Post-Game Talk: Habs in the SENS Den, Saturday Night 7pm on TSN

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Poulin seems to hold DJ in very high regard as a coach, interesting.

Also explained from personal experience why vets didn’t play and agreed with the line up, (only wanted to play 4 games max in preseason as a player) also interesting.

Good game tonight, fast paced, Kelly and Grieg were the best players out there, Bran had some solid moments as well. Ostapchuk was invisible, as was jar Soks, and virtually everyone else save for Smegal and Kasty who were also clear NHLers

Goaltending was bad, MTL was pretty bad, for an NHL team. I enjoyed watching the game.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Surprised to see Imama go down in light of the MacEwen injury. Maybe it’s not serious.

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
Z MacEwen. What a uselASS signing. 6 preseason games and not one face punch throwen. PD needs to go ASAP. Seriously, 3 year contract for this tool? WTF!

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Sokolov showed some good things in this game IMO. He was a bit flat footed in the first, but did a lot of good things as the game went on.

He reminds me a lot of Nick Paul. Different kinds of players, but both took a while to finally make the jump to the NHL and both were written off by a lot of people. Paul had to be waived 3 times before he finally cracked the NHL.

I think Sokolov will crack the NHL fulltime this year.

He has two things working against him and work against people believing in him. First is his skating. It is much better and his top speed is good, but he still doesn't have great agility and turning. His skating flaws were always going to be more noticeable with a weaker roster and in particular a weaker d lineup. In the majority of preseason games he has got into there has been the weak roster and d which created more chaotic play and as a consequence highlighted his weaknesses in skating. With a full lineup and strong d corp, he would perform much better.

Second, he has a tendency to get in his head and think the game too much instead of just playing. It has been a common challenge for him starting the season's in Belleville, where the coaching staff would point out his slower start and the fact that he is thinking too much. When he thinks the game too much and is caught up in his head, he doesn't move his feet as much and can get flat footed. His skating issues become more apparent when that happens. He can also squeeze the stick too tight which causes him to be less effective with the puck.

I am sure lots of people on here will disagree with me, but I think he showed a lot of good signs in training camp and isn't far off from being a fulltime NHL player. I think the fact that he cleared waivers helped him in some ways as he could use a bit more grooming at the AHL level. I won't be surprised if he has a strong start to the year in the AHL, gets a call up at some point and then sticks with the big club for the rest of the year after that.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Bailey not released, so I guess they are signing him. It better be league minimum.

Last edited:

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
What more could Jarventie do to make the team? I admittedly didn’t watch much of the preseason but seeing him show up on the stats sheet almost every game felt like a shoe in

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
What more could Jarventie do to make the team? I admittedly didn’t watch much of the preseason but seeing him show up on the stats sheet almost every game felt like a shoe in
I think he’s still just 21 right? Lots of time for him to develop further. Next year is a good time for him to come up full time.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Random thoughts

The Brannstrom to Kubalik goal was a thing of beauty

Soogard wasn't Soogood. A few softies.

At times I get Parker Kelly and at times I don't. He's a shit disturber and if he can draw more penalties than he takes, he can be ok. But that might be a tall ask.

Sokolov can't skate at an NHL level. Neither can Bailey who turned a potential 2 on 1 into nothing

Jarventie is going to be a player

My god the Habs are awful. They had their hands full playing a team without a single top 6/4 player and at that won because a young goalie let in some softies

Reactions: Icelevel

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Dj spoke about him post game. Sung his praises and said he’s close very close. Ideally neither him nor Grieg are here. They both need some more seasoning

Reactions: Icelevel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad