Prospect Info: Habs Development Camp 2014

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Koberstein is actually a Euro Detroit type of pick. A unknown guy that the team takes care of in the anonymity, work with him and then pick him. If it works out, we would have to acknowledge our scouting group clairvoyance. If it doesn't....well I guess it happens. But they would have gone way too far while other more evident candidates were there. Still, at this moment, you need to have full confidence on our scouting group. You don't go that much out of your way if there's absolutely nothing to work with. And frankly, only based on that one scrimmage, there is something to work with here.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
Better late than never as they say, thanks for the report ! :handclap:What did you think of Hudon ? Sounds like he had a great game along with his linemates Big Mac and Scherbak.

Oh yeah...Hudon!

I love that kid. Really sneaky...Quietly finds a way to control the pace out there.

What I've always liked about Hudon is how chippy and irritating he is to play against. I think he will do better at main camp this year when he is playing against real opponents.

Both he & De La Rose are guys that play better as the intensity ramps up. Good guys to have in the system.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
Koberstein is actually a Euro Detroit type of pick. A unknown guy that the team takes care of in the anonymity, work with him and then pick him. If it works out, we would have to acknowledge our scouting group clairvoyance. If it doesn't....well I guess it happens. But they would have gone way too far while other more evident candidates were there. Still, at this moment, you need to have full confidence on our scouting group. You don't go that much out of your way if there's absolutely nothing to work with. And frankly, only based on that one scrimmage, there is something to work with here.

absolutely...I can see why the staff likes him. They have plenty of time with him and he is big and tough and is a RHS....his poise & puck skills seem fine also... Like with all these kids the learning curve is the most important thing.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

The one thing that bugs me is his commitment to Alaska Fairbanks. Even though some NHLers did come out of there it's just not a program that has produced a lot of pro caliber players in it's history. I would have been more comfortable with him going to Anchorage or out of the WCHA entirely if possible to be frank. But choosing the right school environment is super important and I do understand he probably based his choice , with his family, on a lot of factors that are outside of the hockey realm.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
That's funny cause Dustin Walsh and Joe Stejskal were at our rookie camps multiple times and even to main camp (very shortly) at least one each.

What's funny is why would you make such a remark since you know that I follow and go to every single camp...pretty sure I know this. So not only Walsh and Stejskal...but Gleed...O'Byrne...Kristo and a few others went to both the rookie and the dev. camp. While some didn't, 'cause they decided not to pay their expenses, others did. So yes, pretty sure I know this.

Which is pretty much NOT what I was referring to. We are talking about the "INVITATIONS" here. So those guys you're talking about are draftees....so they do have some kind of attachment to the team and would not mind paying their expenses for some of them. Yet...why would invitations would if they are call back? They are still just invitations. Not good enough to be drafted. Not good enough to earn a contract after a dev. camp. Why would they pay their expenses without any guarantees? What about not going....concentrating on their school....maybe be drafted the next year....or earning a contract with a better season instead of paying the expenses to a rookie camp that still might not end up with a contract?

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
The one thing that bugs me is his commitment to Alaska Fairbanks. Even though some NHLers did come out of there it's just not a program that has produced a lot of pro caliber players in it's history. I would have been more comfortable with him going to Anchorage or out of the WCHA entirely if possible to be frank. But choosing the right school environment is super important and I do understand he probably based his choice , with his family, on a lot of factors that are outside of the hockey realm.

Seemed that there was an opening for him to go Juniors....I would love to see that....but I don't see it as clearly the Habs management WANTS that 2014 draft to be a big time development draft. They seem to WANT 5 years out of Hawkey and Koberstein.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Seemed that there was an opening for him to go Juniors....I would love to see that....but I don't see it as clearly the Habs management WANTS that 2014 draft to be a big time development draft. They seem to WANT 5 years out of Hawkey and Koberstein.

Yeah Timmins and Bergy did mention it a bunch of times, their minds seem to be pretty set about it. They certainly know a lot more about these two that I do so for the time being I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that one. I'd like to see Koberstein take the WHL route too, if only because It would allow me to maybe see him on TV a few times and to keep a better eye on him. ;)

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
That's the strangest comparison I've seen for Andrighetto so far. Don't really see it myself.

I think the Martin Erat comparison was worse......at least Plekanec is closer in size and relies on his skating as his main asset. I would argue that there were plenty of similarities in Plekanec's game at the sam age as Ghetto.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I think the Martin Erat comparison was worse......at least Plekanec is closer in size and relies on his skating as his main asset. I would argue that there were plenty of similarities in Plekanec's game at the sam age as Ghetto.
Erat is a shifty skater, is not considerably bigger than Andrighetto (6'0 vs 5'9) and both players will never been known for their incredible two way game. Both players also play on the wing where their strong side is good for a shot.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

The fact that his team will be weaker may enable him to have an important role he wouldn't have in higher grade universities.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
That's the strangest comparison I've seen for Andrighetto so far. Don't really see it myself.

Not trying to be argumentative, but did you see Plekanec play in the AHL?

Him & Balej were lights out. The reason I compare the two is that Plekanec was great at carrying the puck up the ice and had great speed and a nice amount of grit...it took Plekanec a while to become such a great defensive player. When he was younger he was more offensive and more explosive, he became more well rounded as he gained pro experience.

Last edited:

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Aside from Thomas, I don't really get the feeling there are many snipers. He has the best shot out of the forwards. Lots of play makers but not to many finishers.

Just keep in mind Pacioretty was never a goal scorer outside of high school. When he was drafted out of the USHL, through his time at Michigan, and early in his pro career, he was always labeled as a playmaker. Now because of who he plays with and the roles he's adopted and his lethal shot, people see him as a sniper. Given different circumstances (linemates), I'd bet his playmaking could become a more prominent part of his game given the type of player he always was. But, players develop. We can't hope for them all to develop like Pacioretty, but I have a feeling a few guys from the current crop will pleasantly surprise people.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Erat is a shifty skater, is not considerably bigger than Andrighetto (6'0 vs 5'9) and both players will never been known for their incredible two way game. Both players also play on the wing where their strong side is good for a shot.

6'0 is considerably larger than 5'9.......Ghetto is definitely faster and plays much more of a north/south up tempo game than Erat's east/west slow the game down style.

Almost no similarities between the two....

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Him & Balej were lights out. The reason I compare the two is that Plekanec was great at carrying the puck up the ice and had great speed and a nice amount of grit...it took Plekanec a while to become such a great defensive player. When he was younger he was more offensive and more explosive, he became more well rounded as he gained pro experience.

Completely agree

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

I didn't watch him play in the AHL. BUT! I looked at his Hockey DB profile, to brush up on his AHL career, as I was quite young. Busy with the girls, I regret nothing! But I tend to agree that he certainly looked pretty lights out. We should really unleash the plekanecs again, he is a class act and needs the players to play with. Sekac?

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Nikita Sherbak
Hey I saw the scrimmages this past week. I must say the Sherbak kid is really big. He looks alot like Alex Galchenyuk but bigger. I don't think he's as skilled as Galchenyuk but has hockey sense for sure. I don't think he plays like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins at all.

Sherbak looks like a prototype powerforward with speed, the closest player I can think of is Artem Anisimov. Sherbak is a capable 40-60 point player maybe a 30 goal scorer if developed right. 2-3 years away from ready.

Mike McCarron
I notice him on the ice every time, not because he's physical, or plays with skills, only because he's the biggest kid. I'm a bit disappointed with BigMac so far. He' seems to be out of position and is way head of the play, example in the defensive zone Mac is almost close the center ice looking for a breakaway while he left the left side wide open, the defense couldn't move the puck to that side the defense passes to the right resulting in turnover. I don't think McCarron is a top 6 forward, if he wants to make the NHL it's gonna be bottom 9 and he needs to learn to play defensively. 3-4 years away from ready.

Daniel Audette
I'm impress with his attitude, looks like he gives 100% every time he's on the ice. He needs to play a pesty game, I see a little Brad Marchaud with less offense. it too early to tell.

Jacob De La Rose
This kid is very smooth, he skates very well like a figure skater, he knows where to be and does not look lost at all. The problem is his hockey sense, when he skates with the puck in a straight line it looks good but when he stick handles it like he doesn't really have control of it. Remember Patrick Poulin? Not as bad but not that much better.

Jir Seka
I think he isn't that special, he doesn't look lost, he's strong on the puck and skates very well. I don't know if he'll be a top 6 forward, he could be a solid 3rd line winger. I think he's got the best shot to make the team but won't be the savior. The kid reminds me of a former colorado player rene corbet.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Jacob De La Rose
This kid is very smooth, he skates very well like a figure skater, he knows where to be and does not look lost at all. The problem is his hockey sense, when he skates with the puck in a straight line it looks good but when he stick handles it like he doesn't really have control of it. Remember Patrick Poulin? Not as bad but not that much better.

Ewwwwww...... hopefully you're wrong there, pal.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Thanks to so many of you for your great reports and time (really really wish I could be there). So many of you...here are a few to thank (below)...cheers!!!:

Nikita Sherbak
Hey I saw the scrimmages this past week.....
....rene corbet.

I know it's a bit late, but here are my thoughts on the players I saw at the camp. ....
.....let me know if you want to know anything about a player I didn't cover

So here's how I saw today's game. Seem to me that it was more about the experience than anything else....
...Good looking game with nice speed and great rhythm. Oh and Habs fans are crazy. I've been to all of the dev camps and rookie camps...and I've never seen so many people....and this without any weekend days.....We are crazy.

I was there. My preliminary observations....game.

I was there today, here are my thoughts
.... Cheers!

-------------------------------- -----------------------------------------

thanks for all the reports :yo:

place was packed!

BsReQIFCQAAf-0z.jpg

Thanks for the nice pic!! Cheers!!

Last edited:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Just keep in mind Pacioretty was never a goal scorer outside of high school. When he was drafted out of the USHL, through his time at Michigan, and early in his pro career, he was always labeled as a playmaker. Now because of who he plays with and the roles he's adopted and his lethal shot, people see him as a sniper. Given different circumstances (linemates), I'd bet his playmaking could become a more prominent part of his game given the type of player he always was. But, players develop. We can't hope for them all to develop like Pacioretty, but I have a feeling a few guys from the current crop will pleasantly surprise people.

As one of the big fans for drafting Maxpac at the time, I know his path quite well. Maxpac was a goal scorer in high school, just one with a low accuracy. Anyone could see his shot, he was just not putting it in/on the net that often. If I remember correctly what Timmins said at the time, he was talking about Max shot. I don't see when he was ever labeled as a playmaker(at least never by the staff), the end result of him becoming a sniper was self-evident and all he needed was someone like Cole to show him how to position on the ice effectively with his body type.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Ewwwwww...... hopefully you're wrong there, pal.

I don't think he is wrong unfortunately, I have no clue where the hype is coming from for De La Rose. Must be because he is big, fast and good defensively, but he never showed much of anything else. Jacob might be a good Moen in his prime. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Nikita Sherbak
Hey I saw the scrimmages this past week. I must say the Sherbak kid is really big. He looks alot like Alex Galchenyuk but bigger. I don't think he's as skilled as Galchenyuk but has hockey sense for sure. I don't think he plays like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins at all.

Sherbak looks like a prototype powerforward with speed, the closest player I can think of is Artem Anisimov. Sherbak is a capable 40-60 point player maybe a 30 goal scorer if developed right. 2-3 years away from ready.

Mike McCarron
I notice him on the ice every time, not because he's physical, or plays with skills, only because he's the biggest kid. I'm a bit disappointed with BigMac so far. He' seems to be out of position and is way head of the play, example in the defensive zone Mac is almost close the center ice looking for a breakaway while he left the left side wide open, the defense couldn't move the puck to that side the defense passes to the right resulting in turnover. I don't think McCarron is a top 6 forward, if he wants to make the NHL it's gonna be bottom 9 and he needs to learn to play defensively. 3-4 years away from ready.

Daniel Audette
I'm impress with his attitude, looks like he gives 100% every time he's on the ice. He needs to play a pesty game, I see a little Brad Marchaud with less offense. it too early to tell.

Jacob De La Rose

Jir Seka
I think he isn't that special, he doesn't look lost, he's strong on the puck and skates very well. I don't know if he'll be a top 6 forward, he could be a solid 3rd line winger. I think he's got the best shot to make the team but won't be the savior. The kid reminds me of a former colorado player rene corbet.

I have seen Audette play since he was 8 y.o., and that comparisson is spot on. Pretty much all the way to midget AAA, he was the top hockey player at his age in Quebec, and he has ALWAYS had a nasty side. At time his attitude has been an issue, but the kid is a clutch player. Will he make it ?, realy too early to tell, but the kid is used to play against much bigger guys, and through out his amateur time, being picked on has always seemed to motivate him.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't think he is wrong unfortunately, I have no clue where the hype is coming from for De La Rose. Must be because he is big, fast and good defensively, but he never showed much of anything else. Jacob might be a good Moen in his prime. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Since as a 19 years old he showed similar scoring as Moen, but in a way better league (WHL vs SHL), I'm optimistic he'll be at worst a 25-point Moen, which is better than Prime Moen. Can always bust, of course, but I doubt it at that point.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
If Audette would of been drafted by anybody else than Sherbrooke there's no way in hell he would of been available in the 4th round. My only eish for this kid is to ve traded so that he can stop being a 1-man show.
I'll go as far as saying that if he was to get traded before the season starts, it's a 100 point season next year AT THE VERY LEAST. Kid had almost 30 points more than anybody on his team as a 17 year old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad