Confirmed with Link: Habs European Scouting Combine

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Thus isn't entirely correct atm. Tons of Russians aren't able to travel across Europe atm. For example pro esports players have been missing Lan torunaments because they can't secure visas even for teams based out of the EU.

Thus isn't entirely correct atm. Tons of Russians aren't able to travel across Europe atm. For example pro esports players have been missing Lan torunaments because they can't secure visas even for teams based out of the EU.
Ummm….all they need is a schengen visa to travel to EU countries.

They probably already have valid ones as they plY hockey across Europe already.

A flight to Istanbul will
Allow them to travel to the EU countries via air….unless of course they ban all
Russian players to partake in the actual event
that's what I said

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
that's what I said

I was saying these visas are being denied, pretty consistently atm.

You were implying it isn't that hard, I was suggesting that may not be correct given almost no Russian players could secure them for a recent esports tournament with a huge prize pool.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No, I’m stating facts. None of these guys have graduated and until they do it’s not any different than before. You may forget, but we’ve always had high hopes for our previous draft prospects too. It’s easy to say the undetermined results are better than the determined results, but it won’t make it so.

High hopes vary depending on the player and sometimes they are valid and sometimes they are not. I don't know how it plays out but you have a very negative approach because of the past which I am avoiding. The past does not equal the future. Leave it in the past.

Two things you are overlooking in context:
1) Habs have not had this kind of draft power over those span of years
2) Development and direction of several prospects are very very good. In the past, we were giving ELC to prospects that we might let go today.

Right now, I only have Guhle as grade A level. But then we have a lot of B+ and B prospects but I bet you thought I though they were all grade A level. Not true and that's what I learned from the past but there is no reason to be negative with this pool. It will generate more NHL players than before but we need some of those grade B+ to turn into grade A's and also hit with our coming picks to inject more top end quality.

We have a very good foundation of youth that we can build on. And yes, not all of those guys will reach the potential we think they have.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
High hopes vary depending on the player and sometimes they are valid and sometimes they are not. I don't know how it plays out but you have a very negative approach because of the past which I am avoiding. The past does not equal the future. Leave it in the past.

Two things you are overlooking in context:
1) Habs have not had this kind of draft power over those span of years
2) Development and direction of several prospects are very very good. In the past, we were giving ELC to prospects that we might let go today.

Right now, I only have Guhle as grade A level. But then we have a lot of B+ and B prospects but I bet you thought I though they were all grade A level. Not true and that's what I learned from the past but there is no reason to be negative with this pool. It will generate more NHL players than before but we need some of those grade B+ to turn into grade A's and also hit with our coming picks to inject more top end quality.

We have a very good foundation of youth that we can build on. And yes, not all of those guys will reach the potential we think they have.
Same thing with drafting, lots of posters think every pick should be perfect and that only works in hindsight. One impact player a year is really good, plus one for top 10 picks. There can be value to getting some adequate players as opposed to impact players but not a whole lot.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Same thing with drafting, lots of posters think every pick should be perfect and that only works in hindsight. One impact player a year is really good, plus one for top 10 picks. There can be value to getting some adequate players as opposed to impact players but not a whole lot.

I hate when posters say... Remember that guy and try to apply the past to the future. Several in our herd dislike Bergevin and Timmins so much that they will not give any credit to some of the good things they did. Timmins did well with the draft power Bergevin provided in the later years.

HuGo are happy with where they started. Pool is strong and yeah, some will disappoint. But this is no reason to compare it to past ranges of drafts which have less development achievements and less draft power.

The past is in the past

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I was saying these visas are being denied, pretty consistently atm.

You were implying it isn't that hard, I was suggesting that may not be correct given almost no Russian players could secure them for a recent esports tournament with a huge prize pool.

Ummm….I’m not aware that they are flat out denying Russians Schengen…

Do you know this for fact?

In my post, i had also mentioned that these Russian players probably already have Schengen visas as they partake in international tournaments….Schengen can be valid for up to 5 yrs i believe.

unless they are cancelling these visas, they should be able to travel….

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I hate when posters say... Remember that guy and try to apply the past to the future. Several in our herd dislike Bergevin and Timmins so much that they will not give any credit to some of the good things they did. Timmins did well with the draft power Bergevin provided in the later years.

HuGo are happy with where they started. Pool is strong and yeah, some will disappoint. But this is no reason to compare it to past ranges of drafts which have less development achievements and less draft power.

The past is in the past
The irony in this post. You were the one that compared it to previous prospect pools and said this was clearly better. Let’s move on, when the majority of them fail you will be saying the next 5 years is better than the current crop and round and round we go.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The irony in this post. You were the one that compared it to previous prospect pools and said this was clearly better. Let’s move on, when the majority of them fail you will be saying the next 5 years is better than the current crop and round and round we go.

It is clearly better IMO. Yup, move on time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Until we get actual results, this is only an opinion, not a fact.

Didn't say it was a fact. I'm looking at context. Better draft power and better development tracks. There are guys today we might not sign that we would have signed in the past.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yep, so much better, no top 6 forwards, no sure Fire top end talent, but lots of depth. Most will definitely never make it. So much better.

I thought we were moving on?

I already said we have one Grade A (Guhle) with a bunch of B+ guys on very good development tracks. And no, most will not make it to their top potential. I've basically said all of this already

You're not even paying attention in this disagreement and you have the nerve to accuse me of it. You should have left it at the move on post bud.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I thought we were moving on?

I already said we have one Grade A (Guhle) with a bunch of B+ guys on very good development tracks. And no, most will not make it to their top potential. I've basically said all of this already

You're not even paying attention in this disagreement and you have the nerve to accuse me of it. You should have left it at the move on post bud.
Lolol I’m paying attention. You make the same argument every 3-4 years and you’ve been wrong every time. Maybe someday you’ll learn.

A bunch of B+ guys, sure thing bud.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Lolol I’m paying attention. You make the same argument every 3-4 years and you’ve been wrong every time. Maybe someday you’ll learn.

I wonder if it's still the 08-11 draft fault the prospect pool was bad.

Always interesting that there's always a double standard with Bergevin drafting. Draft was bad, he didn't have good picks BC he traded them for guys like Shaw, prospects fault they didn't develop...

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

You first started and compared it to previous years and I said it was better. Then acted like I thought we had loads of Grade A prospects which I didn't say. Very disinengeous.

Every 3-4 years? I said in 2017, our prospect pool is going to turn the corner. You and others remember that as, we had a great prospect pool. Please put more energy in comprehending it better vs belittling and you will remember it better ;)

You're not paying attention. Your drawing conclusions and then going on hate mode with it. Maybe someday you will learn. Told you in the last post. Should have taken your own advice with the move on time and now look at you... going on poster attack cause we don't agree and twisting things. Classic bud

Yes, we do have Guhle who is a grade A with a bunch of B+ guys trending in the right direction. Reality. Not sure what your problem is

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No, I’m stating facts. None of these guys have graduated and until they do it’s not any different than before. You may forget, but we’ve always had high hopes for our previous draft prospects too. It’s easy to say the undetermined results are better than the determined results, but it won’t make it so.

Stating facts eh? Not any different than before? :laugh:

Always doomsday with you. You're behind the times bud

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Back on topic...
I have a feeling Habs really like Sykora. Seems to fit the type of player Hughes has mentioned he'd like to build with. Speedy player with strong hockey IQ and good skills who is very good defensively. If scouts at the European combine provide positive feedback on his character and what he's like as a person, I don't see him getting past our #33 pick. He's one of those late riser types that often sneak into the 1st round.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Back on topic...
I have a feeling Habs really like Sykora. Seems to fit the type of player Hughes has mentioned he'd like to build with. Speedy player with strong hockey IQ and good skills who is very good defensively. If scouts at the European combine provide positive feedback on his character and what he's like as a person, I don't see him getting past our #33 pick. He's one of those late riser types that often sneak into the 1st round.

Apparently he said that he felt Arizona and Montreal showed the most interest in him.

Arizona has so many picks.

I don't really feel like he's worth a top 33 pick.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Apparently he said that he felt Arizona and Montreal showed the most interest in him.

Arizona has so many picks.

I don't really feel like he's worth a top 33 pick.
He seems to have picked up lots of momentum recently. He's one of the youngest players in the draft and would be in next year's draft if he was born a year later. I've heard that some think he has some goal scoring upside. Sounds a lot like a Lehkonen comparable with more speed.

EDIT: ...if he was born a week later. Thanks @bopeep

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
He seems to have picked up lots of momentum recently. He's one of the youngest players in the draft and would be in next year's draft if he was born a year later. I've heard that some think he has some goal scoring upside. Sounds a lot like a Lehkonen comparable with more speed.
I think every prospect in this year's draft would be in next year's draft if born a year later... :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad