Habs hire Marie-Philip Poulin

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
What does a “player development consultant” do?
From NHL.com:

Among her responsibilities, Poulin will be called upon to join the players on the ice and in video sessions to work on their individual and collective skills, in collaboration with the director of player development, Rob Ramage, and the director of hockey development Adam Nicholas.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I find it interesting that teams are picking some of the perceived "best" female players to teach skills (Leafs / Habs). I like the concept. But do these teams have any proof other than watching them play that they can actually be great teachers as well? Don't get me wrong, I don't think for a second it is a bad idea, but in my experience the most talented players are more often than not doers more than teachers.

Reactions: The Electrician

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I find it interesting that teams are picking some of the perceived "best" female players to teach skills (Leafs / Habs). I like the concept. But do these teams have any proof other than watching them play that they can actually be great teachers as well? Don't get me wrong, I don't think for a second it is a bad idea, but in my experience the most talented players are more often than not doers more than teachers.

...You can safely drop the quotation marks around "best". It's Marie-Phiipp Poulin. You can also safely drop the "perceived" because her status very clearly a matter of fact at this point.

But, on topic... Larry Robinson has been praised pretty much around the league for his work as a D-coach, which would involve some "skill" coaching as well. He was a pretty good player. He's not the only one I can think of either -- Jacques Laperrière held that role with the Canadiens for more than 15 years.

I guess it depends on the individual.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

You have to try to know if you're good. No coach knew they were good coaches without starting to coach.

We do know she's a great leader which is a good start.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
...You can safely drop the quotation marks around "best". It's Marie-Phiipp Poulin. You can also safely drop the "perceived" because her status very clearly a matter of fact at this point.

But, on topic... Larry Robinson has been praised pretty much around the league for his work as a D-coach, which would involve some "skill" coaching as well. He was a pretty good player. He's not the only one I can think of either -- Jacques Laperrière held that role with the Canadiens for more than 15 years.

I guess it depends on the individual.
Wickenheiser is still the GOAT as things stand today. Compare the resumes. It’s at the very least a conversation and to act like Poulin is above even the discussion is hilarious.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Wickenheiser is still the GOAT as things stand today. Compare the resumes. It’s at the very least a conversation and to act like Poulin is above even the discussion is hilarious.

The original quote in this thread was plural, and it's not even a very long thread.

Are you claiming that she's not one of the "perceived best female players" in the women's game?

Reactions: Monk

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
You have to try to know if you're good. No coach knew they were good coaches without starting to coach.

We do know she's a great leader which is a good start.

True, just like everything else, there is risk involved. Gretzky was a terrible coach but Rod Brindamour is amazing and a top 10 coach in the league right now.

If you just go by stats and skill, you would assume it would be Gretzky.

I feel coaching is more about knowing when to say the right things to push your players than it is about X's and O's.

You can hire assistant coaches, and player development and specific skill coaches for all that. A good head coach needs to know what to do to get the best of out of his team more than focus about how one player shoots the puck or skates without it etc.

Reactions: Theodore450

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

@Bear of Bad News said everything I would have said, but without the usual insults and condescending attitude one would expect from me at this point.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
She is an amazing hockey player and person but would make a much better consultant after her career, not during it.

I still applaud the general intention. One more step toward inclusiveness.

I would assume a big part of it is simply to help support financially during her career, womens hockey does not pay well.

Reactions: MadLuke

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The original quote in this thread was plural, and it's not even a very long thread.

Are you claiming that she's not one of the "perceived best female players" in the women's game?
I wasn’t responding to the original post in the thread though was I? I’m not sure how you can perceive someone saying MPP is the best as a plural? Because it isn’t.

@Bear of Bad News said everything I would have said, but without the usual insults and condescending attitude one would expect from me at this point.
Yeah I wasn’t responding to the original post though I was responding to you who did call MPP the best and not one of the perceived best as you literally had an issue with the quotation marks not giving her enough plaudits. Maybe I misinterpreted your meaning but the original post is irrelevant to my response to you.

Reactions: Bowski and MXD

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
True, just like everything else, there is risk involved. Gretzky was a terrible coach but Rod Brindamour is amazing and a top 10 coach in the league right now.

If you just go by stats and skill, you would assume it would be Gretzky.

I feel coaching is more about knowing when to say the right things to push your players than it is about X's and O's.

You can hire assistant coaches, and player development and specific skill coaches for all that. A good head coach needs to know what to do to get the best of out of his team more than focus about how one player shoots the puck or skates without it etc.

Brindamour was a great leader as a player, not sure I would say the same for Gretzky.

If that's a big factor, then Poulin should be fine.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
She is an amazing hockey player and person but would make a much better consultant after her career, not during it.

I still applaud the general intention. One more step toward inclusiveness.

It was their plan the whole time

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It sounds like a lot of her role is on individual player skill development which is what Oates does. I think in this type of role being a highly skilled player that understands where to go around the ice would be a definite asset. You couple that with her work ethic and drive and I think she has the skills to excel. I'm sure she's probably already done a lot of teaching with the younger players on team Canada. I think she's a good choice for the role.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Inclusiveness is nice if it is coupled with talent. Give Poulin a fair chance to see if she is good at this job. Maybe next Montréal will spread its inclusiveness to English speakers, male and female alike.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad