Habs draft Logan Mailloux - Part 3 (MOD post#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
So..

Bergevin has something on Molson.. or Molson is in on whatever they are covering up.

Beegevin drafts Mailloux to take the heat off Chicago..

they are basically using Mailloux as a pawn..

(Mod)

People are so ducking blind and naive to think this whole scandal has ANYTHING to do with Logan Mailloux himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: otto bond

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Well... this is pretty hilarious! LOL

Montreal Canadiens Logan Mailloux 2021 Reverse Retro Blue Jersey 2021 NHL Draft

Best part:
Features

Proudly say welcome home and give your team's new member Logan Mailloux a big hug by sporting this 2021 NHL Draft Logan Mailloux Canadien Blue 2021 Reverse Retro Jersey. Stunning team graphics adorn the front and back of this jersey prints the player's name and new number, so people will see that you mean business.

Reactions: 26Mats

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
I think the NHL was worried about precedent.

If they let a player disqualify themselves from the draft, what happens the next time there's a Lindros type who doesn't want to go to Phoenix or wherever? They don't want to give any player the ability to turn it down.

Yet it's never really been a problem in the NFL or the NBA, it does happen that a player won't declare but it's not really an epidemic of players not wanting to go to bad teams.

Not woke

Mar 21, 2017
USA
I have an interesting question for you guys.

We're not arguing he was wrong to distribute the picture. What if we learned tomorrow that the girl had an OnlyFans profile and actually charged money for people to access sexualized content of her? What would you think about this story?

I'm getting to a point, keep reading

Once again, we're not arguing that he was wrong to do what he did, at the end of the day, especially when it comes to intimate content we should have control over what is out there. His actions were despicable and I personally believe that the Habs ( and Bergevin knew other NHL teams had him on their 'must draft' list) should have let him be.

But hear me out

A few years ago, Jagr was blackmailed by a model who threatened to release pictures of him in a 'compromised' position in bed with her (she was 18) that she had taken while he was asleep. Jagr told her ( or those who were shopping the pictures) to do wtf she wanted and there was no second thought by anyone in or out of the NHL ...

It even became a meme, a bleeping hashtag #JagrSelfie ...

No one thought about Jagr's feelings right ? It was all 'good for him' and 'damn ... he banging across generations' .

Consequences to the blackmailer = Zero

So think about it, is our outrage right now a product of a social narrative? a gender driven one ?

I'm really asking you guys, I'm interested in your perspective.

w97cLrne_ovTq6cqAcq15iC0_7M5jesyQCvsP2mXISc.jpg
Interesting... I think this highlights the power differential (sexual mating strategies) between men and women..

She is perceiving this as a woman would.. Putting herself in his shoes (so to speak)...

If she thought of things from his perspective, she would realize that a man of his age (end of career, financially set for life) and status (single, good looking athlete type) could care less, and might even feel proud of the publicity... Like, "hey, I can get with 18 year old models, I'm livin' the life"... This is what males could think

This woman was/is a fool, and she got played by the player.

iirc his career was affected by this, as in certain teams didn't want to deal with him after this..

The Logan case is different in that he has the power, he is the athlete at the beginning of his (conceivably lucrative) career. He is recording sexual acts without her knowledge for the sole purpose of bragging to his buddies on Snap. He is not blackmailing her, he is getting props from his friends at HER expense... And, sharing her social media so everyone knows who she is.

fwiw... Men, please be mindful when you are in the act with women you don't know.. I've had casual male friends ask me to record myself with other men and share with them.. lol, apparently this is a thing... First thing I thought was, "hmmmm I'd have to record them without them knowing..nope..too exploitative, too disgusting, too dangerous, too deplorable, etc.."

When I told this male friend that I couldn't do this because of having to deceive another, he just shrugged his shoulders like... it's okay with me if it's okay with you..

Not okay at all

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Yet it's never really been a problem in the NFL or the NBA, it does happen that a player won't declare but it's not really an epidemic of players not wanting to go to bad teams.
Wouldn’t it just need to be approved by the commissioner? I can’t imagine he would’ve stepped in here

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
If Habs decide not to sign Mailloux they will get a 2nd round compensatory Pick.

Compensatory Picks: If a team does not sign their first-round pick within two years, they will be awarded a compensatory pick in the Draft immediately following. The pick will be in the 2nd round, equal to the selection number of the unsigned player. All other teams' selections move back one spot.

NHL Draft Rules | Lines.com

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Pretty sure most folks blame the org for being culturally tone-deaf and still think the kid has to rehab and should be allowed to prove he redeemed himself. My gf for example finds the kid’s crime rather benign but is disgusted with the org. If you make money in the entertainment business exploiting public figures like athletes, and your marketing is to raise them to hero/star status, you are accountable for who you promote that way. The athletes themselves are a pure, marketed product in that context. Mailloux the human obviously deserves a chance, these ideas are not at all incompatible.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I mean, we're talking about a defenceman who barely ever played at a level hundreds of players in their draft year have found success in. He might end up being really good, but there's no objective basis to call him BPA or the slam dunk pick at that range. He has tools but has never used them at an appropriate level for his current age, much less the jump required for pros. Doesn't mean it can't happen but it can't be presented at a once in years opportunity the way a Caufield was.

drafting is not a science or predictive. However, he was on many scouts lists the BPA. I also would be shocked if he wasn’t the BPA on Timmin’s list. Why would the Habs have taken this pick if in some way he wasn’t the BPA (for at least a PMD)?

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
And I wouldn't expect anything but a deflection from you. Atonement... amends..... catsup... ketchup. Whatever.

17 year old brains aren't fully developed. Great. He still knew what he was doing. There's no excuse here. I don't care about brain scans....

Stupid thing to do. Malicious thing to do. Totally agree that people should be pissed about drafting him. Shouldn't have happened. Not good for him or us.

That being said, he at least asked to not be drafted. That's a step in the right direction. And I hope he keeps his nose clean and leads a great life going forward. As I said earlier, if he does this it'll be forgotten.

Inside the teenage brain
Adolescence is a time of significant growth and development inside the teenage brain.
The main change is that unused connections in the thinking and processing part of your child’s brain (called the grey matter) are ‘pruned’ away. At the same time, other connections are strengthened. This is the brain’s way of becoming more efficient, based on the ‘use it or lose it’ principle.
This pruning process begins in the back of the brain. The front part of the brain, the prefrontal cortex, is remodelled last. The prefrontal cortex is the decision-making part of the brain, responsible for your child’s ability to plan and think about the consequences of actions, solve problems and control impulses. Changes in this part of the brain continue into early adulthood.
Because the prefrontal cortex is still developing, teenagers might rely on a part of the brain called the amygdala to make decisions and solve problems more than adults do. The amygdala is associated with emotions, impulses, aggression and instinctive behaviour.

https://raisingchildren.net.au/pre-...tanding-your-pre-teen/brain-development-teens

I think a lot of ppl have forgotten how stupid they were as teens, and how many risks they took.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Interesting, although I don't understand how a 2nd round pick can be equal to the selection number of the unsigned player if that player was selected in the first round.

I believe it means if 1st pick was 31st then 2nd round position would be 2nd round 31st.

Reactions: Frankenheimer

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
I think we are mixing two completely different things here in the discussion.

1- How we see the action of a 17 yrs old boy in regards to how he treated this girl.

2- How we perceive the gesture of the Montreal Canadiens picking this guy in the first round despite his past.

Of course you can say that both are now linked, but to me the questionnable part of the discussion is #2.

If we remove that part, we got a minor playing junior hockey who did something really stupid. Obviously he regrets it and asked not to be drafted. I think people deserve a second chance, and all considered, we are not talking about a violent rape here.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I think we are mixing two completely different things here in the discussion.

1- How we see the action of a 17 yrs old boy in regards to how he treated this girl.

2- How we perceive the gesture of the Montreal Canadiens picking this guy in the first round despite his past.

Of course you can say that both are now linked, but to me the questionnable part of the discussion is #2.

If we remove that part, we got a minor playing junior hockey who did something really stupid. Obviously he regrets it and asked not to be drafted. I think people deserve a second chance, and all considered, we are not talking about a violent rape here.

What has been repeatedly been pointed out is that he's still on his first chance. There have been no professional repercussions for this actions. That has been one of the points of contention, especially if there is an interest in establishing a deterrent for this type of behaviour in the future.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I'm getting tired of this thread near the top of our board all the time now.

giphy.gif
Sorry, not getting over it and nor should anyone, ever. Conversing about it as respectful adults is important. Way more than that piece of rubber they fight over. I hope this convo stays current to infinity. Is there a ignore thread button you could use? Thank goodness this mammoth-brained industry is being held accountable for what it endorses - they make money by creating stars.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sorry, not getting over it and nor should anyone, ever. Conversing about it as respectful adults is important. Way more than that piece of rubber they fight over. I hope this convo stays current to infinity. Is there a ignore thread button you could use? Thank goodness this mammoth-brained industry is being held accountable for what it endorses - they make money by creating stars.

This
giphy.gif

Or This :sarcasm:
giphy.gif

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
The "underdeveloped 17 year-old peanut brain who doesn't understand the consequences of his actions" theory that has been put forth makes no sense to me. All adolescents, as all children, and even animals, respond to rules if the consequences are clear and if the punishments are unambiguously imposed.

This doesn't mean people won't break the rules, because they do so even if the punishment is death, but the idea, in principle, is to establish a clear set of consequences for certain behaviour to discourage people from doing that behaviour in the future, even if they have underdeveloped peanut brains. People as a whole respond well to rules, laws and consequences, even if they don't fully understand them or even agree with those rules. I don't really care if a teenager understands the stupidity of their actions, although that is an added bonus, I only care that they don't do that stupid immoral thing.

That is the main reason people have an issue with this pick. It sends an ambiguous message to the future Logan Mailloux's and therefore does not advance the interest of minimizing the chances of this outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad