News Article: Habs fans need to chill

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
If this team was in the western conference we would barely make playoffs and even as is trending as we are , I'm not too sure we make playoffs.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Houle, Savard, Gainey, Gauthier then Bergevin. We keep starting over all the time. The results are the same, and so are the methods to obtain those results. So I figure if they can keep using the same excuses, the same crappy methods, then I'm aloud to complain. After all, it is my money they are trying to get isn't it.

If you're going to complain, might as well be loud. :)

Bergevin is more like Gauthier in that he's done scouting as he's moved up the Hawks' organizational chart. The others got the jobs for a variety of reasons but a lot of them had to do with establishing and favoring a tradition of ex-Habs in management.

Bergevin had first-hand access to the Hawks' blueprint but replicating it in Montreal is a whole other ball of wax since some of our shortcomings are institutionalized. I liked his stated approach when he got the job and was not expecting any results at this point in his tenure, so am not disappointed that way. However, for a contingent that is supposed to be better equipped to handle player procurement, several of their moves are not exactly convincing.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
What a horribly written article.

I still don't see how Gauthier was so terrible in comparison to Gainey or Bergevin to this point.

Gauthier would have selected a good player at #3 too - and likely Galchenyuk after hearing Timmins talk about him.

That's the only great move Bergevin has done so far.

His Desharnais contract was too soon. I think Desharnais is a big part of the team going forward, but he could have been had a lot cheaper had he just waited. As for the Emelin contract? I don't even know. That was one of the worst contracts I've ever seen given out. Maybe he earns it, but who the hell gives out a contract after a guy has been out that long and been in the league for basically a week? Briere... well I just don't get that decision still. Adding another small guy to our lineup made no sense.

Gauthier made a lot of minor moves that didn't really do anything.

All the significant trades he made didn't really do anything, except the awesome acquisition of Wiz.

I'm still a fan of the Cammalleri trade. And I was a huge Cammy fan. But the assets we've got back are awesome (Bourque is meh - sometimes great, sometimes bad, but I've loved the Holland and Fucale picks). We turned Hal Gill into Dalton Thrower and then turned Andrei Kostitsyn into Jacob de la Rose. Yes, I realize those are combining both GMs moves, but I have trust in Timmins to get his guys anyway.

Bergevin has done a lot of sitting on his fingers, after acquiring a solid team and signed some horrible contracts. Oh, and the horrible buyout of Tomas Kaberle. How is Gauthier a sack of potatoes GM and Bergevin a good one? Bergy has done nothing to impress me except wear cool suits.

PS. This isn't a post to say I would have kept Gauthier. Just don't get how Bergevin has earned a better rep.

Well he was on the path to trading PK Subban.......if he was still here? Ya.
Subban might have been sold to not the highest bidder either..lol
His way was not to try to offer players to all teams..lol 27-28 nhl teams might never known Pk Subban was avail for trade..until after the deal was done.
Imagine that new 24CH show with Pierre Gauthier and Martin starring in it.:)
Ha..

Last edited:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
If this team was in the western conference we would barely make playoffs and even as is trending as we are , I'm not too sure we make playoffs.

They would not survive......like the Jets.

They would be a playoff team in the east this year tho.....

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
I agree with OP but this forum is there for the free of speech of all fans. When it gets over the top for myself like the Subban, Therrien, Bergevin situation I just avoid the forum for a bit and only come by for game days or when they are actual news.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
They would not survive......like the Jets.

They would be a playoff team in the east this year tho.....

As I said trending as we are (.500 hockey) we will not make playoffs...I won't buy the pace argument , this team doesn't deserve playoffs in my opinion.

habitue*

Yes, ignoring the teams that aspire to win we ought to just chill. Because the point of hockey is to just exist and not try to win. And to waste another year of my life.

This kind of thinking is toxic.

Your life really depends on it ?

Athletique_Canadien

Dec 13, 2005
Halifax, NS
20 years and counting.
I hear you loud & clear Whitesnake but the reason I agree with the article is because it's pointing out we should be patient with Bergevin - who has nothing to do with the 18 & 1/2 years of struggling we have incurred before his arrival. I think the article should underscore that we should be patient with Bergevin & drive this home.

My patience for glory after 1993 ran out a long long time ago too but I am trying to be patient with Bergevin. Being the youngest of 5 brothers (All Habs fan family) gives me an interesting perspective on our history. It's cool that I have older brothers who point out things to me I had never considered. The 2nd oldest told me once that it's very difficult for us because no one wants to help the Habs & he's got a point. To what degree is debatable but there is something to this. If by chance the Leafs could give us a major piece to help us to improve ourselves & over the long term help the Leafs & we won a cup as a result, how many Leaf fans would want to lower the toaster into the bathtub. They'd be furious & it's debatable that more than any other team in the NHL an opposing fanbase would freak if their club gave us that shot in the arm we so desperately need.

I wish things could go faster but to get Brian Bickle out of Chicago or a player of his caliber would require a kings ransom which would likely solve nothing.

For me, to avoid selling the farm & give us an extra element I'd like to see a Matt Moulson type of caliber player brought in to see if that would help us to get over that elusive hump in 2014

Athletique_Canadien

Dec 13, 2005
Halifax, NS
We shouldn't take the article out of context & perhaps the writer should be scolded for not being clear on one point. That is, Habs fans need to chill out regarding our record over the "last 3 weeks" & leave it at that.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
What a horribly written article.

I still don't see how Gauthier was so terrible in comparison to Gainey or Bergevin to this point.

Gauthier would have selected a good player at #3 too - and likely Galchenyuk after hearing Timmins talk about him.

That's the only great move Bergevin has done so far.

His Desharnais contract was too soon. I think Desharnais is a big part of the team going forward, but he could have been had a lot cheaper had he just waited. As for the Emelin contract? I don't even know. That was one of the worst contracts I've ever seen given out. Maybe he earns it, but who the hell gives out a contract after a guy has been out that long and been in the league for basically a week? Briere... well I just don't get that decision still. Adding another small guy to our lineup made no sense.

Gauthier made a lot of minor moves that didn't really do anything.

All the significant trades he made didn't really do anything, except the awesome acquisition of Wiz.

I'm still a fan of the Cammalleri trade. And I was a huge Cammy fan. But the assets we've got back are awesome (Bourque is meh - sometimes great, sometimes bad, but I've loved the Holland and Fucale picks). We turned Hal Gill into Dalton Thrower and then turned Andrei Kostitsyn into Jacob de la Rose. Yes, I realize those are combining both GMs moves, but I have trust in Timmins to get his guys anyway.

Bergevin has done a lot of sitting on his fingers, after acquiring a solid team and signed some horrible contracts. Oh, and the horrible buyout of Tomas Kaberle. How is Gauthier a sack of potatoes GM and Bergevin a good one? Bergy has done nothing to impress me except wear cool suits.

PS. This isn't a post to say I would have kept Gauthier. Just don't get how Bergevin has earned a better rep.

Prust
Cole/Ryder swap
Pacioretty contract

were also good moves by Bergevin

Athletique_Canadien

Dec 13, 2005
Halifax, NS
Prust
Cole/Ryder swap
Pacioretty contract

were also good moves by Bergevin
And as the article points out:

Alex Galchenyuk, Dalton Thrower, Mike McCarron, Jacob de la Rosa, Tim Bozon, Brady Vail, Connor Crisp all exceeding 6” tall.
Our size issue is a huge concern most of the fan base has been screaming about. Bergevin does the right thing on this front & still it's not good enough for a guy who has been GM for a mere 20 months. You can't fix the mess in 20 months. This sort of reminds me of Gainey when he acquired Tanguay & Laraque & drafted Leblanc & previously drafted Latendresse. Still, the French media still grilled him for not doing enough or anything to improve the French quotient on the team. To me this is inpatience. It's not that fair a comparison since one issue is coming from the fans & the other came from the media but at the end of the day it's still in the same spirit. The glass always seems to be half empty regardless of positives

rafal majka

Sep 29, 2004
Another sycophantic fluff piece.

The Habs possession numbers are in free-fall, Therrien has the team playing dump-and-chase, and Bergevin's brain trust thought Murray was a decent player.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
To go back to my staff rant, why is Dudley on this team ? Isn't he the one that ran the already bad Atlanta franchise to the ground ?

Not really. He improved the Thrashers before they wanted a fresh start in Winnipeg. He was only there for a year. He did however construct most of the 04 cup winning Lightning.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
From no excuses, to let's chill with MB & Co.

"Coach, what about pulling the goalie, we're down by 2" - Team

"Chill bro, i got this" - MT

"Take chill pill bro, dump dat sheet in the corner" - MT

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Habs fans in general are insane, and when you come to a place like hf where most people are nowhere near the average fan, carry grudges and agendas, and you get this place, which is not representing Habs fans or fan in general.

Some people need to get a life it seems

Athletique_Canadien

Dec 13, 2005
Halifax, NS
I'm not saying MB is perfect by any means & I'm definitely not happy or patient with MT but at least we don't have a GM who sends an 18th overall Joe Colbourne to Calgary for a 4th rounder in return merely to get under the cap to then enable Franson to get signed. As it turns out that particular fan base is debating whether or not Cody Franson should be re-upped. Now THAT`S BAD! :laugh:

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
And as the article points out:

Our size issue is a huge concern most of the fan base has been screaming about. Bergevin does the right thing on this front & still it's not good enough for a guy who has been GM for a mere 20 months. You can't fix the mess in 20 months. This sort of reminds me of Gainey when he acquired Tanguay & Laraque & drafted Leblanc & previously drafted Latendresse. Still, the French media still grilled him for not doing enough or anything to improve the French quotient on the team. To me this is inpatience. It's not that fair a comparison since one issue is coming from the fans & the other came from the media but at the end of the day it's still in the same spirit. The glass always seems to be half empty regardless of positives

McCarron was a horrible pick. Most of those guys, including Mccarron, will likely never make an impact at the NHL level, and if they do, it will be on the bottom 2 lines. We need a combination of size and skill, and only Galchenyuk brings that.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
How much longer do I have to be patient? I feel like the organization has preached this for very long time.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Another sycophantic fluff piece.

The Habs possession numbers are in free-fall, Therrien has the team playing dump-and-chase, and Bergevin's brain trust thought Murray was a decent player.

This is it.

The results have been alright this year so far this year in the standings, but the processes on the ice and in the front office have been awful. The hope would be to turn things around before imploding like the Leafs, not sit around doing the same thing pretending its fine and getting ready to act like nobody could have foreseen there would be problems.

The lineup is good enough and the East sucks so much that they shouldn't be scrapping by on Price and Subban's heroics.

Pricef*

Habs fans in general are insane, and when you come to a place like hf where most people are nowhere near the average fan, carry grudges and agendas, and you get this place, which is not representing Habs fans or fan in general.

Some people need to get a life it seems

Well said.:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad