Confirmed with Link: Habs European Scouting Combine

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
From the Montreal Gazette

“I was a little surprised,” Romanov told reporters in Dallas through a Russian translator. “I thought that I was going to go towards the end of the second, maybe early third round, and so I was surprised.”

The 5-foot-11, 185-pounder was ranked No. 115 among European skaters by NHL Central Scouting, but the Canadiens obviously had him ranked a lot higher.

Canadiens assistant general manager Trevor Timmins told reporters in Dallas that Romanov really impressed the team’s scouts when he played for Russia at the World Junior A Challenge.

“Right there, you could see it was on the smaller ice in Truro, N.S., and he really stepped his game up and played really well there,” Timmins told reporters in Dallas. “With less time and space, he showed us that he could make quick decisions with the puck. And he plays physical. He does it all.”

That challenge took place months before the combine

He wasn't in the lineup

Romanov played in the World Junior A Challenge (WJAC-19) in 2017. That was the tournament in Truro.

He played in the Super Series in 2018, post-draft.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

He wasn't in the lineup
Look at the date of the article that I posted. This is hardly a secret as these comments by Timmins were widely known on this board at the time. The games were played in Truro N.S. so it was a different tournament than I had originally stated but my quote in the previous post unequivocally proves that Timmin's saw him there before he saw him at the combine.

Here is a link to the full article

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Romanov played in the World Junior A Challenge (WJAC-19) in 2017. That was the tournament in Truro.

He played in the Super Series in 2018, post-draft.

Which was before the combine

Yes, that's not against CHL player though, they don't play in that tournament.

What does it matter, Timmin's is quoted as being initially impressed by him at this tournament.

Last edited:

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Guhle is an order of magnitude better than Brook or Fleury ever were and there does seem to be a consensus that we have an extremely deep pool of quality prospects.

If we draft Wright we will conceivably be in great shape at center and at D as there are so many good D prospects that there is plenty of room for a bunch of them to fail and still fill out the roster. I would expect HuGo to identify the keepers early and flip the others for forward prospects to compliment Wright, Suzuki and Caufield.
Imo we need one more year (next) to get the highest pick they can. Then things will truly get interesting.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It was, but it's not against CHLer but against guys from the MJAHL, OJHL, CCHL, QJHL and NOJHL if we're being nitpicky.

Timmins (or another scout) likely saw him play there before the combine, yes.

More than likely as I posted a link quoting Timmins as have being initially impressed by him at the tournament

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Ummm….all they need is a schengen visa to travel to EU countries.

They probably already have valid ones as they plY hockey across Europe already.

A flight to Istanbul will
Allow them to travel to the EU countries via air….unless of course they ban all
Russian players to partake in the actual event

Thus isn't entirely correct atm. Tons of Russians aren't able to travel across Europe atm. For example pro esports players have been missing Lan torunaments because they can't secure visas even for teams based out of the EU.

Ummm….all they need is a schengen visa to travel to EU countries.

They probably already have valid ones as they plY hockey across Europe already.

A flight to Istanbul will
Allow them to travel to the EU countries via air….unless of course they ban all
Russian players to partake in the actual event

Thus isn't entirely correct atm. Tons of Russians aren't able to travel across Europe atm. For example pro esports players have been missing Lan torunaments because they can't secure visas even for teams based out of the EU.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
We will be picking high enough to get a really good prospect next year.
It could depend on Mr Price. IF he comes back and plays well, and IF they can't move him, it could put them out of real contention for a top 5 pick. Big ifs I know, but I hope not. He's not going to help this team if he stays

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It could depend on Mr Price. IF he comes back and plays well, and IF they can't move him, it could put them out of real contention for a top 5 pick. Big ifs I know, but I hope not. He's not going to help this team if he stays

Even if so, the top 10 is bonkers. Even the top 15.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
I don't know why you think Price came back and play well? His knee was shot and you can saw it in the game he played near the end of the season. If almost a year off and that's how your knee reacted in game then it's no doubt that his career is coming to an end.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't know why you think Price came back and play well? His knee was shot and you can saw it in the game he played near the end of the season. If almost a year off and that's how your knee reacted in game then it's no doubt that his career is coming to an end.

He's currently on crutches.

Reactions: jaffy27

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
From the Montreal Gazette

“I was a little surprised,” Romanov told reporters in Dallas through a Russian translator. “I thought that I was going to go towards the end of the second, maybe early third round, and so I was surprised.”

The 5-foot-11, 185-pounder was ranked No. 115 among European skaters by NHL Central Scouting, but the Canadiens obviously had him ranked a lot higher.

Canadiens assistant general manager Trevor Timmins told reporters in Dallas that Romanov really impressed the team’s scouts when he played for Russia at the World Junior A Challenge.

“Right there, you could see it was on the smaller ice in Truro, N.S., and he really stepped his game up and played really well there,” Timmins told reporters in Dallas. “With less time and space, he showed us that he could make quick decisions with the puck. And he plays physical. He does it all.”

That challenge took place months before the combine

World Junior A Challenge is not the same as the Super Series, which is the one where they play the CHL teams.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
You have to give him credit for keep fighting back. But I really think his knee is done.
Lets not make him out to be Terry Fox, he's getting that knee fixed so he can get walk from Lambo to Lambo , live in a mansion, and enjoy his retirement

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I remember when Brook seemed solid, Fleury was interesting, Poehling looked good and Primeau was going to be Prices replacement. I don't think we've got near enough data to say much about those years.
Sure, and we'll see. Maybe some current prospects won't make the jump to the next level, Roy didn't impress in his first AHL game as an 18 year old, but few do. Farrell still looks good at higher levels. Guhle seems pretty solid but we'll see next year. Kidney, Simoneau, and Trudeau had good years. Dobe has been good. RHP had a good AHL season. Primeau has had his ups and downs but he's still young for a goalie.

I agree that to claim success at least one more player from 2019-2021 will have to make an impact. The habs made a lot of picks and they had 15OA and 16 OA. 2-3 desirable players would be good, anything more would be impressive.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It's too early to know but there is good development there in those years and no, it's not the same as before. I get the feeling you want it to be like prior years?
No, I’m stating facts. None of these guys have graduated and until they do it’s not any different than before. You may forget, but we’ve always had high hopes for our previous draft prospects too. It’s easy to say the undetermined results are better than the determined results, but it won’t make it so.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I do hope so but it's still up in the air. I read he received some kind of injection in his knee and they'll see how it holds up. I personally think he's done but until it's announced, who knows?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
How I see it is if you have a few, as in 3 or so real good prospects, then hopefully one becomes a top player. So on D I call Guhle and Barron real good prospects. Then we have a bunch of " solid" prospects ( kind of like when we had Darren Dietz ) , and maybe one guy from that group becomes a bottom pair D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad