....it's the same freakin players for 2 years now on that putrid PP.

BUt I will agree with you....I don't believe so much in the pure quality of the individuals forming this team. Yet, for that to happen you need miracles by picking guys late and yet becoming great, à la Subban, or you tank and pick up those Kane and Toews guys. Or you do deals that happen not often to acquire a Seguin or something like that. Let's hope Scherbak will upgrade the talent level the way Pastrnak did with Boston. BUt we need more than that. We have to move away from DD. Real soon, I beleive Plekanec, especially for the playoffs, we will need to move away from him as well. Galchy will need to show his real value at C so that we do figure out what kidn of ceiling he has. And we might even have to Wonder what kind of player Pacioretty can be especially in the playoffs. I mean, not even with don't have a lot of talent, but even the guys with the talent, we have to evaluate them more closely. And with Markov slowly going to retirement, we need to keep Petry.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Jesus Christ someone call suicide watch :laugh:

They were the better team, they can build on that and the series is nowhere near finished

Well it makes game 2, already a game 7. Not sure they had that in mind. Do you believe if we lose the first 2 that it's still not a problem?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Well it makes game 2, already a game 7. Not sure they had that in mind. Do you believe if we lose the first 2 that it's still not a problem?

In 93 we went into Quebec city down 0-2 and we went on to win the cup. Detroit and Tampa flipped flopped back and forth for 7 games and WS you know that Bishop will not continue to be perfect, the Patch goal showed that. He will have a stinker or 2 before this is over. The problem with beating Tampa is that second line, they are the best line on the team(and in the whole league) even in 2 way play. The habs did good job against them and should have easily won that game 4-1 based on missing such glorious chances.

We need something different, we need to try the EGG boys together and see what happens. Patch and Pleks stay together and drop the tipping point down to the third line. That will be the spark that we need and I truly believe that. Of course we know that Therrien will not do it until we are in an 0-2 position because he's either too stubborn or too stupid. With that line setup we have two scoring lines going at them and how is that a bad thing?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well there is a blame to share. Coach for not coaching. GM for not GM'ing. And players for not executing. No question. Yet....explain this to me....the guy changes his ES lines when they don't score for 2 consecutive games and yet....it takes him 100 to maybe change 1 piece in his PP lines? And CLEARLY doesn't change the strategy? Did you hear what was said about the PP strategy we have? I swear I heard that.....somebody help me though, not sure who did say it, but the PP Strategy is...."Take what the opponents GIVE you". Seriously? So by playing aggressively, and if the opponent protect the center lanes, and protecting the shot from the point...what they GIVE you are the desperate shots from the outside.....let's do that then? Just wow man...that's pathetic and loser.

How about we CREATE things? How about we have some movements on the PP? Why can't the players be always in movement to **** up the box that TBay is having? I mean we can't say that we're not going this because we have no chemistry hence, the guys won't know who is where with all that movement.....it's the same freakin players for 2 years now on that putrid PP.

BUt I will agree with you....I don't believe so much in the pure quality of the individuals forming this team. Yet, for that to happen you need miracles by picking guys late and yet becoming great, à la Subban, or you tank and pick up those Kane and Toews guys. Or you do deals that happen not often to acquire a Seguin or something like that. Let's hope Scherbak will upgrade the talent level the way Pastrnak did with Boston. BUt we need more than that. We have to move away from DD. Real soon, I beleive Plekanec, especially for the playoffs, we will need to move away from him as well. Galchy will need to show his real value at C so that we do figure out what kidn of ceiling he has. And we might even have to Wonder what kind of player Pacioretty can be especially in the playoffs. I mean, not even with don't have a lot of talent, but even the guys with the talent, we have to evaluate them more closely. And with Markov slowly going to retirement, we need to keep Petry.
Thing is, if you're going to blame the players for not executing... you have to look at how they're used.

We fixed one half of the problem last game - we went back to an aggressive system. Great! We should never have left it.

The second half of the problem is still there though - roster management. DD still starts the game with Galchenyuk and he's still 2nd wave PP. Meanwhile Eller who's been a beast this series is playing with scrubs. Eller has actually forced the play into the opposing team's zone ever since the trade deadline. He CREATES things offensively but he has nobody to close. It's either him putting it in himself or his linemates don't close. So sure, you can say that's an execution issue but he's not teamed with anyone who can execute.

And what happens when the DD/Galchenyuk combo turns into a tire fire? Galchenyuk is put on the 4th line with Mitchell... it just makes no sense whatsoever.

If MT is going to talk about his team not executing, he should start taking responsibility for it himself. You can't just put Eller with Prust, Galchenyuk with Mitchell, give more PP minutes to DD and then throw up your hands when they don't score. Some people say we don't have the best forward group and that we're weak. I agree we're not Chicago but we're not that bad either. Even if it were a weak group though... why weaken it further with bad line combos?
That is nonsense. We have guys who can score goals. We've had all year to develop Galchenyuk more than we have. We've had all year to put Eller in a more prominent role. We've had all year to realize that DD is a depth player at best and yet have relied on him as our prime scoring center.

It's not a surprise at all that DD is crumbling postseason. He's never been able to produce before so why would we think he could do it now? As I wrote above, you can't just put dumb combos together and then blame the players for not executing. We should blame Eller because he can't get Brandon Prust to score? That's just nonsense.

If he put lines together this year that made sense and they still didn't execute? THEN you can blame the players for not executing. Again though we've seen ever line combo under the sun but DD has always been a prime offensive weapon and Eller has always been a checker. EGG line worked beautifully before but we haven't seen it for two years. Now we have to hope that our coach wakes up and puts it together AND we have to hope they can find chemistry fast.

Good news is we're playing well. That's the most important thing. But roster mgmt (not to mention the PP) needs to be fixed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad