Habs Learning to Score at Practice

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Thats fair but also, kinda just lowering expectations. Why cant we just have a great coach? Do they even exist?

One of my ex GF had to reject Brendan Gallagher about 15 times back around 2015. And there I was hyping him as a top 10 RW.
Jean Perron coached the Habs and we won a cup in 86, Dan Bylsma won a cup with the Pens and now he's in the AHL and I could keep going but you get the picture. Coaching is overrated at the NHL level and let's be real, how many actual systems are there to employ in the NHL game? 3-4 maybe? I do see where inexperience might hurt when it comes to matchups on the road, last change, and all of that but at the big league level it's mostly cruise control for coaches and if there were such a thing as a great coach, why do they get fired so often? If the players buy-in and are willing to follow what the motivator(coach) is selling it will work until it doesn't.

I always wanted Vigneault to come back , every other coach did.

If you have to teach an NHL player how to score you are in big trouble.
There's still time.

Reactions: Runner77

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
I don't know why people are questioning the experience level of MSL, it's not as if the old boys' club/recycled coaching fraternity is any better. We had Martin, Therrien and Julien and none of them would be able to get more out of a bottom 10 roster than he is getting. We couldn't score last night because Markstrom was on his game, it happens. How many nights did Pricer stop da puck do that for us?
Because the Dorito eating couch experts on this site, know more than the pros.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
That's literally the easiest thing to do as Canadiens player in Montreal.

Step 1: Mention you play for the Montreal Canadiens

Step 2: Enjoy.

images

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Jean Perron coached the Habs and we won a cup in 86, Dan Bylsma won a cup with the Pens and now he's in the AHL and I could keep going but you get the picture. Coaching is overrated at the NHL level and let's be real, how many actual systems are there to employ in the NHL game? 3-4 maybe? I do see where inexperience might hurt when it comes to matchups on the road, last change, and all of that but at the big league level it's mostly cruise control for coaches and if there were such a thing as a great coach, why do they get fired so often? If the players buy-in and are willing to follow what the motivator(coach) is selling it will work until it doesn't.

There's still time.
Yeah Im starting to think its overrated too. Or maybe theres a lack of coach development.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
If you have to teach an NHL player how to score you are in big trouble.
Some of the drills were more like set plays than just practicing scoring, a few seem to have been taken from Tuesday game too:
- a replica of the Lindstrom's goal
- pass reception as the net screen so you can recover, turn and get a scoring chance instead of being Anderson: receiving the puck and then having no idea what to do with it.

Some players seems to have been experimenting with deflection while in movement too. Or maybe they were trying to replicate the goal against the Sharks a few days ago.

Reactions: Habs

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I don't think we are turning on the coach but there is something to be said for a guy who went from coaching young kids straight into coaching an NHL team. Many of the mistakes he is making are mistakes coaches make coaching a Junior team, or an AHL team but since Marty bypassed these Development steps we are seeing mistakes that shouldn't be made.
He's a prospect that was brought too soon, but will bloom in time imo.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yeah Im starting to think its overrated too. Or maybe theres a lack of coach development.
Hockey is not like the NFL with whistles after every play, there can only be so much strategy involved and with the speed of the game, the bouncing puck, the deflections etc, it's almost impossible to be an x's and o's strategist behind the bench. Matchups require input from a coach, pp strategy, and pk but how much else can he influence?

There were rumors that the players tuned out Ducharme during our COVID run and that Corey Perry, Carey Price and Shea Weber ran the bench and the room, heck, there have even been player coaches in lower-tier leagues of hockey. Most of the success involves the talent level on the ice and if the guys assembled together like each other enough to play for each other, just my opinion and others probably see it differently, which is fine.

Reactions: Rapala and Runner77

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
@Habs said that if you have to teach a player to score at the NHL level you are in big trouble. It made me laugh. There is nothing wrong with practicing every element of the game and that shooting drill was just that.

Sidney Crosby has a summer home here in Nova Scotia and he had a crew construct a building on his property for him to shoot pucks in! Even after everything that he has accomplished in the game he still took an hour a day during his summer vacation to shoot pucks. People wouldn't question this or laugh at it because it's 87 and well, he's the best but it illustrates the need to always try to get better, hone the craft if you will.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
@Habs said that if you have to teach a player to score at the NHL level you are in big trouble. It made me laugh. There is nothing wrong with practicing every element of the game and that shooting drill was just that.

Sidney Crosby has a summer home here in Nova Scotia and he had a crew construct a building on his property for him to shoot pucks in! Even after everything that he has accomplished in the game he still took an hour a day during his summer vacation to shoot pucks. People wouldn't question this or laugh at it because it's 87 and well, he's the best but it illustrates the need to always try to get better, hone the craft if you will.
People would not comment if Marty would call a day off. Why getting a drill out of the box is suddenly laughable? Maybe it was for the guys to also get some fun?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I think Kovalev had a similar story where one offseason early in his career he spent a couple hours every day of his offseason working on shot. And certainly at NHL practices you'd see him constantly working on his stick handling. So yeah even if you are one of the best at something you still need to constantly practice at it.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Tons of players have their own rinks, so does Wendel Clark, should we call him too?

These guys have been scoring goals and running drills their entire life, MSL's hockey school isn't going to do anything at this point. if he's doing it for fun, lighten things up, ok. If he really thinks this is going to work, because he is teaching them moves from 'back in the day' he may as well play EA Sports NHL 2016 with them, and show them some moves from there too?

This team has no real structure in any zone, plus the entry is all over the map. It's not all his fault, this team isn't built around any real system but the have loved the dump and chase for the last 30 years, for some reason.

BTW Crosby isn't teaching other guys moves and drills, they are just practicing. He's an active player, one of the best in the world and generational talent, I'd listen to him as well, but he mostly works with the rookies and local players to stay in game shape.

Why are we pampering the coach so much anyways? A really good hockey player doesn't equate to being a good coach, we know this time and time again.

There's still time.
he retired from coaching

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Tons of players have their own rinks, so does Wendel Clark, should we call him too?

These guys have been scoring goals and running drills their entire life, MSL's hockey school isn't going to do anything at this point. if he's doing it for fun, lighten things up, ok. If he really thinks this is going to work, because he is teaching them moves from 'back in the day' he may as well play EA Sports NHL 2016 with them, and show them some moves from there too?

This team has no real structure in any zone, plus the entry is all over the map. It's not all his fault, this team isn't built around any real system but the have loved the dump and chase for the last 30 years, for some reason.

BTW Crosby isn't teaching other guys moves and drills, they are just practicing. He's an active player, one of the best in the world and generational talent, I'd listen to him as well, but he mostly works with the rookies and local players to stay in game shape.

Why are we pampering the coach so much anyways? A really good hockey player doesn't equate to being a good coach, we know this time and time again.

he retired from coaching
You can rip Marty all you want but at least him and his staff are working with our young core players while we are rebuilding , I don't understand how you can be mad about having MSL as our coach we are playing way above expectations imo , we are competitive in most of our games and our roster is crap. We should have another top 10 pick this year.

You are expecting way too much out of a coach. We are rebuilding

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
You can rip Marty all you want but at least him and his staff are working with our young core players while we are rebuilding , I don't understand how you can be mad about having MSL as our coach we are playing way above expectations imo , we are competitive in most of our games and our roster is crap. We should have another top 10 pick this year.

You are expecting way too much out of a coach. We are rebuilding
I’m not mad about MSL , but he gets a free pass around here because if his playing stats and he’s a local boy. The team looks lost out there , and I don’t see much if a system in place that will allow the young guys to score.

I also don’t think he has the team to play any system btw so it’s a lose lose for the most part. If cole regresses this year and Nick , will you still support this coaching. Unit ?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

he retired from coaching

Great players work on fundamentals relentlessly until the day they retire.

Great coaches spend more time with fundamentals and less time with systems then you think... Holds true across sports.

Go read up on Guardiola, Popovich, Woodward et.

Has nothing to do with what MSL did or didn't do as a player... You are 100% correct that being a great player doesn't equate to being a great coach. But some great players do make great coaches, and typically, it is the MSL profiles... Players that weren't immediate stars but had the drive and will to keep learning until they became elite... That kind of trajectory lends itself quite well to appreciating the subtle nuances of mastery and progression that many never come to understand (be it fans or pros).

Reactions: Walksss and dgeezus

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I’m not mad about MSL , but he gets a free pass around here because if his playing stats and he’s a local boy. The team looks lost out there , and I don’t see much if a system in place that will allow the young guys to score.

I also don’t think he has the team to play any system btw so it’s a lose lose for the most part. If cole regresses this year and Nick , will you still support this coaching. Unit ?
Having 4 y2 defensemen do that to teams, I think.

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

He "gets a pass" because of how well he's done in an extremely challenging situation.

Take a look at Huska, Vincent, Granato... Very easy to find a lot of other first time HCs with better rosters getting less from their group than MSL has... Not too mention the very evident cohesion and buy in from the players despite last year's injury ravaged season and the market scrutiny none of those other guys come close having to deal with.

Both CC & Suzuki are looking improved this year, not sure what team you've been watching :dunno:

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
He "gets a pass" because of how well he's done in an extremely challenging situation.

Take a look at Huska, Vincent, Granato... Very easy to find a lot of other first time HCs with better rosters getting less from their group than MSL has... Not too mention the very evident cohesion and buy in from the players despite last year's injury ravaged season and the market scrutiny none of those other guys come close having to deal with.

Both CC & Suzuki are looking improved this year, not sure what team you've been watching :dunno:

I think Cole has looked not that great the last half dozen, and he's my favorite player so I'm rooting for him. Nick doesn't look that engaged, there's been a lot of games I have to go back and see if he was playing.

BTW how is this situation 'extremely challenging'? We are rebuilding, there's no accountability, if there was Burrows would not have a job after last year alone. The problem is going to be if these last two picks are as bad as I suspect, then we are in real trouble. Will we waste another 6 years wondering how good Cole and Nick could have been if they had good players around them?

Having 4 y2 defensemen do that to teams, I think.

Fair enough, but when Fatso and Kent are called out they get a free pass as well. Everyone gets a free pass here, even the scouts.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think Cole has looked not that great the last half dozen, and he's my favorite player so I'm rooting for him. Nick doesn't look that engaged, there's been a lot of games I have to go back and see if he was playing.

BTW how is this situation 'extremely challenging'? We are rebuilding, there's no accountability, if there was Burrows would not have a job after last year alone. The problem is going to be if these last two picks are as bad as I suspect, then we are in real trouble. Will we waste another 6 years wondering how good Cole and Nick could have been if they had good players around them?

CC's shooting a career worse (any level) sh%... It's called a slump, happens to all players from time to time (see McDavid, Connor). But his overall game, imo, has looked as good as I've ever seen it...

I couldn't disagree more with your Suzuki assessment.

Are you really asking why the HC position in Montreal is extremely challenging lol

But beyond the external (fan/media) bipolar pressure, have you taken a look at our roster?
2 1B (at best) Goalies
1 active dman with more than 1 full NHL season on his resume
Not 1 veteran elite or even top line/top pairing caliber player (Monahan and Matheson the closest to that)
2nd youngest roster in the league
top 3 skater lost for season in game 2

And yet, team is ahead, even well ahead, of expected results

id say that's extremely challenging, not sure what you'd call it :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad