News Article: Habs fans need to chill

Halifaxhab*

agreed. But the team has played inconsistently.....and lately....like crap. They need to pull their crud together and start playing consistently.

That's my beef.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
The patience. Patience? Habs fans don’t know what patience is. The team overachieved and now you want more.

That's some cocky remarks here. I've been following this team for more then a decade and the 2009-2010 version under Jacques Martin is the furthest I've seen them go in the playoffs. Yet, the 2009-2010 team was still a ''bubble team'', never meant to win anything in the end. I've been told to be patient each and every year because of bad management of the past.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...I really hate the "let's ease up & settle for just OK" mentality we have...is the sky falling??...of course not...the Habs do, however, have many areas where we need to improve before we can truly call our team contenders...we may overreact, but it shows passion, which is what we need...that, and a new coach...:laugh:

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
We do have some very good, essential pieces you need in order to build a contending team. An elite goalie (yes, he is elite. Debate officially over.) in Price, Norris winning D in Subban, and a projected franchise forward in Galchenyuk. And like the article mentioned, we do have some good prospects and some decent D depth. The problem with this team how it is are some of the vets we have. A lot of them are either over the hill and their best days are behind them, or they are injury prone and way too inconsistent.

I believe if Bergevin would have made the right hockey decision rather than the hometown "feel good" decision and signed Jagr to a 1 year, stop-gap deal instead of Briere, the make-up of this team would be a lot different. We would have another consistent veteran scoring threat up front and wouldn't seem as small as we are. But that didn't happen, and look where we are now.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
We do have some very good, essential pieces you need in order to build a contending team. An elite goalie (yes, he is elite. Debate officially over.) in Price, Norris winning D in Subban, and a projected franchise forward in Galchenyuk. And like the article mentioned, we do have some good prospects and some decent D depth. The problem with this team how it is are some of the vets we have. A lot of them are either over the hill and their best days are behind them, or they are injury prone and way too inconsistent.

I believe if Bergevin would have made the right hockey decision rather than the hometown "feel good" decision and signed Jagr to a 1 year, stop-gap deal instead of Briere, the make-up of this team would be a lot different. We would have another consistent veteran scoring threat up front and wouldn't seem as small as we are. But that didn't happen, and look where we are now.

We should called up one of our AHL ALL-Start player:sarcasm:

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Well I think complacency is the one of the main ingredients for a failure cake.
This 3rd place means nothing unless you can keep it. And the way they play now, and since at least 20 games doesnt indicate good things at all.

But we're calm and it's just a game and as soon as I finish this post im gonna eat a big bowl of cherrios and bang my fiancee.

But truth is, the way this team play is awful.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I just want to see the young players make a step forward.. yet then entire philosophy of Therrien is.. beat down Subban, bench Galchenyuk, develop Eller as a defensive center only, reduce Gallagher's role to puck retrieval and play Emelin on his off side.

The only players who get opportunities are the veteran group that are on the decline or on their way out. Not to mention there is no adaptability in the coaching staff, they ignore the obvious and coach for a reality, that simply, does not exist.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I just want to see the young players make a step forward.. yet then entire philosophy of Therrien is.. beat down Subban, bench Galchenyuk, develop Eller as a defensive center only, reduce Gallagher's role to puck retrieval and play Emelin on his off side.

The only players who get opportunities are the veteran group that are on the decline or on their way out. Not to mention there is no adaptability in the coaching staff, they ignore the obvious and coach for a reality, that simply, does not exist.
Bang on. I almost wish we didn't do as well as we did last year simply for the fact that I think it would be a completely different year this year in relying in young guys to do the job. Coaches tend to lean on veteran players for situations because they're more familiar and predictable (and yes, to a fault sometimes like Therrien does). The fact that every game Montreal seems to play is tight or a one goal game means less time for the young guys, which is deterring them.

Rather than accepting that there will be mistakes and growing pains that will help these younger players become more familiar and adapt, Therrien would rather not risk anything at all and sit them on the bench instead.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
=Slashers98;77727921]Relax Habs fans, we're only 3 points behind the Bruins and the Atlantic Division lead! Habs fans need to chill

Ya,remember when Leafs were in first place?
Hab fans who understand what they see,have every right not to chill.
On top of that,what good is first place,when you get creamed or beat in round one???

This reminds me few years ago with Martin, a few of us where saying get rid of Martin NOW,or we're going down....It 's was long before it become popular to say fire Martin.....THEN all i heard was hey chill ,were only 2 points out of the playoff spot,it's November...lol

As i said back then when the Habs where 21 points out of LAST PLACE...I said we'll miss playoffs in Novemeber ,and end up with a top 3 pick..... Alex Galchenyuk is here.

I sit again few years later ,you want to know my feelings?
Mark my words,Habs are not safe in 2014,to me there ready to roll over.
House of straw...Price will cool down,and down she goes bye...
Price is like what happened in Toronto....now there goalies cool off what happened?There exposed for who there really are...

Montreal scoring 2.49 a game 28-29th over place in 5 on 5 scoring,is a recipe for a loser for next 100 years...

We score 2.49 a game on avg,21 out of 45 games we've scored 2 or less goals.
Price save %2.22...no room for Price to cool down...otherwise free falling we go .

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
There was a time when a team like this was totally UNacceptable. How far the standards have fallen. But hey, 21,273 sheep are led into the Bell Center every game so management could care less of the on ice performance. I am blessed to have seen 8 Cups hoisted. I doubt I see another one with this mindset. 18 players in the league 5'9 and under, in the entire league! We have a quarter of them on our team. Will never win four playoff rounds with this type of make up.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
will never happen

most habs fans dont know anything else about hockey outside the habs.

That in sum is the issue.

Look around the east. Besides the pens/bruins, the habs are either better or on par with every other team.

But dont tell them that, they want to complain about MT pulling the goalie in 1 game.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Yes, ignoring the teams that aspire to win we ought to just chill. Because the point of hockey is to just exist and not try to win. And to waste another year of my life.

This kind of thinking is toxic.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Settling for a middle of the pack finish and a quick playoff run.

That's the kind of thinking we want.

"This year our goal is to finish around 2-8 in the east and to at least win a game in the PO"

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Settling for a middle of the pack finish and a quick playoff run.

That's the kind of thinking we want.

"This year our goal is to finish around 2-8 in the east and to at least win a game in the PO"

This isn't just for you. But for all of the whinners on here.

What would you do to make the habs a beast of a team NOW!? (Bonus of hindsight on your side too!)

Mad Habber

Jul 5, 2006
I've been chillin' for 20 years of soap opera-like drama with various combinations of dumb and dumber as coach and GM. Isn't it time I get repaid for all that chillin'. 20 years ought to be long enough to build a contender. If not at least do a proper tank job and start hoarding all the prospects like Pittsburgh, Chicago and Edmonton did and still do.

This alienating your superstar job of Therrien doesn't work. Alienating Patrick Roy didn't do us any good, we got three plugs in return. Same with Lafleur, we got nothing in return from doing that. What are we going to get by continually punishing Subban. We'll get 3 quarters for a dollar if we're lucky.

If Therrien can't figure things out, then he needs to move on and let someone else figure it out for him. If Bergevin can't figure that simple thing out, then he needs to go also. I'm sick and tired of cheering for what is at best a middle of the pack team. An embarrassment to the Serge Savard built teams, never mind Sam Pollock.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This isn't just for you. But for all of the whinners on here.

What would you do to make the habs a beast of a team NOW!? (Bonus of hindsight on your side too!)

For starters I'd hire a real coach ? Then a real GM ?

Besides, it's not my job to build a contending team. My job is to flip burgers and study to hope for a good job, one day. I'm not the one payed millions to talk about hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad