Weekes: Habs discussing multi-year extension with Jake Allen

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No one needs a goalie though....maybe Vegas?
They definitely need a goalie but one that's better than Allen. Varlamov makes the most sense.

I just don’t see it. He’s not good enough to overcome his stature. I wouldn’t waste the contract on him. Frankly I’m surprised Vancouver qualified him
Agreed Dipietro is really not very good. Was brutal on the 67s. Too small, not that good technically. Overrated in general.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Why bother signing Allen?
Should just flip him at the deadline and sign a ufa stop gap
Because maybe they like him already as a stop gap and they feel the value he would bring on easing Primeau in for the next ~3 years is greater than the 2nd or 3rd pick they would get at the deadline

Reactions: CDN24

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I'm not sure that the return on Allen is worth trading for. He is a good vet and still contributes. If they sign him to a decent price and term, why not.

Reactions: CDN24

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I'm not sure that the return on Allen is worth trading for. He is a good vet and still contributes. If they sign him to a decent price and term, why not.
Agreed. Goalie returns are minimal at deadline as they are usually insurance policies so maybe a 3rd round pick a second if someone loses a starter to injury and is desperate but even then you need 2 bidders. Habs Have lots of picks and prospects in the range you get with a 2nd 3rd pick. heck there reserve list of unsigned guys has 10 guys drafted in the 1st 3 rounds. the 50 contract limit becomes an issue at some point. Plus you have other pieces to potentially move at deadline and retain on (Dandonov, Drouin, Monahan etc)

Reactions: smirob

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Could be that they just inquire to know what he'd bee looking for to resign. They can then take the decision to trade him or not depending on what he's looking for in $ and term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad