Prospect Info: Habs Development Camp 2014

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
As one of the big fans for drafting Maxpac at the time, I know his path quite well. Maxpac was a goal scorer in high school, just one with a low accuracy. Anyone could see his shot, he was just not putting it in/on the net that often. If I remember correctly what Timmins said at the time, he was talking about Max shot. I don't see when he was ever labeled as a playmaker(at least never by the staff), the end result of him becoming a sniper was self-evident and all he needed was someone like Cole to show him how to position on the ice effectively with his body type.

I've followed him since his days at Taft as well, and back then we didn't get as much info from the organization on prospects as we do now, but the consensus (from scouting reports that were available) was that Pacioretty was a ''playmaking powerforward'', kind of the same label McCarron has right now. My point was perceptions of players change over time.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
If Audette would of been drafted by anybody else than Sherbrooke there's no way in hell he would of been available in the 4th round. My only eish for this kid is to ve traded so that he can stop being a 1-man show.
I'll go as far as saying that if he was to get traded before the season starts, it's a 100 point season next year AT THE VERY LEAST. Kid had almost 30 points more than anybody on his team as a 17 year old.

He had actually 32 points more than his nearest teammate (76 vs. 44). :laugh:

That team was so bad that it might be dubious to extrapolate, but it would be interesting to see him with a better team, indeed.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I know it's a bit late, but here are my thoughts on the players I saw at the camp. I was only able to go to the scrimmage this year, so it's a very small sample...still here goes:

Christian Thomas:

-More polished than most other kids out there.
-Playmaking has improved.
-finds ways to make compact plays that create offense
-stick handling and speed have improved.
-great combination of offensive instincts and straight away hockey.

BUT....can he find a way to make space for him self in the NHL? My bet is yes...should be in the group of players still around at the end of main camp fighting for the last job.

Mike McCarron

-Still catching to to him frame and has trouble especially marking guys in the D zone.
-Hands & feet are very good, but twists and change directions seem to take need adjustment.
-Much more comfortable in the O zone...get's shots away and goes to the net.
-If this guy can learn to play the pro game he will be a HUGE nightmare to play against.
-The kind of player that can turn a game around with one or two shifts because he is just so big and dangerous in the offensive zone.
-The kind of player that will be better in the second half and even better in a 7 game series.

NEEDS TIME - BE PATIENT

Jacob De La Rose

-Great frame, great speed, plays a North South game.
-Very responsible defensively. Seems very close to being ready.
-Does not have great hands or imagination. A power winger with skill.
My guess is he will go to Hamilton but will play some NHL games this year.

Jack Nevins

-Works his butt off...hits and makes it hard...
Not this year, but good to have these guys in the system

Mac Bennett

-less flashy than before....learning to play a more simple game
-has Josh Gorges size....
-mobility is great, has nice hands and offense...but plays a D first game.
Should fight for a spot in Hamilton...too bad he's not 6-2

Sekac

-Another North South power winger with skill.
-Looks great....but not that much better than Thomas, Ghetto, De La Rose....good news we have options

Ghetto

-small but skilled...has lots of mojo
-Plays the game hard and challenges the D
-Shift & sneaky on D...

The next T.Plekanec? Reminds me of him when he was that age....but a lot would have to go right.

Josiah Didier

-Huge wide frame
-SOOOOO much better at handling the puck now
-Still a long shot, but there is time...
-Plays a mean simple game, hits hard....quietly takes care of business....keep an eye on him

Koberstein

-Big & solid
-didn't look out of place at all...
-Definitely looked better than the undrafted Dmen his age.
-Has a long way to go...but who knows

Lernout

-Big & very strong and agressive
-Mean D-man...doesn't like getting beat...
-was trying to do too much...wasn't used to playing against such good competition

Audette

-Nice skill & poise
-I was impressed with how good he looked considering this is his 1st camp...
-will he have enough skill? Definitely has the instincts...

Scherbak

-This kid is the real deal...skill, size, speed...
-Makes the game look easy, needs to get stronger and learn the pro game
-In my eyes he & McCarron are the best "prospects" that I saw....both have huge upside.

Holland

-Just plays good hockey...makes the right plays and get's things done.
-Not flashy, not big....but plays a great pro game...
-might be too vanilla for the NHL....still he is a hell of a player

Macmillan
-hard worker, plays that college style
-will make a good pro....will need to keep improving...

K those are the main guys I think....

I wouldn't be surprised if the Habs didn't sign many of the tryouts...

done for now let me know if you want to know anything about a player I didn't cover

You fellows lucky to be able to take in these things. I live a thousand miles away, never get the chance. Probably best thing because i'd likely die of heart attack on the spot. Just the sheer shock of being in awe. I've never been to NHL caliber rink before nor met NHL player

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Any news on Darren Dietz ? Hes made it on our top prospect list, yet I havent read anything on him, but last time I saw him play I was very enthusiast about his NHL upside. Reminded me of Ron Hainsey.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Any news on Darren Dietz ? Hes made it on our top prospect list, yet I havent read anything on him, but last time I saw him play I was very enthusiast about his NHL upside. Reminded me of Ron Hainsey.

He was injured most of this season, may be injured again.

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
He was injured most of this season, may be injured again.

Eww hopefully hes recovering well this summer, I thought he was next down the pipeline after Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn. Expected him to get good looks as soon as after next year with increased responsibilities with Hamilton this year.

Smooth skating, strong first pass, good physical atributes, hopefully he makes it. Strong asset at D for the Habs.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Seemed that there was an opening for him to go Juniors....I would love to see that....but I don't see it as clearly the Habs management WANTS that 2014 draft to be a big time development draft. They seem to WANT 5 years out of Hawkey and Koberstein.

Thanks for all your reports...I look forward to your perspective.
Do you think Hawkey has a shot at the USA WJC this year as a backup?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I've followed him since his days at Taft as well, and back then we didn't get as much info from the organization on prospects as we do now, but the consensus (from scouting reports that were available) was that Pacioretty was a ''playmaking powerforward'', kind of the same label McCarron has right now. My point was perceptions of players change over time.

We are saying the same thing then. :laugh:

I just think Timmins always knew what he was getting. (A Sniper)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That's funny cause Dustin Walsh and Joe Stejskal were at our rookie camps multiple times and even to main camp (very shortly) at least one each. (And I didn't count camps after Stejskal turned pro)

The difference with Walsh and Stejskal is that Dartmouth is one of the very few schools that start their fall semester late. Most start around the last week of August or first week of Sept but Dartmouth doesn't start classes mid Sept so they could attend the main camp and not miss any time just can't stay for the full length of camp.

The one thing that bugs me is his commitment to Alaska Fairbanks. Even though some NHLers did come out of there it's just not a program that has produced a lot of pro caliber players in it's history. I would have been more comfortable with him going to Anchorage or out of the WCHA entirely if possible to be frank. But choosing the right school environment is super important and I do understand he probably based his choice , with his family, on a lot of factors that are outside of the hockey realm.

Agreed especially now that the NCAA did a big shakeup in the conferences, the new WCHA is much weaker then it was which likely means a softer schedule and weaker comp.

Seemed that there was an opening for him to go Juniors....I would love to see that....but I don't see it as clearly the Habs management WANTS that 2014 draft to be a big time development draft. They seem to WANT 5 years out of Hawkey and Koberstein.

Would be great if he went the CHL route instead of another year in the AJHL and then on to the WCHA. I don't mind Hawkey going back to the USHL as he isn't going to get ice time next season in the NCAA as Providence should be highly rated as they didn't lose much.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
If Audette would of been drafted by anybody else than Sherbrooke there's no way in hell he would of been available in the 4th round. My only eish for this kid is to ve traded so that he can stop being a 1-man show.
I'll go as far as saying that if he was to get traded before the season starts, it's a 100 point season next year AT THE VERY LEAST. Kid had almost 30 points more than anybody on his team as a 17 year old.

Dude, don't diss on Sherbrooke. The organization is solid and competent, you can't expect an expansion team to dominate off the bat... They started the team with unwanted players from around the league and lots of rookies.

Audette plays with arguably the best 97' Canadian D in Roy. He's now got support offensively with the arrivals of Schweri, Storto, Lafontaine and O'Brien. It's not a two-man show anymore for Sherbrooke, Audette and Roy will have backup this year.

Playing for the Phoenix certainly didn't bring a winning culture for Daniel so far, but it gave him a lot of room for quality ice-time. He played in every situation because of how weak the forward corpse was. On most teams he probably would have never hit the ice on PK, but he was a mainstay in that situation last season for Sherbooke.

If you compare his situation to a guy like Aubé-Kubel, who was also a first rounder in 2012 in the 'Q Draft, Audette has had much more ice and responsibilities. He is a leader for Sherbrooke. Audette faced tough opposition, certainly tougher than Aubé-Kubel who was playing in the shade of Mantha. Of course, you always want the team to have success, but it's not all bad that Sherbrooke was a bottom league team for the first two years of its existence in Audette's case. He has learned and faced a lot more than most 96' forwards.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The difference with Walsh and Stejskal is that Dartmouth is one of the very few schools that start their fall semester late. Most start around the last week of August or first week of Sept but Dartmouth doesn't start classes mid Sept so they could attend the main camp and not miss any time just can't stay for the full length of camp.

True. But other players have also done it like Kristo (not main camp but dev. camp and rookie camp). Anyway, my point was more about I doubt an invitee would come when he continually have to pay his own expenses.

Madevilz

Nov 9, 2003
Montreal
You fellows lucky to be able to take in these things. I live a thousand miles away, never get the chance. Probably best thing because i'd likely die of heart attack on the spot. Just the sheer shock of being in awe. I've never been to NHL caliber rink before nor met NHL player

I live 5 min from the Brossard training center, went there only like twice, and they cancelled one of the practice lol.
Just too bad they always train in the morning, not work friendly :shakehead

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Thanks for all your reports...I look forward to your perspective.
Do you think Hawkey has a shot at the USA WJC this year as a backup?

Doesn't seem to be nowhere near it....Summer camp included Burke, Demko, Halverson and Nedeljkovic. Hawkey was named goalie of the year so if that would count for something for them, he would have been invited. Not sure what he will be able to do more to be invited without having been seen in the summer. Everything is possible....all those goalies can fall on their face....but I just doubt it.

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Hype generator

Jiri Sekac !

From these highlights at dev camp, he seems to have good stick handling, NHL speed, some good boardwork. Passes in the skates on 2 occasions (funny as it IS a highlight clip).

Seems NHL ready. I see a bit of Max Pac in his game.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
That's it, I'm sold ! Give him the freaking ''C'' and get this season started ! :yo:

But seriously there's some clear skills there, if he can sustain that throughout the rookie camp AND the main camp we might really have stumble on a gem there. And the best part is he cost us basically nothing. :nod:

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia

Jiri Sekac !

From these highlights at dev camp, he seems to have good stick handling, NHL speed, some good boardwork. Passes in the skates on 2 occasions (funny as it IS a highlight clip).

Seems NHL ready
. I see a bit of Max Pac in his game.

Nice video. He was dangling around them like it was nothing. Keep in mind though, most of the people he was playing against are not even remotely close to NHL caliber.

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
Some nice dangles, some of which would probably get him killed in an NHL game. Doesn't seem very physical but at the same time doesn't seem to shy away from an incoming hit. Saw him use his body to separate a player from the puck. At times, the opposition seemed just too weak. Kinda looked like a gifted player playing kids on an outdoor rink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad