Post-Game Talk: Habs Fall to Dallas, 4-1 -- Scapegoats wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Bad transition last night. Maybe teams are starting to figure them out, but it seems like they didn't proceed with a game of give guys advancing together. We also continue to have trouble with bigger teams.

Tatar, Byron, Lekhonen and Danault are zero + zero = zero. Habs are returning back to Earth, apart from Domi and Gally, we have no real Top 2 lines players. And Domi often seem mixed up playing center in a defensive capacity.

Third goal killed us, the Domi penalty put the nail in the coffin. But I wouldn't blame Domi, it was a bull**** call where both players were going at it. Then the refs made a a joke of things for the rest of the game. It was so disgraceful to see. The penalty Jaime Benn got was pathetic.

what killed us was taking penalties in the neutral and offensive zone and our inability to kill ( or to just kill) the penalties.

By the end of the night I think we had 5 penalties not in the defensive zone. We also sucked in the second and made a game of it on a goal that many ( most perhaps) thought was coming back and then lehkonen turns the puck over 8 feet in front of our net which killed whatever mo we had going ( which was not much to start with).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He’s made far worse hockey-related moves than the Subban one.

*Unnecessary Therrien extension, choosing him over Subban and then firing him months later
*Allowing Plekanec’s value to diminish
*Messed up the center issue by running with Desharnais-Plekanec for years.
*Markov Out, Alzner in
*Radulov walking
*Shaw contract
*Thinking Shaw was more valuable than Eller
*Handcuffed our goalie situation with the Price contract
*Tinordi, Beaulieu and McCarron all 1st round picks whose value went to near zero. A smarter GM would have dressed them up and sold them quickly.
*Sergachev trade.

He should’ve been fired long ago, and one good month doesn’t equal redemption.

point form..

1) We extended Bergevin at the wrong time. He had 1.5 years left on his previous deal. Once we extended him, we were stuck with him for years. Molson was not going to write off millions for a struggling GM and a team that does horrible when we have key injuries to key players. Like it or not, it was not happening

2) Therrien. I agree. I never did like bringing him back as our coach in 2012. I understand his strategy and how it worked with Price in net (defense first approach). It had limited success but MT is not a coach that will lead you to a cup. Ask the Pens

3). Subban for Weber and Sergachev for Drouin. Lateral moves where we got slightly older. Why did we make these moves? That is the real question

4) The 2017 offseason was a disaster but lead us to Kotkaniemi. Planned or not, we improved our future.

5) Eller was a solid asset. DD should of been moved vs Eller. Shaw was a good piece to add but he has not lived up to his play in Chicago. But lets not pretend Eller produced in the opportunity we gave him prior to moving on from him.

6) Tinordi and Beaulieu were solid assets but disappointed. That is not on Bergevin. McCarron is though! All GM's have a list like this.

I support a new GM and a new President. This middle of the pack strategy and Rebound/Pride season is stupid. I don't hate Bergevin, I acknowledge he had a solid 2018 off season but I prefer we play the kids and rest the vets for 2 more years. I think Bergevin half asses this rebuild approach

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
weber decided to not honor a contract that he signed ?

when this this transpire ?
"He screwed the Preds over To chase cash"

He did. I don't blame it for it, but he did.

Not in the same way Radulov did it, but the result is the same. They screwed the Preds for money. Happens all the time. Somehow Radulov is a mercenary for it and Weber is an elite leader, whatever that means.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

Not in the same way Radulov did it, but the result is the same. They screwed the Preds for money. Happens all the time. Somehow Radulov is a mercenary for it and Weber is an elite leader, whatever that means.
Are you arguing that signing an offer sheet ( which was one hundred percent permissible) is the same as someone, UNDER CONTRACT deciding to not honor the contract are equivalent?

I'm no analyst but your inability to distinguish those two scenarios, that right there might be your problem.

You are either a man of your word or you are not. Weber is. Radulov, not so much.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Are you arguing that signing an offer sheet ( which was one hundred percent permissible) is the same as someone, UNDER CONTRACT deciding to not honor the contract are equivalent?
No.

Scenarios arent the same, results are.

Both screwed the Preds for more money.

Radulov doing it while having 1 year left on his contract is worse, yes.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
No.

Scenarios arent the same, results are.

Both screwed the Preds for more money.

Radulov doing it while having 1 year left on his contract is worse, yes.

People should be free to get what the market will bear PROVIDED they are not otherwise contractually obligated. THAT is the problem with Radulov.

To suggest that they are comparable doesn't pass the smell test. They are VASTLY different, transparently different.

No one begrudge players getting what they can, unless they breach to do it.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
In order to put it in context, you need to look at the whole sequence. Bergevin played hardball and gave Radulov his "final offer". He then took that offer "off the table". Then he delivered to coup de grace by announcing, again in the media, that it was first come first served between Radu and Markov. Needless to say, neither of these friends and teammates bought that garbage. This is a textbook example of how not to negotiate.

In the mean time, while Bergevin was testosteroning his negotiation, Nill was wooing. He had his best players call Radu to encourage him to sign. He made him feel wanted and gave him a deal he could live with.

I'm not going to list all the times Bergevin's hardballing had repercussions down the road, nor which players he bent over and spread for - but the state of the team on ice and the empty seats in the stands speak volumes.

Fair enough, MB screw up in this negotiation....all tho we dont have all the details on how the negotiation went from December to july 1st, may have been out of frustration from MB .....still, he screw up, should just had said the usual ''i 'm not answering question on contract negotiation'' and being accuse after of not being transparent.....hope he learm from it

But even if he had not said what he said, i doubt that Radu would have signed with us unless we overpay in terms or in years and maybe both

Anyway my reply to you was more about the fact that the comment ''if you want loyalty, buy a dog'' was an answer to a reporter who ask him if he tought Radu should show more loyalty.......by ansewering that ......to me he is clearly stating that you should not expect loyalty in that kind of negotition

In the end, it's no big deal, i know that your comment on the ''dog-tale'' was more to make fun of MB than anything else

Reactions: groovejuice

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
The LoyaltyGate will never get old :D

ok3c7t.jpg

:popcorn:

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK

Players have the right to get as much as they can. It’s a job that only lasts so long after all.

What I don’t like is, as you’ve alluded to people making criticising players but ignoring others for attempting to maximise their earning potential. Apparently Markov, Subban and Radulov should be great fun for whatever gets offered but Weber signing that offer sheet is not a blemish on his character.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Fair enough, MB screw up in this negotiation....all tho we dont have all the details on how the negotiation went from December to july 1st, may have been out of frustration from MB .....still, he screw up, should just had said the usual ''i 'm not answering question on contract negotiation'' and being accuse after of not being transparent.....hope he learm from it

But even if he had not said what he said, i doubt that Radu would have signed with us unless we overpay in terms or in years and maybe both

Anyway my reply to you was more about the fact that the comment ''if you want loyalty, buy a dog'' was an answer to a reporter who ask him if he tought Radu should show more loyalty.......by ansewering that ......to me he is clearly stating that you should not expect loyalty in that kind of negotition

In the end, it's no big deal, i know that your comment on the ''dog-tale'' was more to make fun of MB than anything else

That may have been Bergevin's intention. He also may have been saying that his job is not to be loyal. In either case his strategy was embarrassing and not worthy of his position as NHL GM.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Radulov did not breach his contract for the Habs. He signed for 1 year and played for 1 year, with full intensity.

I have no idea how anyone could seriously categorize a UFA (read unaffiliated) player as in breach of a nonexistent contract. Mind boggling desperation, perhaps.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
I honestly don't know if he can. Bergevin has had 6+ years to learn the GM job and qualities and persona expected to accompany it. He's still quite lacking.

Oh well......life is a perpetual learning process, the day you stop learning from your mistakes is the day that either your body or your mind is dead, i still have hope..... wont bet my house on it tho :)

Reactions: groovejuice

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Players have the right to get as much as they can. It’s a job that only lasts so long after all.

What I don’t like is, as you’ve alluded to people making criticising players but ignoring others for attempting to maximise their earning potential. Apparently Markov, Subban and Radulov should be great fun for whatever gets offered but Weber signing that offer sheet is not a blemish on his character.
he didnt break his current contract to sign the offer sheet AND even if he did ( he didn't) the preds had the choice to match or not.

Radulov ditching the preds left them with no choice. Radulov was benefiting from a guaranteed contract but thought that it ws a one way street, that even though he DID sign a contract, he was under NO obligation to actually honor the contract he signed.

if you are looking for loyalty, that's not a red flag that's a parade of red flags. So long as it goes his way, he's on board. the minute it doesnt, you have to ask " will he ditch us this time" ?

Reactions: Acadien86
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce