News Article: Habs have spoken with Jagr

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Well, injuries do happen, so I wouldn't worry too much about the opening day lineups, because they never stay the same throughout the course of the season.

The habs don't have enough big frames in the top 6 that are capable of protecting the puck once inside the opposing zone. Jagr brings that, so it wouldn't be a bad fit. You can't just rely on the transition game to get most of your goals, especially in the playoffs. This type of move gives the habs more balance.

and a beauty PP

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
You didn't watch much, did you? He played good, the results just didn't come. In terms of work, the tank is far from empty.

1 year deal and let him and Plekanec work their magic.

Jagr looked good all the way to cup..Habs never been that far in way too long,lol
I would love to see Jagr in a Habs uni round 4 so called strugglin..,,lol

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
As much as I like Jagr the former player, his chemistry with Pleks, him being a great guy, NO THANKS!

He's done in the NHL as an actual threat, with all due respect. Was hard to watch him with Boston. Was great in that game 7 in terms of leadership, but no, waste of lineup spot. We're a fast team, North-South, Jags just doesn't fit anymore.

First of all, like I said, you are aware that Jagr is probably one of the player that played the most games last year right? I don't think he looked that bad. He stole top 6 job from the 21 yr old kid in the playoffs!

Also, it's not because we have a "fast" team means that everyone needs to be fast. Actually, that's more of a problem! Having all the same kind of players (small). We need balance.

Remember the Nintendo game "Ice hockey"? You can't win with all small speedy players. You need a team like this:

ice+hockey+team.jpg

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I don't think it makes sense to sign Jagr unless a trade is in place. We would have way too many top 6 forwards and it would restrict our youth from more ice time. Doesn't make any sense.

We know Jagr has been all about money, so it is probably better for the Habs if we didn't sign him... unless he has a sudden change of heart, which is extremely doubtful. We don't need to overpay for a player like Jagr.

boompuffboom

Jul 10, 2007
man-- Jagr is a ****** legend.

id be thrilled to have him play one season with the habs.

regardless of his production he is a savvy veteran with a glorious portfolio. This is the kind of guy (big) kids dream of playing with...

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
I'm down for a one year deal. How long is Gio supposed to be out anyways?

I agree. 1year deal would be good. You can never have enough offence. We win need to rest him before the playoffs so he is ready for another long run in the playoffs.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I don't think it makes sense to sign Jagr unless a trade is in place. We would have way too many top 6 forwards and it would restrict our youth from more ice time. Doesn't make any sense.

We know Jagr has been all about money, so it is probably better for the Habs if we didn't sign him... unless he has a sudden change of heart, which is extremely doubtful. We don't need to overpay for a player like Jagr.

If it really in his heart about Montreal.to play for a Canadian team first time ever..this is his last chance..

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Id love to see...

Max Pacioretty - Tomas Plekanec - Jaromir Jagr
Danny Briere - David Desharnais - Rene Bourque
Alex Galchenyuk - Lars Eller - Brendan Gallagher
Brandon Prust - Ryan White - George Parros

Maybe some alterations within the lines, but I like it.

Yes, quickly fixed it.

dreamingofdrouin*

Zero goals in 22 play off games. The tank is empty folks.

the amount of chances he had...the un-be-lieveable bad luck he had....you cant go by this...he can create opportunities for others to score with his size....he is unbeatable against the boards...doesn't have the jump anymore obviously but is still in unbelieveable shap to be playing at his age..and iq never dies...if he wants to be a part of the montreal canadiens than we should be welcoming him with open arms...that's the kind of character guys we want on this team...guys who want to be here...stop gap or not...bring him in make it happen

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I had my doubts about his attitude, but man the guy is a true legend and still has the passion, i'd take him any day

and anyone saying we don't have space for him : there is always space for a great player.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
First of all, like I said, you are aware that Jagr is probably one of the player that played the most games last year right? I don't think he looked that bad. He stole top 6 job from the 21 yr old kid in the playoffs!

Also, it's not because we have a "fast" team means that everyone needs to be fast. Actually, that's more of a problem! Having all the same kind of players (small). We need balance.

Remember the Nintendo game "Ice hockey"? You can't win with all small speedy players. You need a team like this:

ice+hockey+team.jpg

Of course they can't all be speedy, but make no mistake, our forte last year was a quick counter attack and not the zone presence that boston tended to make use of more. Also, and this is just my opinion, I thought he was just brutal in the playoffs. He may have racked up some assists, but all this puck protection stuff is really just his reputation rather than what he actually did. I remember him screwing up so many plays and when I wanted Bosotn to beat Toronto, the number of facepalms I had to do as a result of him even letting that get to game 7...

I really like Jagr as a guy - he was such a "nice" bruin, and no doubt HHOFmer. I just prefer someone with speed than Jagr. You were talking about balance. We have balance, except maybe on 1 or two roster spots. Everyone makes it seem like we are a pee-wee team and forgets the goals we scored and how they were scored. I get the hate for DD and partially for Gionta, but as silly as it sounds, I prefer them (realizing DD is a C) to Jagr AT THIS POINT IN TIME. If this was when he was still with Dallas and I hadn't seen him with the bruins, I'd say HELL YES! But seeing him in the playoffs, I thought he brought down his linemates and benefitted from them more than the opposite.

For all we know, this could get done and if it does, that's fine (and trading gio wouldn't be the worst thing, though I still think he's a very decent contributor). I would just rather pass on him.

In related news, I wonder if DD knows just how much everyone hates him and whether that is going to motivate him to return to 2011-2012 form. (Or is he insulated by the RDS **** fest?)

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Desperation? Adding Jagr would be an intelligent move from Bergevin. He's adding a huge complementary piece to the team. It's not about relying on Jagr to perform, but what he can bring to the team. At 40 yrs old, he still is one of the best puck protectors of the NHL. Sign him for 1 year and trade DD or Gionta.

Habs Fan 13

Jan 16, 2007
At first, when I saw the news, I said to myself: 'no, not this Jagr talk again, it can't be true, it's definitely one or two years too late'. However, after thinking about it a bit longer, I may be interested in Jagr for 1 year IF we are able to trade Gionta. He would certainly bring some size to the top 6.

These 3 lines look pretty good to me:
Max Pacioretty - David Desharnais - Rene Bourque
Danny Briere - Tomas Plekanec - Jaromir Jagr
Alex Galchenyuk - Lars Eller - Brendan Gallagher

Last edited:

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
What do you mean doubt his attitude? Like he doesn't want to win? Or lazy?

well the fact that he left the NHL for money and came back for the same reasons, I thought he was kind of a selfish guy. The type of player who can destroy a locker room with their "i'm just here because they pay me good" attitude

but turns out he's not that type of guy

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
We'd have to make a trade.

Pacioretty, Plekanec, Desharnais, Bourque, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Eller, Gionta, Briere, Prust, Moen, Parros and White. 13 not including Jagr.

While I'd love to see him playing with Plekanec, I'd love to see him teach Galchenyuk and Eller the beast mode.

If they sign Jagr, Desharnais is probably on his way out with Briere sliding back to center.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
I would love jagr for 1 year, he wants to play in mont bad, after he was traded to boston there was an article in a boston paper and he said he told his agent to call montreal and ask them if they where intested and mb said no intersted so he signed with dallas. I'm not sure why mb would have interest now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad