Confirmed with Link: Habs farm team moving to Laval for 2017-18 season

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Rocket singular makes sense. Homage to the Rocket and I guess the team can technically be onboard some kind of propelled rocket. It's also a verb. I mean Rapides and Rocket essentially mean the same thing but at least Rocket has historical significance from a hockey perspective.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Rocket singular makes sense. Homage to the Rocket and I guess the team can technically be onboard some kind of propelled rocket. It's also a verb. I mean Rapides and Rocket essentially mean the same thing but at least Rocket has historical significance from a hockey perspective.

Is Maurice Richard from Laval or something? Why would they honor the Rocket when a player that had (arguably) a better career, Mario Lemieux, actually played in Laval and has a connection to the city.

They proposed as a name The Laval 66s, I thought that was a pretty cool and original name. There's also some history with numbers team name with the SF 49's and the 76ers, etc. Rocket is basically a name teenagers use to nickname their custom video game team... Come on. It's lame, cliche and overused.

Otherwise, I think Patriots and Rapids are alright. But I would have gone with the 66's or perhaps even the Titan as an hommage to the popular Q team.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Is Maurice Richard from Laval or what? Why would they honor the Rocket when a player that had (arguably) a better career, Mario Lemieux, actually played in Laval and has a connection to the city.

They proposed as a name The Laval 66s, I thought that was a pretty cool and original name. There's also some history with numbers team name with the SF 49's and the 76ers, etc. Rocket is basically a name teenagers use to nickname their custom video game team... Come on. It's lame, cliche and overused.

Otherwise, I think Patriots and Rapids are alright. But I would have gone with the 66's.

Because it's a farm team of the Habs, that's why they can choose Rocket. Who cares about Lemieux? He didn't play for the Canadiens. Mario isn't even from Laval either, he just happened to play there for three years on a now defunct team.

Maybe the Oshawa Generals should rename their team to the Oshawa Orrs?

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
I hate the name Rocket/Rockets but it's definitely more appropriate to Montreal/Laval and the Canadiens than 66's

Titans was better
But I still think it should have been Laval Canadiens

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Le Rocket de Laval & Laval Rocket sounds good to me. It has a meaning that is significant to the Canadiens franchise.

I don't want Patriotes or Patriots (in English) because everyone associates that name with the New England Patriots. So no thank you to that one.

Rapids doesn't intrigue me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad