Habs hire Marie-Philip Poulin

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
Inclusiveness is nice if it is coupled with talent. Give Poulin a fair chance to see if she is good at this job. Maybe next Montréal will spread its inclusiveness to English speakers, male and female alike.
Nah, even if they do, you will still see dinosaurs protesting outside the Bell Center:naughty::naughty:

ollipolli88

May 22, 2022
I find it interesting that teams are picking some of the perceived "best" female players to teach skills (Leafs / Habs). I like the concept. But do these teams have any proof other than watching them play that they can actually be great teachers as well? Don't get me wrong, I don't think for a second it is a bad idea, but in my experience the most talented players are more often than not doers more than teachers.
Yeah, a lot of great players just have raw talent at their sport. That's not something you can really teach. That's why great players rarely become good coaches or trainers.

Maybe she's one of those rare cases where she can become a great trainer. Who knows? Just have to wait and see.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, I really don't get this move. Who will she be helping anyway, NHL draft picks who have a contract with the team? They all probably are way better than her anyway. What could she teach them? And it must be strange as a player having someone used to a completely different game and who probably isn't even on the same level as them giving them consultation advice. Then combine that with the fact that she still even has her career as a player going on.

Feels like a publicity stunt to me.

Reactions: The Electrician

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
When was the last time a "part-time" "player development consultant" had a nationally broadcasted press conference? I know and understand why but, c'mon.

I fully support equal opportunity in life and (in this case) sports but we will never actually break the glass ceiling with blatent pandering and hand-holding. May as well ask her to curtsy at the end for bonus points.

(No offense to women, I also feel the same about minorities and the gays.)

Reactions: The Electrician

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Yeah, I really don't get this move. Who will she be helping anyway, NHL draft picks who have a contract with the team? They all probably are way better than her anyway. What could she teach them? And it must be strange as a player having someone used to a completely different game and who probably isn't even on the same level as them giving them consultation advice. Then combine that with the fact that she still even has her career as a player going on.

I wouldn't brush it off like that.

NHL draft picks know nothing about handling pressure on the biggest stage like Poulin. She has done it and done it well. That alone allows her to offer something unique they can tap into.

She will also have notable experience in developing physical and mental skills starting as a young athlete to a mature one. This is information that is often transferrable.

Reactions: viceroy

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

All NHLers and probably even draftees are actually better players than their coaches (with very few exceptions, one being possibly the guy behind the bench in Montreal because he's an HHoFer who isn't that old) yet this is the first time this argument is brought up.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Inclusiveness is nice if it is coupled with talent. Give Poulin a fair chance to see if she is good at this job. Maybe next Montréal will spread its inclusiveness to English speakers, male and female alike.

Jeff Gorton, John Sedgwick, Nick Bobrov, Sean Burke, Trevor Letowski, Luke Richardson, Rob Ramage, Adam Nicholas, Adam Douglas, Eric Crawford, David Maclean, Reid Simpson, Christer Rockstrom, Hannu Laine, Bobby Kinsella, Matt Turek, Tommy Lehman, Michal Krupa, Artem Telepin, Dr. David Mulder, Dr. Dan Deckelbaum, Dr. Ed Harvey, Dr. Mitchell Bernstein and Dr. Kosar Khwaja would all like to have a word with you.

There are English/Other speakers all throughout the organization.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Having better physical tools doesn't mean you have better technique, vision or understanding of the game.

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
Jeff Gorton, John Sedgwick, Nick Bobrov, Sean Burke, Trevor Letowski, Luke Richardson, Rob Ramage, Adam Nicholas, Adam Douglas, Eric Crawford, David Maclean, Reid Simpson, Christer Rockstrom, Hannu Laine, Bobby Kinsella, Matt Turek, Tommy Lehman, Michal Krupa, Artem Telepin, Dr. David Mulder, Dr. Dan Deckelbaum, Dr. Ed Harvey, Dr. Mitchell Bernstein and Dr. Kosar Khwaja would all like to have a word with you.

There are English/Other speakers all throughout the organization.
You can list a million names and it will mean nothing because of the Cunneyworth protests and how Koivu was treated near the end because he did not want to talk French on camera, But no one dared to say anything to Weber.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
You can list a million names and it will mean nothing because of the Cunneyworth protests and how Koivu was treated near the end because he did not want to talk French on camera, But no one dared to say anything to Weber.
So who are you blaming? The organization? The fans? The media?

Stop moving the goalposts and face your own xenophobia, please.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Koivu was given a standing ovation when he returned to the Bell Centre. The Cunneyworth 'protest' was 20 people 11 years ago.

What's telling is defining the Habs by two ancient one-off fan reactions, rather than the current state of the organization.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
It sounds like a lot of her role is on individual player skill development which is what Oates does. I think in this type of role being a highly skilled player that understands where to go around the ice would be a definite asset. You couple that with her work ethic and drive and I think she has the skills to excel. I'm sure she's probably already done a lot of teaching with the younger players on team Canada. I think she's a good choice for the role.

Exactly. Ok, maybe her biology/physical attributes make it impossible for her to play with NHLers. But, her understanding of hockey skills, placement and the mechanics behind it is not hindered by the same physical limits.

Annointed captain everywhere she goes, I assume she has strong leadership skills.

she also studied psychology at Boston University, I'm sure that can't hurt in a coaching/development job.

Good for her. She found a place where she can continue to lobe amd breathe hockey after her career as a player. Totally deserved.

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
Koivu was given a standing ovation when he returned to the Bell Centre. The Cunneyworth 'protest' was 20 people 11 years ago.

What's telling is defining the Habs by two ancient one-off fan reactions, rather than the current state of the organization.
Yes all this is true. It was unfortunate that the media (Not the fans) were badgering him about speaking in French on TV. He said he would be more comfortable speaking to them off camera but the media were being assholes about it.

I'm very happy to see the current state of the habs. Very good hires, diversified, much less politics and a translator if needed :) Excellent start after 1 year by Gorton & Hughes

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
A lot of NHL players and fans speak multiple languages. What’s wrong with having people working for any club who can speak more than one language?

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
The entire staff, including the latest hire Poulin, speaks English. It's never been a problem finding people who speak English, and it never will be one.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
When was the last time a "part-time" "player development consultant" had a nationally broadcasted press conference? I know and understand why but, c'mon.

I fully support equal opportunity in life and (in this case) sports but we will never actually break the glass ceiling with blatent pandering and hand-holding. May as well ask her to curtsy at the end for bonus points.

When was the last time such an hire scored 3 game-winning goals in Olympic Games Finals?

When was the last time such an hire scored 3 game-winning goals in Olympic Games Finals?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Might want to brush off your Canadian hockey knowledge. MPP is a Hockey Canada hero, it's not like she's some random player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad