Post-Game Talk: Habs Dudes end 7-game point streak, Joisey wins 6-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You ageist anti-vanillites are the worst.
I blame this guy..
1ecdf97835c126f24f67f68512777030.jpg

Was game over right there and then.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Since 12-13 between Sweden, AHL, and NHL, he has 96 points in 315 games (roughly). This is a 34th overall pick.

Those numbers are misleading - I can't speak for his numbers in Sweeden...but the majority of his NHL games have been played with AHL scrubs and with 8-10 mins a game on the 4th line.

DLR is not ever going to be a PPG player, so to expect him to produce points in those circumstances is unrealistic.

I'd rather focus on what he's shown us when he's ACTUALLY gotten a real opportunity. I think since he's come over to North America, he's had 1 legit opportunities.

- his rookie year, and everyone was impressed with what they saw then
- the last 5 games since Plekanec was traded and he's responded with 2 goals, 2 assists, +2, 20 hits...yes it's a small sample, but they also represent the only legitimate opportunity he's had this year.

Actually check that, he also got 2 games earlier this year to replace Drouin in the top 6 and he responded with 1 goal and 3 assists in 2 games.

Maybe he's a late bloomer. I don't know. I've always liked him but he has no hands. What I'm seeing right now I've seen from countless players over the years. That said if he ends up like a Maxim Lapierre in the bottom six there's use for that so long as he's never overpaid.

The real problem is that it's not like we had great choices at the time. JT Compher is around the same in skill. Heck Lehkonen has the most points out of anyone in the second round so far. Guentzel is a third rounder and I don't remember anyone saying the Penguins got a steal when they selected him. Kind of a weak draft. Not gonna blame Timmins for not seeing Will Butcher in the fifth.

I'm fine with him. I just don't like that in the early second round we didn't try to take the player with the most explosive offence but instead the guy who was the best defensive forward available. I don't like that thinking. Especially since word is that Timmins wanted him with the first round pick.
I think DLR can be a quality 3rd line C...if that's what he ends up being, you can't complain with a 2nd round pick

Reactions: CanadiensChick

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I don't think that's true - he has offense in his game, he just has gotten very little opportunity to show it. I think the living embodiment you described was traded last week. He was the living embodiment of a defensively responsible with almost zero offense type of player, except we were paying him 6M a year to do that job.

DLR makes 725K...

Again, i'm not suggesting he's going to score 30 goals one day...but I think he's at the very least our 4th line C next year and I think he's got potential to play in a 3rd line role and chip in some offense.

Also disagree we don't need more of what he brings...size, skating, strength, smarts all down the middle, the Habs could use a lot of that.

Again, I think in the coming weeks a lot of people are going to discover a 'new' DLR...I don't think there's anything 'new' about him, he's just finally getting a real opportunity that trading Plekanec created.
should stop with your Plekanec obsession. ONE player centering the 3RD LINE, should not stop prospects from progressing.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
should stop with your Plekanec obsession.ONE player centering the 3RD LINE, should not stop prospects from progressing.
no it shouldn't stop him from progressing...but it did.

An important part of developing is actually getting an opportunity.

Do you really think it's a coincidence that DLR has 4pts in the last 5 games that also coincide with the 3rd line center spot being vacated??

Really? You don't think one has anything to do with the other?

Here are DLR's game logs since Plekanec was traded

14:17, 12:16, 13:13, 12:53, 15:53

He's played AT LEAST 12 mins in EVERY game since Plekanec was traded.

In the 35 games PRIOR to that, or when Plekanec was on the team, he had a TOTAL OF 5 GAMES where he had more than 12 mins of icetime.

And here's something else for you to chew on...in those 5 games that I just referenced, he had 4pts in those 5 games.

Food for thought, get a plate

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
no it shouldn't stop him from progressing...but it did.

An important part of developing is actually getting an opportunity.

Do you really think it's a coincidence that DLR has 4pts in the last 5 games that also coincide with the 3rd line center spot being vacated??

Really? You don't think one has anything to do with the other?

Here are DLR's game logs since Plekanec was traded

14:17, 12:16, 13:13, 12:53, 15:53

He's played AT LEAST 12 mins in EVERY game since Plekanec was traded.

In the 35 games PRIOR to that, or when Plekanec was on the team, he had a TOTAL OF 5 GAMES where he had more than 12 mins of icetime.

And here's something else for you to chew on...in those 5 games that I just referenced, he had 4pts in those 5 games.

Food for thought
, get a plate

yup and Jan Bulis had a 4 goals game... I'm full already.

btw, did you know Georges Laraque had a hat-trick in his career ?

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
Taylor Hall and Radulov show that we might not necessarily need centers to win. Many, perhaps all, posters will disagree, and say we need centers.

But let's say the Subban for Klefbom and Hall trade went down and Radulov was resigned.

Pacioretty Danault Radulov
Hall Galchenyuk Gallagher

I thin that's a top six that is good enough for us to be contenders. Radulov plays like a center in the offensive zone, Danault in the defensive zone. Hopefully Chucky can learn the defensive position.

How many contenders do you have this year? I don't think we are with Danault and Pacioretty in the top6. And who's playing defense? Klefbom/Petry/Juulsen/Mete/Alzner/Benn/Schlemko? Is it possible to be a contenders without a great centerline? Maybe but you must have one oof the best D squad and that means D that can make quick passes/ skate fast and make good/quick decision. So far I think that our D is a worst flaw than our centerline and we have Danault/DeLarose as centermen!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
yup and Jan Bulis had a 4 goals game... I'm full already.

btw, did you know Georges Laraque had a hat-trick in his career ?
I'm guessing this latest strawman is a cover up for not being able to dispute what I wrote?

Cool.

Here's more food for thought - before Max Pacioretty got a real opportunity with the Habs, many people thought he was a bust.

Until magically, the team decided to use a player they drafted to score, in a scoring goal...and out of nowhere you know what he did?

He started to score goals.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
Get drafted 30th overall? You better be a top six guy!

Get drafted 34th overall? It's okay you'll never be a top six guy, you were picked in a round other than the first! That's where all the not top sixers are picked!

Well to be honest, when DLR (34th)/Chipchura/McCarron were drafted in the late 1st round, I don't think anyone saw top6 material in them. That's i'd rather swing for the fences with a guy with more skills les workethic/defensively flawed. Who cares if he's a bust. 4th liners can be picked on waivers or signed cheaply as UFA. It's been a while since i've seen a team losing because their 4th line wasn't good enought. Maybe the year the Lighning lost in the first round when Lecavalier/MSL played 25 min a night.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
How many contenders do you have this year? I don't think we are with Danault and Pacioretty in the top6. And who's playing defense? Klefbom/Petry/Juulsen/Mete/Alzner/Benn/Schlemko? Is it possible to be a contenders without a great centerline? Maybe but you must have one oof the best D squad and that means D that can make quick passes/ skate fast and make good/quick decision. So far I think that our D is a worst flaw than our centerline and we have Danault/DeLarose as centermen!

Yes, you need a good d-core. You left Weber out and we wouldn't have traded Sergachev for Drouin if we had traded Subban for Hall and Klefbom, at least hypothetically. So the point remains we may have been able to build a contender without getting a true number 1 center. Especially if Chucky can become a solid #2 with good management.

The point is important because this year at the draft, many want us to address our needs of a top left pairing dman if a center isn't available. But, If we have a read that one of the wingers available will be an elite winger, especially a Radulov/Hall/Patrick Kane type that drives play (i.e. plays like a center in the offensive zone), we should draft that player.

I'm sick of having such a crappy offense. It's been too long. Timmins has shown an ability to draft dmen. The emergence of Mete and Juulsen helps a lot. Are we that bad going forward with:

ufa/draft pick Weber
Mete Petry
Alzner/Rielly/Valiev/Benn Juulsen

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I'm guessing this latest strawman is a cover up for not being able to dispute what I wrote?

Cool.
there's none there... Lindgren 5 first game as a Habs this season had (approx) 1.4GAA and .930+ SV% / Carr has 7 pts in his first 5 games as a Hab this season / and if you look around the league, you'll find out vast majority of forwards in this league had good streaks of 5 or 6 games...

reality : you've never been a fan of DLR, you just happen to really really like him right now cause he's replacing the Habs player you despised for years.

Reactions: the

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
Yes, you need a good d-core. You left Weber out and we wouldn't have traded Sergachev for Drouin if we had traded Subban for Hall and Klefbom, at least hypothetically. So the point remains we may have been able to build a contender without getting a true number 1 center. Especially if Chucky can become a solid #2 with good management.

The point is important because this year at the draft, many want us to address our needs of a top left pairing dman if a center isn't available. But, If we have a read that one of the wingers available will be an elite winger, especially a Radulov/Hall/Patrick Kane type that drives play (i.e. plays like a center in the offensive zone), we should draft that player.

I'm sick of having such a crappy offense. It's been too long. Timmins has shown an ability to draft dmen. The emergence of Mete and Juulsen helps a lot. Are we that bad going forward with:

ufa/draft pick Weber
Mete Petry
Alzner/Rielly/Valiev/Benn Juulsen

I left Weber out because you traded PK for Hall and Klefbom. I could have add Sergatchev.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
there's none there... Lindgren 5 first game as a Habs this season had (approx) 1.4GAA and .930+ SV% / Carr has 7 pts in his first 5 games as a Hab this season / and if you look around the league, you'll find out vast majority of forwards in this league had good streaks of 5 or 6 games...
This has nothing to do with what I wrote...i'm talking about OPPORTUNITIES.

DLR is finally getting a REAL opportunity and he's taking advantage of it, i'm fully aware that it's a small sample and I don't expect him to continue to play at a PPG pace, I don't think he has any top 6 potential.

That's not even the point - you couldn't be further away from the point if you tried, but the sad thing is I know you're trying to do just that.

reality : you've never been a fan of DLR, you just happen to really really like him right now cause he's replacing the Habs player you despised for years.

This is 100% false...you're more than welcome to scour through the DLR thread, you'll find MANY posts of mine that talked about me wanting him to get a real opportunity.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

Cool.

Here's more food for thought - before Max Pacioretty got a real opportunity with the Habs, many people thought he was a bust.

Until magically, the team decided to use a player they drafted to score, in a scoring goal...and out of nowhere you know what he did?

He started to score goals.
The same jabronis who thought Max was already a bust are the same who thought McDonagh and Price were too at some point. Same with Sergachev. Jabronis will be jabronis. I wouldn't hold their opinion too high.

That being said, DLR is different. He's not coming in with the same type of profile or resumes as these guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27 and 417

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
This has nothing to do with what I wrote...i'm talking about OPPORTUNITIES.

DLR is finally getting a REAL opportunity and he's taking advantage of it, i'm fully aware that it's a small sample and I don't expect him to continue to play at a PPG pace, I don't think he has any top 6 potential.

That's not even the point - you couldn't be further away from the point if you tried, but the sad thing is I know you're trying to do just that.

This is 100% false...you're more than welcome to scour through the DLR thread, you'll find MANY posts of mine that talked about me wanting him to get a real opportunity.
that's why you HAD to talk about the points he's got in those 5 games, sure...

wrong.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
that's why you HAD to talk about the points he's got in those 5 games, sure...

wrong.
The points are just a bonus - the opportunity he finally has is the main point that you're either unable or unwilling to grasp.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
i'll back 417 up, he has said for some time that DLR just needed a chance to play with better players. I say let's see what he does next year when it matters but I have said I do like DLR for some time as a possible 4th liner.

Reactions: Redux91 and 417

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
i'll back 417 up, he has said for some time that DLR just needed a chance to play with better players. I say let's see what he does next year when it matters but I have said I do like DLR for some time as a possible 4th liner.
4th liner sure. 3rd liner ? need to put up points now to play there.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't think that's true - he has offense in his game, he just has gotten very little opportunity to show it. I think the living embodiment you described was traded last week. He was the living embodiment of a defensively responsible with almost zero offense type of player, except we were paying him 6M a year to do that job.

DLR makes 725K...

Again, i'm not suggesting he's going to score 30 goals one day...but I think he's at the very least our 4th line C next year and I think he's got potential to play in a 3rd line role and chip in some offense.

Also disagree we don't need more of what he brings...size, skating, strength, smarts all down the middle, the Habs could use a lot of that.

Again, I think in the coming weeks a lot of people are going to discover a 'new' DLR...I don't think there's anything 'new' about him, he's just finally getting a real opportunity that trading Plekanec created.
Man, do I hope you're right about de la Rose. But I really can't see a comparison with Plekanec who, up until two years ago, was a solid top-six C who produced 15-20 goals consistently. I don't see anything in DLR's skillset that shows the slightest glimmer of that potential. But sure, I'm happy to watch how high he can reach when given the opportunity in the next month.

Reactions: Runner77

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Man, do I hope you're right about de la Rose. But I really can't see a comparison with Plekanec who, up until two years ago, was a solid top-six C who produced 15-20 goals consistently. I don't see anything in DLR's skillset that shows the slightest glimmer of that potential. But sure, I'm happy to watch how high he can reach when given the opportunity in the next month.
I'm not really making a comparison to the 2 way dynamo Plekanec USED to be...

But I think he's a MUCH better player than the version of Plekanec we saw the last 2 years, that I have no doubt of.

I see DLR settling into the same type of role/numbers that we see from Lars Eller...12-15 goals 30-35pts, while bringing a physical presence at both ends of the rink.

Thats the upside I think he has within him.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Vanilla gets a bad rap because it's off-white. If it was pink or nut-brown or purple it'd be a cool flavour, but because it's white it's considered "Plain", even though there's nothing plain about it. Snow isn't "Plain" weather, vanilla isn't a "Plain" flavour. It's distinct and quite delicious. Sadly, we have a long way to go in educating a world full of anti-vanillites...
Vanilla gets a bad rap because most vanilla ice cream tastes like frozen milk. Real vanilla ice cream, made with copious amounts of vanilla beans and not the extract from a beaver's butt crap, actually tastes real good.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
4th liner sure. 3rd liner ? need to put up points now to play there.
Our "3rd line center" put up 28pts in that role last year and was headed towards a similar point totals this year.

Did you think he also needed to put up points?

Either way, I do agree with you that DLR is going to have to show more offense if he's going to play in that role.

Which he is now, but then you dismiss it.

So....

Reactions: Redux91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad