News Article: Habs have spoken with Jagr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Anybody who looks at age or stats is out to lunch. The guy still battles and plays a puck possession game. Even at his age, he still manages to protect the puck along the boards and come out with it more often than not. If there was one problem last year, especially in the playoffs, was that the Habs played dump and chase but had nobody to take the puck and protect it to establish presence in the offensive zone. You have Plekanec, who is a very smart player, soft-dumping it into a corner and Jagr getting to it, you'll establish a high volume of pressure.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
At first, when I saw the news, I said to myself: 'no, not this Jagr talk again, it can't be true, it's one or two years too late'. However, after thinking about it a bit longer, I may be interested in Jagr IF we are able to trade Gionta before signing him. He would certainly bring some size to the top 6.

This lineup looks pretty good:

Thing is, can we really trade Gionta with the injury? I can only see a team like NJ taking him OR if the due diligence is done on him returning to health soon. 1yr Jagr deal would be fine, but I don't have to need to sign him just cuz he's a legend. Would rather see Gally stay in the top 6. F'in love watching him play and fwiw I think he's currently better than Jagr. Obviously IF Gio is traded for a good pick (he isn't scraps contrary to popular belief - hell of a lot of, yup, character, funny to see him as chaff, but Jagr as a team guy), it makes more sense.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
well the fact that he left the NHL for money and came back for the same reasons, I thought he was kind of a selfish guy. The type of player who can destroy a locker room with their "i'm just here because they pay me good" attitude

but turns out he's not that type of guy

I don't get that feeling.

There's numerous reports that said Jagr is a very professional player. He's always the first to jump on the ice in practice and always the last to leave. He did a lot of extra time practicing during the playoffs. It shows his commitment, professionalism and willing to win. I wouldn't questioned his attitude.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Anybody who looks at age or stats is out to lunch. The guy still battles and plays a puck possession game. Even at his age, he still manages to protect the puck along the boards and come out with it more often than not. If there was one problem last year, especially in the playoffs, was that the Habs played dump and chase but had nobody to take the puck and protect it to establish presence in the offensive zone. You have Plekanec, who is a very smart player, soft-dumping it into a corner and Jagr getting to it, you'll establish a high volume of pressure.

Agreed with this. I wouldn't call Jagr a great need because even in his prime he wasn't a 2-way player and he's definitely quite slow now, but he's different than what we have - a big winger who is still very difficult to knock off the puck, who will win the majority of offensive-zone puck battles he gets involved in, and who still has better hands than 90% of this team to be constructive with the possession advantage he gives. I thought he played a significant role in the Bruin's cup final run beyond the scoreboard.

Like always I have my doubts the team has any interest in Jagr, but he has value far beyond the novelty of having Jagr on the Habs.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
We'd have to make a trade.

Pacioretty, Plekanec, Desharnais, Bourque, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Eller, Gionta, Briere, Prust, Moen, Parros and White. 13 not including Jagr.

While I'd love to see him playing with Plekanec, I'd love to see him teach Galchenyuk and Eller the beast mode.

From what I heard Gionta is not starting the year. So that may take us a few weeks into the season where injuries happen all the time. also I don't see Parros playing every game.

It's doable but yeah I'd like to see one of DD or Gionta traded.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
There are few players better down low than Jagr. The man protects the puck like its nobody's business. He's not a superstar anymore, but in a secondary or tertiary role he would be effective, especially for puck possession.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Dunno if its been mentioned in this thread, but Grant Mcagg says that he has a pretty solid source who stated that the habs wont be signing jagr.

Moves Like Jagr

Oct 20, 2011
Kitchener
My username will finally be relevant to the team I cheer for! Let's get it done.

Pretty sure this was all part of MB's plan all along hence the non qualifying of weber. Allows Jagr to take his 68.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
I remember Ken Holland talking about bringing back Igor Larionov when he was 40ish. He said he knew he wouldn't contribute as much as in the past but he wanted his young players to see and learn from a real dedicated professional, how to prepare and handle yourself.

Forget about stats, 68 would bring so much more to the table. And like mentioned, he has expressed interest in Montreal. Who was the last hall of famer in the Habs dressing room, Gilmour?

I remember a game I was at in Ottawa, years ago. Sens led the Pens 3-0 after two periods. I was close enough to the Pens bench to hear Jagr tell his teammates, we're not losing this game at the start of the 3rd period. He beautifully set up 2 goals and then scored the tying goal in the last minute.

10 and 68, probably my two favorites all time.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
If it's a one year deal at under 4 mill, sign him.
But, I think trades will have to be done to even out the lines.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Zero goals in 22 play off games. The tank is empty folks.

Did you watch the games or you're one of those who looks only at the stats. Jagr was one of the best if not the best forward against Chicago. Re watch and see for yourself. That shot off the bar in the OT period, breakaway passes, controlling of the puck down low, Chara would have a hard time containing a player like Jagr

Analyzer*

So, this is our yearly "Jagr is coming OMFG"

Confirmed with Link: Jagr DOESN'T sign here.

He'd be good for the first half of the season. Then he'd slow down.

Xegiie

Oct 21, 2011
Czech republic
some facts for ppl who doesn't follow Jagr as much as i do.

1] Jagr has played 101 games last year, most ppl say he was ok last year only because of it was half of a season.. but in fact he played more games than anyone in the league..

2] no Jagr is not looking for 2 years deal. He said he wants 1 year deal now at his age and go 1 by 1 year. He loves hockey, he wants to play he wants to be useful.

3] yes he did not score... he had some mad bad luck 3 posts 2 of them should be in for sure but it just didnt happen for some reason

4] what can you read about Jagr he made some nice passes to Bergy and Marchand, but if you watched closely Marchand never made pass to Jagr even he was comming alone from 2nd wave or just standing alone by goalie, B fans are not gonna admit that but i know what i saw.
In the end Jagr developrd chemistry with Bergeron, but Bergeron got injured and dissapeared just like Marchand, Seguin.

5] the mad chemistry between him and Plekanec is real, in Kladno Jagr was on pace to have most points in league in fact i think he was 2nd in the end even he was not there for whole season, on pace close to 1.7 ppg.

6] Look what Jagr did with Hartnell and Giroux. They had good chemistry and Jagr was on pace of 1ppg till half of season where he got renewed his old groin injury (in the flyers- rangers game) since then he rushed back to game, got injured again... never healed in that season. Tho last year it seemed ok till last game? we dont know what happend him there.

Yes he is slow, he can still make his mates free and make sick pass, he can get himself free and score, but that didnt work with Marchand..
he is still well worth of 3M for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad