Post-Game Talk: Habs in the SENS Den, Saturday Night 7pm on TSN

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Biggest disappointment of the night by far was Sogaard. Three of those goals were absolute muffins - if you want to be an NHL starter you just have to make those saves. I just think the guy is too tall, weird as that sounds - he is so lanky that it exposes holes, and on top of that he just plays so small for a big guy. Meralainen should be getting the bulk of the starts in Belleville - he is the prospect we should be developing.

Reactions: gab6511 and JD1

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Biggest disappointment of the night by far was Sogaard. Three of those goals were absolute muffins - if you want to be an NHL starter you just have to make those saves. I just think the guy is too tall, weird as that sounds - he is so lanky that it exposes holes, and on top of that he just plays so small for a big guy. Meralainen should be getting the bulk of the starts in Belleville - he is the prospect we should be developing.
Tough to put it on Mads considering he was backstopping an AHL team while playing against an NHL team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What? You're blaming Soogard? He kept them in it. Was an ahl team vs a bad nhl team.

Soogard isn't remotely close to being done developing either. Imagine thinking this is it he has way more upside and potential than merilainen.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Watching the game again this morning. Brannström had a great game. Create assist on the end end, and on the next shift it would’ve been beautiful if he got a shot off of the spin-o-Rama.

Soogard had a rough one. Not just letting in a couple of goals should’ve had but mishandling the puck, having pucks bounce off his glove he was trying to catch, not covering pucks he thought were covered, just all around not good.

You could tell this was a lineup missing our stars. Looking forward to season opener.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Tough to put it on Mads considering he was backstopping an AHL team while playing against an NHL team.
Yeah but that doesn’t change the fact he was letting in soft goals. He played great in his first pre season start. He’s still super young so I think things are overblown. But. He let in soft goals

Bailey released from PTO
Kinda had to happen. There’s no real spot for him.

Chartier took his spot.
Not exactly sure chartier was any better? But we have to think about jarventies development as well.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yeah but that doesn’t change the fact he was letting in soft goals. He played great in his first pre season start. He’s still super young so I think things are overblown. But. He let in soft goals

Kinda had to happen. There’s no real spot for him.

Not exactly sure chartier was any better
? But we have to think about jarventies development as well.
Probably came down to him being 100k cheaper. Every $ counts.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Probably came down to him being 100k cheaper. Every $ counts.

Yup. CapFriendly is showing 62K in cap space, and Smejkal makes about 100K more than Chartier.

Pretty embarrassing cap mismanagement from a team that is just exiting a rebuild and has yet to even make the playoffs.

Reactions: NyQuil

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Chartier is a C who can PK.

It isn't ideal but the dollars make sense and he can fill a need for a short while.

I think Greig can handle the C2 role for a while, as well. He needs to stop with the dumb penalties but he can make plays.

Reactions: gab6511 and Emrasie

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
On another note, I feel really bad for Fizer.

He finally gets into a game, looks good on all of his shifts, including getting a puck on net to creat a goal and then seems to go down, without contact.

He was put on the PP, was injured and never came back. I hope it isn't too bad but non-contact injuries generally seem to be significant.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
On another note, I feel really bad for Fizer.

He finally gets into a game, looks good on all of his shifts, including getting a puck on net to creat a goal and then seems to go down, without contact.

He was put on the PP, was injured and never came back. I hope it isn't too bad but non-contact injuries generally seem to be significant.
He had a shot but faced stiff competition. OK I'm done now.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Chartier is a C who can PK.

It isn't ideal but the dollars make sense and he can fill a need for a short while.

I think Greig can handle the C2 role for a while, as well. He needs to stop with the dumb penalties but he can make plays.
Is Chartier good on face offs?

I don’t know if Greig has progressed much, but I do remember that first pre season game against the Leafs he got eaten alive.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad