News Article: Habs fans need to chill

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
"Chill bro, i got this" - MT

"Take chill pill bro, dump dat sheet in the corner" - MT

I was wondering when it was that MT spoke as above. And then remembered this ...

BZe9rnvCMAAFdJB.jpg:large

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
I've been chilling for some time now and other posters in my age range (I know I'm not alone) might relate. No one expects a team to win the cup year in year out, but this is getting tiresome. I've put my trust in so many GMs and coaches that I'm having a hard time believing anything good will happen short term. Most of the important pieces are there, but there's always missing parts that would make us a dangerous team, including good coaching. Always. I'm still gonna give MB some time because: he's new, today's cap issues make things difficult to happen and 29 other teams are looking for the same things. I'm not asking for a cup next year (that would be insane), but I have the right to expect major improvements in the next 2 years.

I don't get much satisfaction seeing us win by one goal or in OT/SO. I haven't seen a really dominant Habs team since the late 70s, early 80s. That's about 35 years of waiting.

The really sad thing about the state of the team right now is the indifference I see around me. Almost all people I know that are fans aren't even mad right now, they're just indifferent. Indifference means you've given up and don't care anymore.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
McCarron was a horrible pick. Most of those guys, including Mccarron, will likely never make an impact at the NHL level, and if they do, it will be on the bottom 2 lines. We need a combination of size and skill, and only Galchenyuk brings that.

You may be right when all is said and done, however, where we now stand, barely a few months after the draft, is it not too early to tell?

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Hate this mindset. We've been patient and waiting for too damn long and there is real potential with this roster.

This team should not be "rebuilding", our stars (Subban, Price, Pacioretty) are all in their primes. Goal scorers peak at 24-26. Subban won't be young forever and a big part of his game is the athleticism. We can't just wait here and sit around until Beaulieu and Tinordi are ready, because by the time they're good to go then Plekanec and Markov will be done. This isn't an all in year but it's not one to piss away like we're doing now.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Relax Habs fans, we're only 3 points behind the Bruins and the Atlantic Division lead! Habs fans need to chill

If your goal is for the Habs to finish 3rd in the East this season, you are having a banner successful season.

However, if your goal is to compete for a Cup, the coaching staff has this team grossly under-prepared.

Its all perspective regarding "chill". If we were in the West, we would not be qualifying for the playoffs.

Mediocrity rules in Montreal and it has become the new norm so the **** sandwiches our coaching staff feeds us are expected and tolerated.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Well I think complacency is the one of the main ingredients for a failure cake.
This 3rd place means nothing unless you can keep it. And the way they play now, and since at least 20 games doesnt indicate good things at all.

But we're calm and it's just a game and as soon as I finish this post im gonna eat a big bowl of cherrios and bang my fiancee.

But truth is, the way this team play is awful.

I am doing things backwards.

I had a nooner then ate a really good roast beef sandwich.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
While it is nice that we are third in the division, it isn't so nice how poor the quality of play has been for upwards of a month now. I understand we often have bad Decembers, but this is worrying for me. I'm really not happy with the lack of intensity and lack of chemistry that was displayed for most of the past month.

Athletique_Canadien

Dec 13, 2005
Halifax, NS
I love how the "Glass Half Full" posters argue back & forth with the "Glass Half Empty" posters until we get to 2,000 posts. As if anyone will sway anyone else. See pic:

duty_calls.png

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Relax Habs fans, we're only 3 points behind the Bruins and the Atlantic Division lead! Habs fans need to chill

Seems to me the Habs are a pretty fragile team lacking in leadership. Briere is a great leader but not much of a player anymore so that doesn't work. Subban is their best on-ice leader and their best player - and he just can't do what he did that got him benched. Not saying he lost them the game but it was a stupid, selfish thing to do. The worst part is that punches Couturier while the refs have everybody wrapped up. I'm not saying he's afraid to fight Couturier or mix it up or whatever - it's just a punk move. I won't call him a punk but he does need to mature. And his comments after the game are crap - he doesn't mean it.

I'm a Habs fan and have always been one - but I don't like this team and have no confidence in Therien or their lineup. Subban has the talent to be the cornerstone of a contender but needs be a smarter player. He could even stay stupid if management would put some of the right kinds of guys around him.

I'm not calling the Habs soft because their smaller guys do play in the hard areas - but I just don't think they have the commitment level necessary to win 2 rounds or more.

Last edited:

Feintastic

Jun 22, 2013
Lol perso I dont care about the season... haha...they can finish 1st overall in the league if they want but at the end of the day we all know they dont have a good team for the playoff. We should trade players with good value like Markov(for example) to prepare the future instead of keep going to war years after years with water guns.

It's not negativism its being realistic, the habs have no chance to win 2 rounds cause they're a mediocre playoff teamm, get it ?

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
Habs have been playing like crap and their position in the standing is an illusion. Anybody who watched the games for the last couple months have seen how bad they are. Aside from patches, subban and price, this team has nothing to offer. Buffalo or calgary with Price in the net would be in a playoff spot right now. Jacques Martin habs were more entertaining.

And we've been told to be patient since the early gainey era...

Feintastic

Jun 22, 2013
I just feel like people must be stupid or some...

They're selling a dream to the fans EVERY YEAR with this average team... Im like ''Wtf ? Some fans really think we're equipped to win the battles in the playoff ?!! like seriously...?? lol ''

Lmao... The fans will continue to buy all the tickets at Bell Centre, 10.. ehh 11$ per beer and Molson is laughin out loud with his smurf team makin millions no matter what. It's easy to know before the season begins that they will lose in the 1st or 2nd round even they earn a playoff spot. Subban is nice, Price too, Plekanec, Pacioretty...etc.. its aight but far from enough.

Last edited:

Feintastic

Jun 22, 2013
I've been chilling for some time now and other posters in my age range (I know I'm not alone) might relate. No one expects a team to win the cup year in year out, but this is getting tiresome. I've put my trust in so many GMs and coaches that I'm having a hard time believing anything good will happen short term. Most of the important pieces are there, but there's always missing parts that would make us a dangerous team, including good coaching. Always. I'm still gonna give MB some time because: he's new, today's cap issues make things difficult to happen and 29 other teams are looking for the same things. I'm not asking for a cup next year (that would be insane), but I have the right to expect major improvements in the next 2 years.

I don't get much satisfaction seeing us win by one goal or in OT/SO. I haven't seen a really dominant Habs team since the late 70s, early 80s. That's about 35 years of waiting.

The really sad thing about the state of the team right now is the indifference I see around me. Almost all people I know that are fans aren't even mad right now, they're just indifferent. Indifference means you've given up and don't care anymore.

Yeah that's why its so funny to hear everytime people say something like ''habs fans need to chill''

man... they're mediocre since the early 90's... we're in 2014 ******...and we're not patient enough lol ????!!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You may be right when all is said and done, however, where we now stand, barely a few months after the draft, is it not too early to tell?

I don't think so.
I think it's fair to say McCarron will not be an impact player. I mean, you never know, he might have a development curve that will see his skills skyrocket as he gets older and closer to the NHL. But that would be a surprise.
He's more pegged to become a 3rd liner than an impact top liner.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Chill?!

They've been playing mediocre to bad since the first twenty games.

The time to chill has passed.

They have to pick it up.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
IF you guys want to look at this from another perspective, all that's really left to do is to chill.

Simple explanation: We've got Pittsburgh in the East, with the likes of Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, Letang, Martin... That's solid. IF MAF gets his **** together, that team is a contender.

We've got the Bruins, who are built for the playoffs. In the offseason, they went and forgave Iginla, who snubbed them and chose Pittsburgh over them for the playoffs. That's a bold move by the GM and they're first in the Atlantic.

In the West, there's Chicago, who's way above us in terms of skill and game play. There's St. Louis, Los Angeles, San Jose, Anaheim...

Realistically, you look at their squads and their built, and then you look at ours, and I can understand why some are becoming indifferent. This team does not ****ing suck enough to draft top picks, and it just ain't good enough to contend. **** it, why suffer from this mediocrity? We probably are better off if we just take it easy and enjoy the season.

So, let's just chill guys and every year go through the same **** over and over again.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Indeed, it's hard to "just chill" when we've been trying to push the envelope to contend for 20 years now. I'm not going to pretend like I was around for the first 10, but I have been since 2002. When are we ever going to take that step up from mediocrity? I'm not confident it's going to happen any time soon. Granted it's better than being a joke franchise like the Oilers, but at a certain point it doesn't matter anymore. Contention is boolean. Either you contend or you don't.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think so.
I think it's fair to say McCarron will not be an impact player. I mean, you never know, he might have a development curve that will see his skills skyrocket as he gets older and closer to the NHL. But that would be a surprise.
He's more pegged to become a 3rd liner than an impact top liner.

The original comment stated that "most of those guys" -- basically from the 2013 draft would be busts or bottom pairing at best.

The development curve in the minors for big-bodied players can be more than 3 years. What's your assessment based upon -- that McCarron didn't make the US Junior Team, that he's seen 3rd line duty or that he hasn't come out like gangbusters as he's adapting to a new league? What about DeLaRose? Not saying they're all going to be top players but why don't we wait it out a little longer on these guys. Nobody can say with certainty today that none of them are guys are going to pan out or be just bottom pairing players.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
We do have some very good, essential pieces you need in order to build a contending team. An elite goalie (yes, he is elite. Debate officially over.) in Price, Norris winning D in Subban, and a projected franchise forward in Galchenyuk. And like the article mentioned, we do have some good prospects and some decent D depth. The problem with this team how it is are some of the vets we have. A lot of them are either over the hill and their best days are behind them, or they are injury prone and way too inconsistent.

I believe if Bergevin would have made the right hockey decision rather than the hometown "feel good" decision and signed Jagr to a 1 year, stop-gap deal instead of Briere, the make-up of this team would be a lot different. We would have another consistent veteran scoring threat up front and wouldn't seem as small as we are. But that didn't happen, and look where we are now.

Jagr is an HOFer with plenty of gas in the tank.

An insane work ethic for the rookies to learn from.

An entertaining legend for the fans to cheer.

WIN WIN

MB missed the boat, BIG TIME. :shakehead

MoobMoob

EntertainingasanSTD
Jun 11, 2011
Valhalla
Didn't read through the whole thread, so maybe this has been covered.

The problem isn't with the team as it is now. It's that every move that's been made so far hasn't made the team stronger for the future or now. Signing Briere when you've already got a team full of smallish forwards just reeks of no identity. We've been dealing with a mediocre team thats highest hope is to make the playoffs for too long now, and we're sick of it.

The argument to tank is also bs, since it only works if you happen to suck the years that amazing talent is available and happen to luck into that top talent. Teams like LA and BOS built their teams without having to drop in the standings considerably by having a clear identity for a competitive team without relying on exceptional talent. With Galchenyuk, Subban and Price this team has the makings of a winner if they make the right moves to populate the rest of the roster and have a clear identity. I just don't have confidence that the management team in place will make those moves.

Instead we'll be told to swallow this mediocrity and "chill out" when we demand more.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Personaly I won't be happy till we get back to the style of play we were doing last year. It's unreal why we cannot keep playing like this cause it was working so damn well. It was most exciting I had ever seen the Habs play. And when I say ever, it's ever, cause the Habs always have had defensive-minded coachs. Last year, it was puck-possession, very agressive on the forecheck, putting pressure so the other teams could not get out of their zone. The Ds also were quick to get out the puck of our zone. So much so that the D squad was having an easy time and Price was almost getting no shots. Notice that in the playoffs, Therrien went for a more defensive style and it was more difficult?

Cause when we don't play in a more offensive style, it's like this year where it's a crap shoot, we play terribly and sometime we manage a win cause of Price and Max having one of his good nights. I don't even understand why we're third, it's unreal.

GSalty

Dec 30, 2013
I couldn't agree more. I'm disappointed in my fellow Habs fans. No other team has as ludicrous a success:complaining fans ratio as Montreal does. Jesus Christ, we're firmly in a playoff spot and 5-3-2 in our last ten games and the ******* sky is falling. Calm down.

Our game day threads are absurd. Page after page after page after page of pointing out every mistake, no matter how minor, made by every player who isn't Price, Eller, or (especially) Subban - Gionta, Boullion, and (especially) Deharnais, in particular, who for some presumably (almost obviously) unfair or ridiculous reason have drawn the worst of the Habs fans' ire. Two weeks ago people were seriously complaining about - making new threads entirely for this purpose - Deharnais producing. I guess we should've traded Subban after his night in Dallas too, huh?

You know these fans are the same ones who were rambling on about what a flop Carey Price had turned out to be a few years ago, too. I remember the tears when Halak was traded. Where are they now? Maybe a bit of patience would've done every one a little good then, no?

Every time something doesn't go the Habs' way, everyone completely loses it. They call for heads to roll. If it were up to Habs fans, Canadiens GMs would lose their jobs every time the team lost a game, and coaches would be fired during games. A lot of good all those coaching changes have done for the Habs over the last ten or so seasons, hm?

These bizarre conspiracy theories about turmoil in the dressing room are driving me crazy, too. No one in the media or the public knows whats going on behind closed doors and, no, you can't see it on the ice. Has anyone stopped to consider that maybe the Habs are just going through a slump? That that's all there is to it? Simple as that? Because, you know, it's not like even good teams go through them, right?

This is too much. I can understand wanting to have a winning team, but seriously, think carefully about what you're asking for. The Habs can't become a Cup contender over the off-season, let alone overnight, and no amount of impatience or tears are going to change that. The Habs were not and are not expected to win the Stanley Cup this season. Accept that, at the very least, for your own comfort. If you don't want to be patient, you're only going to upset yourself. There's nothing else for you to do - except, you know, maybe actually support the team like a real fan would.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I couldn't agree more. I'm disappointed in my fellow Habs fans. No other team has as ludicrous a success:complaining fans ratio as Montreal does. Jesus Christ, we're firmly in a playoff spot and 5-3-2 in our last ten games and the ******* sky is falling. Calm down.

Our game day threads are absurd. Page after page after page after page of pointing out every mistake, no matter how minor, made by every player who isn't Price, Eller, or (especially) Subban - Gionta, Boullion, and (especially) Deharnais, in particular, who for some presumably (almost obviously) unfair or ridiculous reason have drawn the worst of the Habs fans' ire. Two weeks ago people were seriously complaining about - making new threads entirely for this purpose - Deharnais producing. I guess we should've traded Subban after his night in Dallas too, huh?

You know these fans are the same ones who were rambling on about what a flop Carey Price had turned out to be a few years ago, too. I remember the tears when Halak was traded. Where are they now? Maybe a bit of patience would've done every one a little good then, no?

Every time something doesn't go the Habs' way, everyone completely loses it. They call for heads to roll. If it were up to Habs fans, Canadiens GMs would lose their jobs every time the team lost a game, and coaches would be fired during games. A lot of good all those coaching changes have done for the Habs over the last ten or so seasons, hm?

These bizarre conspiracy theories about turmoil in the dressing room are driving me crazy, too. No one in the media or the public knows whats going on behind closed doors and, no, you can't see it on the ice. Has anyone stopped to consider that maybe the Habs are just going through a slump? That that's all there is to it? Simple as that? Because, you know, it's not like even good teams go through them, right?

This is too much. I can understand wanting to have a winning team, but seriously, think carefully about what you're asking for. The Habs can't become a Cup contender over the off-season, let alone overnight, and no amount of impatience or tears are going to change that. The Habs were not and are not expected to win the Stanley Cup this season. Accept that, at the very least, for your own comfort. If you don't want to be patient, you're only going to upset yourself. There's nothing else for you to do - except, you know, maybe actually support the team like a real fan would.

:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad