News Article: Habs hires Team 33 (new pro scouting service)

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Yes.

Basically Team 33 was created by Mike Santos, ex assistant GM in 3 NHL teams. Its brand new, started prior to this season. They hire pro scouts who attend games and give qualitative scouting reports but also quantitative. These then get added into the single value called "Team 33 Value", a single overall grade for each player taking into account his performance, age, progression curve, injury history, salary etc... They also estimate example X player in SHL with a grade of Y would be a grade of Z in the NHL.

Its new, its not universally accepted, this single value grade and some people wonder its value if every team will have access to it. And will teams have access to the underlying aggregate date.

That's it.

Its not analytics, See my brief summary above.
They also compare the value of each draft pick and compares it to NHL players based on the last 15 years of draft data. i.e. If a team wants to acquire a player and is willing to pay a 2nd round pick...then it compares that specific players 'value' to the value of that specific pick in that part of round 2.
That would be very interesting to see.

DailyKaizen

For the world in general actually
Possibly, but devil's advocate...when it comes to political vetting...it seems better than sports? I guess because the stakes are much higher financially.

What do you call those Vetter guys (not fixers or spinners) that vet you by askif you to reveal all your skeletons and secrets that may be compromising so they can stay on top of things with the best counter and be ahead of the curve when a story is leaked or comes out?

But I take your point though, I guess it is because mental/psychological etc can not be quantified, tabulated or "statified" the same way goals and assists can be.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
For the moment, only 4 teams are using that scouting service, according to The Athletic.

A quote about how it works.

There could be other teams doing something similar as well with a competitor of team 33.

If Anaheim is paying for this, my feeling is that this kind of data access is easily replicable, and it's not just the big markets with the resources to do it.

HabsFather

Twitter: @HabsFather
Jul 12, 2006
Montreal Forum
www.getthepuckout.net
As i expected.
HuGo leaked two falsehoods in drafting Slafkovsky and Cooley to their inherited scouting team. Once the info leaked out within hours they knew that team had to go. Thank goodness!

Can't wait to see Wright in a Habs uniform

Reactions: BLONG7

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Meh does not seem to be widely accepted as something good. Guess time will tell and as someone mentioned I think, if any team can sign on there is no real advantage. I guess if you have the money to spend getting a little extra info should not hurt.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't care about getting exclusive information. I just want the Habs to have all the information.

100% of on-ice data is available to anyone sitting in the arena. I assume this service simply organizes and compares the data, adding an extra layer of knowledge to the Habs' assessment of each prospect. Placing a premium on information is an example of solid management, leagues ahead of the last decade of scouting that seemed to go on hunches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad