Post-Game Talk: Habs get creamed, again

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The minor league goaltenders cannot make a key save. Thats it. Thats all.

It's a huge problem....one that seems to be glossed over.

Look, I'm a Condon fan...but let's remember he was in the ECHL and not on anyone's radar 2 years ago.

Tokarski is a below average backup goalie in the NHL, hell, he's an average starter in the AHL

Not to ignore the fact that the forwards have gone ice cold.

But it would nice to not have back breaking goals go in consistently....goaltenders inspire confidence, I think the offense struggling is a representation of their lack of confidence in both goalies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

Look, I'm a Condon fan...but let's remember he was in the ECHL and not on anyone's radar 2 years ago.

Tokarski is a below average backup goalie in the NHL, hell, he's an average starter in the AHL

But it would nice to not have back breaking goals go in consistently....goaltenders inspire confidence, I think the offense struggling is a representation of their lack of confidence in both goalies.

It definitely is a big problem. I created a thread not long after Price went down about bringing in another goalie, but I was told it was nothing to worry about by the majority. Well, here we are.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

or maybe the lack of goal scoring add too much pressure on two inexperienced (at NHL level) goalies ?

I mean, when your margin of error is 0 goals, it's tough you know...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
or maybe the lack of goal scoring add too much pressure on two inexperienced (at NHL level) goalies ?

They are going into the game knowing:
They've been thrown under the bus.
They are replacing the best goalie in the world for a long period of time.
Their coach has no confidence in them.
They can't allow 2 goals.
Most nights, recently, a top 10 goalie has been at the other end of the ice.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

it goes both ways, the players cant trust the goalies to stop what end up being backbreakers, and the goalies cant trust the players to score enough so that they still have a chance to win with a bad goal or two.

i wonder if this is just being pot committed with condon. he played way better than expected early, if we would have played then like we are playing now, I see a vet coming in. but with that early run, we are saying that this is our guy for better or worse.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
It definitely is a big problem. I created a thread not long after Price went down about bringing in another goalie, but I was told it was nothing to worry about by the majority. Well, here we are.

i also was wondering if they bring in help and was told that if we played 500 for six weeks we still likely are first or second in the division.

no one presumed we would be this bad and Im not convinced we have even seen the worst of it yet. i suspect it is going to get worse and then we can go back to tying our hopes for success to the carey price cart. will that be enough ? who knows?

Koivu_habs#1

Aug 3, 2006
Aylmer, PQ
Can someone please explain this to me please?
Eller 17:48 (1:51PP and 1:28 PK)
DD 17:29 TOI (2 :57 PP and 0 :07 PK)
Byron 17:26 TOI (2 :08 PK)
Pacioretty 16 :49 TOI (3 :36 PP and 0 :03 PK.)
Fleischman 16:42 TOI (0:29 TOI and 1:23 PK)
Weise 16:11 TOI (2:09 PP)
Chucky 15:03 TOI (2:10 PP)
McCarron 5:58 (If you’re not going to play him send him back)

Why isn’t Patches playing more on the PK? He plays well with Pleky
How can DD, Byron, Fleischman and Weise get MORE ice time than Chucky?

DD was -3 last night and will probably still be playing on the 1st line tonight. While watching DD on the ice last night, the only thing I could see is him on his ass.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Sure, it's probably a bit of both...but last night, they needed to not allow that first goal. I'm not necessarily putting ALL the blame on the goalies, but the Habs aren't scoring goals right now

They need their goalie to steal them a game...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Sure, it's probably a bit of both...but last night, they needed to not allow that first goal. I'm not necessarily putting ALL the blame on the goalies, but the Habs aren't scoring goals right now

They need their goalie to steal them a game...

just like the goalies need to get the W even after allowing 3 or 4 or even 5.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Can someone please explain this to me please?
Eller 17:48 (1:51PP and 1:28 PK)
DD 17:29 TOI (2 :57 PP and 0 :07 PK)
Byron 17:26 TOI (2 :08 PK)
Pacioretty 16 :49 TOI (3 :36 PP and 0 :03 PK.)
Fleischman 16:42 TOI (0:29 TOI and 1:23 PK)
Weise 16:11 TOI (2:09 PP)
Chucky 15:03 TOI (2:10 PP)
McCarron 5:58 (If you’re not going to play him send him back)

Why isn’t Patches playing more on the PK? He plays well with Pleky
How can DD, Byron, Fleischman and Weise get MORE ice time than Chucky?

DD was -3 last night and will probably still be playing on the 1st line tonight. While watching DD on the ice last night, the only thing I could see is him on his ass.

Worst part about big Mac's usage... His last shift (or at least last time I noticed him on the ice), he took the puck hard to net, dman contact led to him crashing into rinne.

No penalty, praise from commentators, suprisingly no/little response from preds dmen (if Gally had done the same, he'd have had all 5 preds face washing & jabbing him post whistle)...

EXACTLY what we needed more of last night, what this team needs in general, what Big Mac needs to do to be an impact NHLer.

Kid does just what he's supposed to, & MT rewards him by gluing him to the bench, in a blowout loss.

Just plain stupid.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm in a bad mood...
Was it just me or did anyone else want to punch Laviolette in the mouth when he challenged Carr's goal.

He was protecting his goalies shutout. It was the right thing to do. The call was overturned, too. It was a great move by Laviolette.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Why would we call up McCarron only to have him sit on the bench for 54+ minutes? A big body that is producing in the AHL as a center and you promote him and play him 5 minutes on the 4th line? Is that a normal thing for most NHL teams to do? Tinordi has been sitting for 3 months and obviously not in our plans and could be part of a trade but sits for 30+ games and no one sees him play. Do most teams do that? The mismanagement does not stop at Therrien, not to mention Prust for Kassian, and then there's Semin and a PTO guy and a wavier wire pickup getting top line minutes. It was only going to be held together by Price once the inevitable dry up of scoring occurred. As much hope as we had, with the roster we have it is no fluke what is happening now. Steve Ott was right.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Why would we call up McCarron only to have him sit on the bench for 54+ minutes? A big body that is producing in the AHL as a center and you promote him and play him 5 minutes on the 4th line? Is that a normal thing for most NHL teams to do? Tinordi has been sitting for 3 months and obviously not in our plans and could be part of a trade but sits for 30+ games and no one sees him play. Do most teams do that? The mismanagement does not stop at Therrien, not to mention Prust for Kassian, and then there's Semin and a PTO guy and a wavier wire pickup getting top line minutes. It was only going to be held together by Price once the inevitable dry up of scoring occurred. As much hope as we had, with the roster we have it is no fluke what is happening now. Steve Ott was right.

It is a transition year :help:

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
MB should be so proud of the 4th liners he has,

as well as how DD becomes a #1 to bring the best out in the captain,

what a joke

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Regarding Pacs icetime coach was definitely sending him a message...
He skipped him completely on one of our PP's
I'm surprised we haven't discussed the PP more.
WTF was he doing trying DD and Patch on the point?
One has no shot and the other isn't a great passer...

Oshawa General

Jul 18, 2005

You are so right on the mark, I guess you could say the honeymoon period for MB is pretty well over, the red flags started to appear after his failures this past summer

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
If all this mess can serve a purpose (besides having Therrien canned), it's that Dutch Gretzky is a 3rd liner at best and so is DD. So they should have third line minutes and next to no PP time. I'm not a Therrien hater but he needs to go. His misuse of Chucky and well most of the players for that matter has to stop and the only way to stop it is to can him. I mean, chucky still has some work to do to become the player everyone expects or hope he will become but he won't get there under Therrien.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal

Well, I have nothing to say against what you said about McCarron and Tinordi, I totally agree... but:

Prust vs Kassian: There were rumor about Prust being a negative factor in the locker room, and we all know that our success are based on the ''team spirit'' and Price... Also, his body isn't what it was and he was becoming useless. Kassian was a gamble... An organization has to take chances like that.

What can we say about the other gamble? Semin had his chance, and now he's gone. He hasn't cost anything in term of asset and almost nothing moneywise.

Fleischmann is doing just well. I don't really care about the PTO thing. He's a great addition.

Same thing for Byron. Flames fans were angry about losing him and we can see why. He's creating a lot of opportunities in the forecheck with his speed and gritty play. He's definately not a top6 forward but he deserves every minutes he's getting in the circumstances.

People who have to be pointed out: Pacioretty, Plekanec, Desharnais, Subban and obviously Therrien.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The game comes down to two things...

1-the Habs best players are not carrying their weight(Markov Subban Pacioretty Plekanec Desharnais Galchenyuk Flesischmann Eller). This is not new, they have all been poor for 3 weeks.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/stats/_/name/mtl/split/44/montreal-canadiens

2-Tokarski is NOT an NHL goalie. Looks like MB dropped the ball by not picking up/trading for Khudobin last week. He would be a huge upgrade and lessen the load on Condon also. Khudobin is a career 2.42 and .918, most of it on a ****** Carolina team.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
If all this mess can serve a purpose (besides having Therrien canned), it's that Dutch Gretzky is a 3rd liner at best and so is DD. So they should have third line minutes and next to no PP time. I'm not a Therrien hater but he needs to go. His misuse of Chucky and well most of the players for that matter has to stop and the only way to stop it is to can him. I mean, chucky still has some work to do to become the player everyone expects or hope he will become but he won't get there under Therrien.

How is Chuck Galchenyuk being misused?

He's transitioning to center, you suggest hanging him out there to dry against top lines? He's playing sheltered minutes, mostly against 3rd and 4th lines and getting offensive zone starts. Plus he's getting quality PP time. That's exactly how he should be used.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Yeup... This is a problem.
Galchenyuk could play less than DD/Weise on a given game, but not every damn single game.

Also, I got the same avatar as yours for about 3 years, so I'm always a bit mixed up whenever I see your posts :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad