Confirmed with Link: Habs draft Martin Reway with the 116th overall pick (info in OP)

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
This size obsession really needs to just end. Like, end faster than a bloody Kim Mitchell song.

He's 5'8, zomg. Guess what? At 18, I was 5'8. I'm 25 now and I'm 6'1. PEOPLE GROW! Weight is easier to achieve. Eat, work out. Not that hard.

Once a smurf, always a smurf.

24rings

Sep 9, 2002
mtl
Visit site
This size obsession really needs to just end. Like, end faster than a bloody Kim Mitchell song.

He's 5'8, zomg. Guess what? At 18, I was 5'8. I'm 25 now and I'm 6'1. PEOPLE GROW! Weight is easier to achieve. Eat, work out. Not that hard.

At 15 i was 6'1" at 30 I'm still 6'1" i started smoking at 15, I'm convinced it screwed me over :(

My bro on the other hand was 5'5" up until 18. He grew to 6'3" over a 2 year span, never touched a cigarette

Hopefully now that Reway doesn't smoke anymore he has a serious growth spurt :yo:

kernkraft

Jul 8, 2006
Kanata

Well, most people reach their adult height around 18 so that's really rare.

In any event, I think it's even worse in the NHL since, for some reason, height for a player can vary wildly from one source to the other. Just look at Lehkonen: some say 5'9, 5'10, but we have visual evidence that he's actually 5'11.5

So for me it's just curiosity. And besides, reach and weight are a lot more important than height in hockey. I know that's why my hockey sticks are pretty long (I'm 5'6). Maybe someone who knows better can correct me, but some shorter boxers actually have better reach than taller ones.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I was 5"10 at 16 and i'm 5"10 at 32, thought at 14 i was drinking, smoking and doing drugs. The chances of Reway to grow are pretty slim. I know it's somewhat common but i don't remember a single of my friends to grow an inch over the age of 18. But we all dream to grow more between the age of 18 and 20, almost never happen.

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.

One does not simply "grow" at 18. Maybe you did, but the average person does not. I'll agree that weight MIGHT possibly by easier, depending on your frame. Some fill in only later in their early 20's.

Unfortunately, size is a factor, CS. Do we maybe emphasize on it a little too much on this board? Yes- but it remains a significant factor. Certain smaller players play an aggressive style and they can make it in the pros, others can't. A 6'1 Martin Reway doesn't get picked 116th.

BTW, to be clear, I'm still happy we picked up this talented player.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Might as well go for a soda SOMETHING SOMETHING NOBODY LIES!!!!!

TA1 Sports

@TA_Stephenson
Dec 3, 2011
Halifax NS
www.ta1sports.com
Why don't people seem to realize that there is nothing wrong with having guys that are small in the line up, provided that there are also guys who are big?

We've had to many smaller guys, but only because they were not being insulated in the line up with toughness and larger players. We're getting those larger guys now, so bring on guys of any size as long as they can play.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Why don't people seem to realize that there is nothing wrong with having guys that are small in the line up, provided that there are also guys who are big?

We've had to many smaller guys, but only because they were not being insulated in the line up with toughness and larger players. We're getting those larger guys now, so bring on guys of any size as long as they can play.

Yup. When you got a few more big bodies you can definitely have a few more littler dudes.

pre-draft interview: http://www.slovakprospects.com/article/1650-pred-vstupnym-draftom-nhl-2013-martin-reway
Height: 177 cm/5’9â€
Weight: 79 kg/167 lbs

Interesting. A Giroux comparison? jeepers. Like that this coach is the one that groomed Giroux.

this is probably my least favourite pick and I still really really like it. This draft has me pretty excited. Getting projects now is more interesting since we've boosted our development team infrastructure.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don't see the comparison you're trying to make

I got to see Mikus a lot playing for the Sags and Reway is definitely more talented.

Mikus played at 19 in the Q alongside a 20 yo Desharnais and was a little over 1 pt per game.

Reway was 17 and played without a real first line center and was also a little over 1 pt per game.

Also, Reway is Tyrion Lannister while Mikus is more like Jaime. In height I mean, not the sister loving thing. :sarcasm:

Point is, as far as how I saw both of them respectively, whether we do know or not how Mikus would have done at 17 yo in the same kind of environment, that I see and saw both players, so far, as with tons of natural skills but not sure how the entire game would be for them. Surely, what we saw with Mikus, we had an immediate idea of what he would gave us while Reway still has time to improve. Don't be so hard on Mikus though, as clearly he had an adaptation problem as we saw based on how he dealt with his career afterwards.

Rikiki Bousquet

Oct 3, 2012
Honestly, I find it sad to see so many people speaking about his size.

Yes he's really small, but he's really good. Every time i watched him I was amazed by his skill and hockey sense. Every time.

He might have some bad moments, but, for the most part, he seemed to me to be a player that was a notch over his pairs.

His size will not help him, but be sure to start watching him as he is an interesting player to watch at junior level to say the least.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Honestly, I find it sad to see so many people speaking about his size.

Yes he's really small, but he's really good. Every time i watched him I was amazed by his skill and hockey sense. Every time.

He might have some bad moments, but, for the most part, he seemed to me to be a player that was a notch over his pairs.

His size will not help him, but be sure to start watching him as he is an interesting player to watch at junior level to say the least.

You were amazed by his hockey sense every time? That is actually one of his biggest question marks. Bit of a pond hockey player...for too often tried to do it all himself instead of passing to teammates.

I saw Reway play more than 20 times live..and there were games when he never passed the puck. Too his credit, and Ben Groulx, by the playoffs he was starting to figure that out..that it's easier to get scoring chances from the give and go than it is by trying to deke five players.

There is no doubt he has talent though - more than once he DID deke through every player on the other team...he has some moves and quickness that few junior players have, and he'll only get better playing under Groulx. He came a long way this past season.

Reports on him last summer were that he was a chain smoking orphan with bad habits and a bad attitude - but Groulx is getting him turned around, and he thinks Reway will be playing in the NHL by age 21.

Rikiki Bousquet

Oct 3, 2012
You were amazed by his hockey sense every time? That is actually one of his biggest question marks. Bit of a pond hockey player...for too often tried to do it all himself instead of passing to teammates.

I saw Reway play more than 20 times live..and there were games when he never passed the puck. Too his credit, and Ben Groulx, by the playoffs he was starting to figure that out..that it's easier to get scoring chances from the give and go than it is by trying to deke five players.

There is no doubt he has talent though - more than once he DID deke through every player on the other team...he has some moves and quickness that few junior players have, and he'll only get better playing under Groulx. He came a long way this past season.

Reports on him last summer were that he was a chain smoking orphan with bad habits and a bad attitude - but Groulx is getting him turned around, and he thinks Reway will be playing in the NHL by age 21.

Well, Grant, by every time I saw him I didn't mean to say that I've watched every single game he played. I watched dozens of his Q games and all of his games with Slovakia this year.

But, in the games I saw, he always seemed to caught my eye.

As for his hockey sense, I always thought he had it in him even though he wasn't showing it on a constant basis. In many of my viewings he did make quick, crisp passes to teammates who chocked the receptions or who weren't seeing the game as fast as he was. It wasn't his best attribute, but, when he did pass, I thought he could easily become better in this part of his game.

His selfishness might be due to many factors that include low hockey IQ, bad attitude, etc. But I think it is not that farfetched to think that he might become much more if he resolve some of his problems, as the last sentences of your post seem to indicate. He has it in him, he just needs to put it all together, which is a whole other story.

All in all, I just think he's a really decent pick at 116th overall. Taking him involves some risks, sure, but also he's also a guy that was over PPG this season and postseason while doing really good in his U 18 tournament. Just a solid bet, in my eyes.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I can't wait to see what this kid does next year. Thanks for the update, Grant.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Why no? Both Bergevin and Timmins said he was on their list.

I don't think you publically say you don't have your franchise player's brother on your draft list. It was a PR move. We won't know unless we had a candid conversation with Timmins.

Anyways, the reason I said no is because this is the Reway thread and I have no idea why he is mentioning Subban in here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad