Confirmed with Link: Habs European Scouting Combine

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Per The Athletic - The Habs will be doing their own european combine again this year.

1654600792216.png

Players confirmed by the Athletic to be attending (Russians may not get a visa to come)
Mattias Havelid
Simon Forsmark
Adam Sykora
Ludwig Persson

I'm a big fan of Havelid, Forsmark and Persson. I know Sykora got some noise toward the end of the year as well.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
In what range are these guys expected to get picked?

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
From my personal rankings:

Ludwig Persson (39)
Mattias Havelid (45)
Simon Forsmark (69)
Adam Sykora (NR - I didn't really like what I saw until the Worlds and my list was made before then. Would have him in the 80s).

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Per The Athletic - The Habs will be doing their own european combine again this year.

View attachment 556773

Players confirmed by the Athletic to be attending (Russians may not get a visa to come)
Mattias Havelid
Simon Forsmark
Adam Sykora
Ludwig Persson

I'm a big fan of Havelid, Forsmark and Persson. I know Sykora got some noise toward the end of the year as well.
Ummm….all they need is a schengen visa to travel to EU countries.

They probably already have valid ones as they plY hockey across Europe already.

A flight to Istanbul will
Allow them to travel to the EU countries via air….unless of course they ban all
Russian players to partake in the actual event

Reactions: Chili and Dick Duff

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

View attachment 556773

Mattias Havelid
Simon Forsmark
Adam Sykora
Ludwig Persson

If Sykora was born a week later he'd be eligible for the 2023 draft. I think he'll go no later than the 2nd. He has some momentum heading into the draft. Great set of wheels and good defensively. He played for Slovakia in the Worlds and scored a couple of goals. Mesar who is projected by many to go in the 1st didn't get selected. Glad the Habs will be taking a close look at him.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Ummm….all they need is a schengen visa to travel to EU countries.

They probably already have valid ones as they plY hockey across Europe already.

A flight to Istanbul will
Allow them to travel to the EU countries via air….unless of course they ban all
Russian players to partake in the actual event

I think the combine takes place -in Montreal-. Wherein lies the issue.

Reactions: jaffy27

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

View attachment 556773

Mattias Havelid
Simon Forsmark
Adam Sykora
Ludwig Persson

NICE!!! This is what helped them learn more of and choose to draft Romanov and Ylonen in 2018.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Pretty sure they held the Euro combine in Europe last time. As your excerpt mention, it was closer to home for them.

The Montreal combine was for NA player.

Then the visa shouldn't be an issue but I'm not sure where they hold it, with the geopolitical situation maybe its hard for Russians to get out of Russia period. I don't really know.

Hopefully they can get them there, it's a good crop.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Then the visa shouldn't be an issue but I'm not sure where they hold it, with the geopolitical situation maybe its hard for Russians to get out of Russia period. I don't really know.

If it's like last time, it would be in Stockholm.

"On Friday, Trevor Timmins and his staff will travel to Stockholm, Sweden where they'll be staging another combine featuring 16 European prospects. The overseas event will be a first for the Canadiens."

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure. It's possible. I know most teams hold their own combines in their cities. But I can't tell you if Habs are the only ones who go have one in Europe, as well.

This is something I can credit Timmins for wanting to make the organization to do this.

Habs scouting has been better in recent drafts and the results in development (so far) show. No idea if it was Timmins pushing for better scouting or if there was just more pressure put on him due to the bad picks he made in prior years.

I'd be curious to know who's idea that was to get the Euro Combine going. Was it Timmins for sure?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Habs scouting has been better in recent drafts and the results in development (so far) show. No idea if it was Timmins pushing for better scouting or if there was just more pressure put on him due to the bad picks he made in prior years.

I'd be curious to know who's idea that was to get the Euro Combine going. Was it Timmins for sure?

Timmins was in charge of the amateur scouting at the time they started doing this, so I will give him credit. Whether it was specifically his idea or one of his scouts brought it up to him, I can't tell you. But when you're the one in charge, you get credit for the good and get criticized for the bad.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Timmins was in charge of the amateur scouting at the time they started doing this, so I will give him credit. Whether it was specifically his idea or one of his scouts brought it up to him, I can't tell you. But when you're the one in charge, you get credit for the good and get criticized for the bad.

Here is a good question... Who ends up with the better draft group? Draft power is higher from 22-24 I would imagine but Timmins did well recently from what we see today. If HuGo hit like that, we are in very very good shape!

Timmins/Bergevin from 19-21
vs
HuGo from 22-24

19-21:

* Caufield
* Guhle
* Roy
* Farrell
* Kidney
* Mysak
* Mailloux
* RHP, Dobes, Norlinder, Fairbrother, Struble, Kapanen, Tuch

We could include another year (2018) even considering the KK pick. Ylonen, Romanov, and Harris were good picks in that draft as well!

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
Whoever it was should get a cookie.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

They can easily make it to Istanbul. When I fly to Belarus, I have to go through there (Istanbul) as European airspace is closed off to Belavia (Belarussian Airline) and I'm pretty sure all Russian Airlines are also banned.

If for whatever reason, Russian airlines are not flying to Turkey, they can make their way to Minsk as it's an open border between Belarus and Russia and then take the long flight to Istanbul which the flight path extends out to Kazakhstan and back over the the Caspian and Black Sea.

I was there last month and on my flight back to Turkey from Minsk, the guy beside me (who was BTW completely drunk and passed out) had a Russian passport. Actually, my wife is a Russian National and can travel to Turkey, so there's no issue making your way to EU countries from Turkey as long as they have their Schengen visa.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They can easily make it to Istanbul. When I fly to Belarus, I have to go through there (Istanbul) as European airspace is closed off to Belavia (Belarussian Airline) and I'm pretty sure all Russian Airlines are also banned.

If for whatever reason, Russian airlines are not flying to Turkey, they can make their way to Minsk as it's an open border between Belarus and Russia and then take the long flight to Istanbul which the flight path extends out to Kazakhstan and back over the the Caspian and Black Sea.

I was there last month and on my flight back to Turkey from Minsk, the guy beside me (who was BTW completely drunk and passed out) had a Russian passport. Actually, my wife is a Russian National and can travel to Turkey, so there's no issue making your way to EU countries from Turkey as long as they have their Schengen visa.

Question then becomes, are they willing to do this for the Habs private combine? Hopefully so.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Aren't you a pilot Jaffy? If so thats quite scary lmao

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad