News Article: Habs hires Team 33 (new pro scouting service)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

As soon as Jeff Gorton arrived, and even more so after Kent Hughes was hired two months later, the change in the tone and approach of the Canadiens compared to the previous administration was striking. Whether it was an outside the box hire behind the bench, integrating an innovative player development expert, the association with Marie-Philip Poulin, or even beginning the process of building a full analytics department, there was a strong impression that the Canadiens wanted to leave the old school behind them and enter the modern era.....

Last edited by a moderator:

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Very interesting...
Progressive thinking for sure.
Can you post the article, it wont let me access it............assuming you have to pay to have the Athletic?
Yes.

Basically Team 33 was created by Mike Santos, ex assistant GM in 3 NHL teams. Its brand new, started prior to this season. They hire pro scouts who attend games and give qualitative scouting reports but also quantitative. These then get added into the single value called "Team 33 Value", a single overall grade for each player taking into account his performance, age, progression curve, injury history, salary etc... They also estimate example X player in SHL with a grade of Y would be a grade of Z in the NHL.

Its new, its not universally accepted, this single value grade and some people wonder its value if every team will have access to it. And will teams have access to the underlying aggregate date.

That's it.

Its not analytics, See my brief summary above.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Yes.

Basically Team 33 was created by Mike Santos, ex assistant GM in 3 NHL teams. Its brand new, started prior to this season. They hire pro scouts who attend games and give qualitative scouting reports but also quantitative. These then get added into the single value called "Team 33 Value", a single overall grade for each player taking into account his performance, age, progression curve, injury history, salary etc... They also estimate example X player in SHL with a grade of Y would be a grade of Z in the NHL.

Its new, its not universally accepted, this single value grade and some people wonder its value if every team will have access to it. And will teams have access to the underlying aggregate date.

That's it.

Its not analytics, See my brief summary above.

I saw the edit in OP, deleted my post.

Reactions: HomaridII

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

can you quote the article most of us dont have the Atlantic
We shouldn't be copying and pasting articles from sources that survive off subscriptions such as The Athletic. Pretty sure that's breaking forum rules as well.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Interesting ! Another progressive thinking move for HuGo. Makes sense too, since they won't be able to fill out the scouting department with people from other orgs until after this draft. They're definitely trying very hard to have as much intel as possible.

Reactions: Runner77

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Very interesting...
Progressive thinking for sure.
Can you post the article, it wont let me access it............assuming you have to pay to have the Athletic?

that's against the copyright rules of the site. Right now the Athletic is charging 1 dollar a month US for 6 months, cancel at anytime.

can you quote the article most of us dont have the Atletic

against the rules.

We shouldn't be copying and pasting articles from sources that survive off subscriptions such as The Athletic. Pretty sure that's breaking forum rules as well.

correct!

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Interesting article, like the concept which is there trying to create a scoring system similar to WAR for teams, there also able to go deeper on single teams as instead of 1 team paying them they have multiple. Sounds like it's more focused on the Pro side vs. Amateur though

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Do they work in Europe where the Habs scouting has been atrocious for decades?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I wonder which other NHL teams are using the service.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
I wonder which other NHL teams are using the service.
Four NHL teams, including Montreal and Anaheim. Its $100k per year. They employ 18 scouts worldwide.

NHL teams can filter things like, give me all the centers below 25 with a Team 33 score above XYZ worldwide. Then scout the players themselves. Its intended to complement an NHL team's scouting team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad