Prospect Info: Habs Development Camp 2014

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
It's nice to see Sekac did well but in NHL relative terms, he was playing against kids. He should have looked the best and he did. I'll be very interested to see what he looks like against real NHL players.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Swedish papers are saying that Montreal said that JDLR would be better off with a year in Sweden if he doesn't make NHL. Is this really true? I would think playing in NA would be best for him.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Swedish papers are saying that Montreal said that JDLR would be better off with a year in Sweden if he doesn't make NHL. Is this really true? I would think playing in NA would be best for him.

Since DLR can play in the AHL and could be one of the first call ups, I highly doubt he goes back home. Unless he's a fancy princess like Nygren and can't handle hostile and violent Hamilton.

Last edited:

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Since DLR can play in the AHL and could be one of the first call ups, I highly doubts he goes back home. Unless he's a fancy princess like Nygren and can't take handle in hostile and violent Hamilton.

Good, I highly doubt it aswell, just seemed like a wierd statement. He wouldn't even be in the top 6 in Sweden.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
It's nice to see Sekac did well but in NHL relative terms, he was playing against kids. He should have looked the best and he did. I'll be very interested to see what he looks like against real NHL players.

A lot of the players in camp were 20-23 years of age, and Sekac just turned 22. Bennett, MacMillan, Beaulieu, Didier, Thomas, Andrighetto, Holland, Ellis, Fournier etc. along with the college FA's are all close to his age if not older.

Sekac performed well against players in their 20's, 30's and 40's all season in the KHL, so it's not like all he's ever done is perform well against "kids".

That said...one shouldn't put too much stock in the rookie camp, you aren't incorrect in that assertion, but it's certainly better that he looked good than average or poor.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Dan Kramer ‏@DanKramerHabs 7m
Don't mean to speculate, but two #Habs on ELCs were left off Dev Camp last year: Kristo & Lefebvre. Both traded within days. #WheresTinordi?

So is Tinordi getting traded for a possible top-6 forward?

Now that's the definition of a "reach". Tinordi was not invited to rookie camp because most 2010 first round picks not in college are past that stage. He has been to several..he knows how to train and behave in the offseason (he's as dedicated as any prospect)..nothing to do with being shopped. Unlike Kristo and Lefebvre..Tinordi is a valued prospect who will feel a much needed role in the future.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
One thing that I feel is important to keep in mind with Sekac is that he played in North-America in 2009 and 2010 ( 96 games in the USHL and 8 games in the OHL) . The adjustment period , both on and off ice, will probably be very short in his case.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Sekac said he hadn't skated in about a month and a half before the camp. That he really wasn't at the top of his game and that when the real camp starts he should be in much better condition.
So it's good to know he still did well despite not even being at the top of his game.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Sekac said he hadn't skated in about a month and a half before the camp. That he really wasn't at the top of his game and that when the real camp starts he should be in much better condition.
So it's good to know he still did well despite not even being at the top of his game.

Motivated Sekac with a 6 week camp = new UFC light heavyweight champion of the world.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

Now that's the definition of a "reach". Tinordi was not invited to rookie camp because most 2010 first round picks not in college are past that stage. He has been to several..he knows how to train and behave in the offseason (he's as dedicated as any prospect)..nothing to do with being shopped. Unlike Kristo and Lefebvre..Tinordi is a valued prospect who will feel a much needed role in the future.

Agreed. This is a message of encouragement for Tinordi I believe....the organization is basically saying...in our eyes...you're a mature NHL ready player.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Sekac [...] hadn't skated in about a month and a half before the camp [...] wasn't at the top of his game [...] and [...] should be in much better condition.
So [...] not [...] at the top of his game.

What a bum... Trade this guy already! :sarcasm:

habsrock76

Sep 21, 2006
Ottawa

I'm interested to know your thoughts on Tinordi's projected upside, every time I watch him play I keep thinking he's gonna be Ryan O'Byrne 2.0

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
Hobbit days are definitively behind us:

"Of the 50 players invited to the Habs’ suburban practice facility this week, only 10 are under six feet (and four of those players are listed at 5 foot 11). All of the 17 defencemen in camp are six feet or taller, and only four are lighter than the NHL average weight of 203.1 pounds."

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I'm interested to know your thoughts on Tinordi's projected upside, every time I watch him play I keep thinking he's gonna be Ryan O'Byrne 2.0

Not sure they compare at all, Tinordi is a better skater (even though O'Byrne was a pretty good skater himself for his size), is meaner and IMO already better than O'Byrne ever was in his zone. O'Byrne was, I think, a better passer, but overall, he had all the tools, but no real toolbox, whereas Tinordi will be a defensive defenseman first and foremost.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Not sure they compare at all, Tinordi is a better skater (even though O'Byrne was a pretty good skater himself for his size), is meaner and IMO already better than O'Byrne ever was in his zone. O'Byrne was, I think, a better passer, but overall, he had all the tools, but no real toolbox, whereas Tinordi will be a defensive defenseman first and foremost.

To put it in broadcast jargon, Tinordi's "compete level" is much higher than O'Byrne. Guys with that sort of player profile are made or broken by two things:
1. Hockey sense
2. Compete level

Tinordi wins on both fronts.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site

Jiri Sekac !

From these highlights at dev camp, he seems to have good stick handling, NHL speed, some good boardwork. Passes in the skates on 2 occasions (funny as it IS a highlight clip).

Seems NHL ready. I see a bit of Max Pac in his game.

Nice hands, but NOT NHL speed. He needs to work on his acceleration big time.

ome power skating this summer? Let's hope so.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Nice hands, but NOT NHL speed. He needs to work on his acceleration big time.

ome power skating this summer? Let's hope so.

I've seen him up close. He does have NHL speed. Now...blazing top speedster in the NHL? Of course not. But tons of players in the NHL skates like him. And it doesn't affect them. Room for improvement? Sure..just like for everybody aside from the top players.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal

Are you serious? I feel quite the opposite. I see Josh Gorges defensively in a year or two, but with a lot more physicality. Too early to judge any leadership upside and any offensive upside I'd expect in the latter part of his career, but to me he has top 4-5 dman written all over him.

I have always been pleased with the pick though. I think he's a keeper.

Exactly. He's already equal or better to O'Byrne in most areas and has the ability to have a true designated role on a club, he just needs to mature. Very happy about this prospect :)

I've seen him up close. He does have NHL speed. Now...blazing top speedster in the NHL? Of course not. But tons of players in the NHL skates like him. And it doesn't affect them. Room for improvement? Sure..just like for everybody aside from the top players.

As far as I heard he (Sekac) wasn't even in skating shape either. People need to give him a bit of a buffer to get to 100%. By the main camp he should be.

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal

Can't stand that Dan Kramer guy. Used to follow him on twitter until I realized his ego was in the clouds.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
Are you serious? I feel quite the opposite. I see Josh Gorges defensively in a year or two, but with a lot more physicality. Too early to judge any leadership upside and any offensive upside I'd expect in the latter part of his career, but to me he has top 4-5 dman written all over him.

I have always been pleased with the pick though. I think he's a keeper.

I'm pretty sure he's been a leader everywhere he's played.

jTinordi325-3.jpg

1334416487-london-knights-defeat-saginaw-spirit-in-overtime_1156471.jpg

And if memory serves me, he was an alternate captain in Hamilton at some point as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad