Habs defense what needs to be fixed?

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
Our D is good but Emelin getting injured hurt us. Bealiou is inexperienced and it showed this game. Improvements: hope Tinordi develops

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Markov???????
Emelin???????

Need to add one or two solid UFA top 4 dman.
(PK Subban needs help...he can't do it all by himself).

Gorges - PK Subban
Markov?? - Emelin??
Tinordi/Beaulieu - Weaver
Beaulieu
Murray? (as protector only vs Bruins/Leafs/Sens,etc)
UFA (solid #6-7 dman with size)

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Bouillion Gone
Murray Gone

Markov (2-3yrs), Subban(8yrs), Weaver(1 year) re-signed.
D.Boyle signed for 2-years
Tinordi/Beaulieu with the big team

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Beaulieu/Tinordi - Boyle
Weaver

DanltQC

Mar 23, 2013
Gatineau
Emelin is not going anywhere. He just signed a four year contract. I say trade Gorges and bring up tinordi and beaulieu.

Tinordi - Subban
Emelin - Beaulieu
Markov - Weaver/Pateryn

Markov needs to play way less and here we get a good mix of veteran with youngsters.

Alexander Edler*

PK looked lost this series. Almost like a completely different player. Add that to the fact that Gorges, Markov and Emelin also all looked lost... let's just hope some of the kids develop quicker than expected.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
I see our D being a problem next year. Pk is sweet but Gorges isn't a suitable partner. He needs a true #2 to his number one. If we can get a mobile, puck moving, and strong defensively defensemen besides him, we become true cup contenders, as simple as that. Markov can come back but he's a #3-4 defensemen at best.

Ideally we would have something like this

True #2 - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Tinordi/Beaulieu
Weaver

Honestly speaking, McDonagh would have been perfect.

maybe in 90m cap world.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Next year will see Tinordi and Beaulieu full time, and maybe Nygren and Pateryn. It will be a young D, but with PK, Markov, Emelyn and Georges as experienced leaders, I think that they will be alright come playoffs. We need to give our prospects a chance at maturing in the league over a season.

An equal problem is our forwards, and we have need maybe an upgrade on DD which could be Galchenyuk soon, and maybe a speedy big forward. We have the parts, we just need to graduate some talent and maybe get some free agents of off-season signings to shore us up.

I think Budaj will be gone next year in place for Tolkarski, so we will have some extra budget.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I bet MB kicks the tires on Edler. Under the Torts system Weise was squeezed out, could be Edlers problems this year have more to do with Torts than his skill set going

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Emelin was injured
We need a top shutdown to play with Subban.

If we don't bring Markov back.

Subban - ???
Emelin - Gorges
Beaulieu - Weaver
Tinordi

Edit: random positions i know

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Bouillion Gone
Murray Gone

Markov (2-3yrs), Subban(8yrs), Weaver(1 year) re-signed.
D.Boyle signed for 2-years
Tinordi/Beaulieu with the big team

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Beaulieu/Tinordi - Boyle
Weaver

Boyle is not a bad signing. Good point. But I just don't like a Gorges-Subban pairing. And I don't think I could do with Emelin and his really average IQ to play with a slowing down Markov. Those pairings aren't good enough to go further. To Emelin's defense.....play him on his natural side though just to see....

Last edited:

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Boyle
Nikitin
Greene
Robidas
Orpik

Might all be guys Bergevin will look at.

They all bring something to the table. Robidas if his leg is fine I think would be a solid #5 guy for the Habs paired with youth. He is still involved offensively, a bit nasty, and can fight.

A wild card could be Pitkanen depending on if he is ready and see how his game is he could go cheap. Just got to make sure he is fully healed.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Priorities should be to find a real partner for Subban (a Seabrook to his Keith) and playing Emelin on his proper side. And it goes without saying that Beaulieu and Tinordi should be full time with the big club.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Priorities should be to find a real partner for Subban (a Seabrook to his Keith) and playing Emelin on his proper side. And it goes without saying that Beaulieu and Tinordi should be full time with the big club.

You really wonder how much the Habs management think about playing a guy on his natural side. I mean, is it even a concern? Will always remember the Spacek acquisition and how he was stunned to learn that he'd play on his off side.....and couldn,t do it, as much a veteran he was. Can the Habs like wake up and realize it?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

People keep talking about McDonagh and yes...he is great. But who the **** is Girardi on our team? Gorges? Sorry....Girardi eats 2 Gorges every breakfast. Subban was paired with Gorges, Markov and Bouillon. While McDonagh had Girardi all year long. So not only you have a familiarity there, but Girard is a much better d-man that Gorges and Bouillon. And often was Markov not as good as Girardi was.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
You really wonder how much the Habs management think about playing a guy on his natural side. I mean, is it even a concern? Will always remember the Spacek acquisition and how he was stunned to learn that he'd play on his off side.....and couldn,t do it, as much a veteran he was. Can the Habs like wake up and realize it?
Indeed. Emelin must be moved to the LH side next season. He simply doesn't have the smarts nor speed to play on the RH side.

We have a logjam of left-hand shooting D on the roster heading into next year, even after expunging Bouillon & Murray. We've got Markov, Gorges, Emelin, Beaulieu, Tinordi, and even Drewiske all shooting left. Meanwhile only PK and Weaver shoot right, along with Pateryn and Nygren.

I think it would be wise of Bergevin to consider dealing one of the LH shooters to shore up the RH side.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The defense has been a big problem. The 3 goal lead in less than 4 minutes and the complete lack of control, along with the 3 goals scored on break aways last game. Something seriously needs to be tweaked in the off season. If this team is going to be a cup contending team every year, the back needs to be addressed. Our defense has been our weakness for a very long time. We've addressed it with a few players and new youngsters, but we still have useless players and old players. Teams like Los Angeles and Chicago don't do what the Habs do on consistent basis.

I find the defense is better than the forwards right now.

In the playoffs everybody's defense has rough patches, the game is played at 100 MPH and guys are banged up.

Subban had a rough 3rd round and was only ok vs Boston, but no way he gets moved. I think the defense can go from good to great if Beaulieu and Tinordi reach full potential and others fill in depth wise.

Subban can be a star when his head is on right, Gorges and Emelin are solid depth, just need a couple more "horses". That's where Beaulieu and Tinordi's development is key and Markov bridges the gap.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Gorges is pretty good at two things: getting totally wrecked by opposing players and shifting the momentum to the other team.

yeah, outside of his shot blocking theres not much to get excited over. He like Emelin makes some serious blunders with the puck on his stick.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Subban can be a star when his head is on right, Gorges and Emelin are solid depth, just need a couple more "horses". That's where Beaulieu and Tinordi's development is key and Markov bridges the gap.

You don't play "solid depth" in the first pairing. And Emelin will become a solid depth the day he plays on his natural side. He was not solid on his wrong side.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I wonder if we really have to bring anyone in from outside the organization?

We have Beaulieu, Nygren, Tinordi & Pateryn. Obviously not all four will make it.

Beaulieu has shown he can play if he's given protected minutes for his first year.

Nygren we'll have to wait till training camp to see how much he has developed from last year.

Tinordi - the fact that they didn't use him in the playoffs may indicate they feel he needs another year or half year in the A.

Pateryn is a question mark. He looks ready but they didn't bother to play him. I'm guessing training camp will dictate what they do with him.

And there's always the wild card - Drewiske. Could he rebound to fill in as 6th-7th d-man?

Bouillon & Murray I feel are gone so that leaves (in order of importance):

Subban
Markov
Gorges
Weaver
Emelin

There's an obvious drop off from Markov to Gorges. Can Beaulieu or Nygren take up the slack? Maybe not at the beginning of the year but maybe towards the end.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Indeed. Emelin must be moved to the LH side next season. He simply doesn't have the smarts nor speed to play on the RH side.

We have a logjam of left-hand shooting D on the roster heading into next year, even after expunging Bouillon & Murray. We've got Markov, Gorges, Emelin, Beaulieu, Tinordi, and even Drewiske all shooting left. Meanwhile only PK and Weaver shoot right, along with Pateryn and Nygren.

I think it would be wise of Bergevin to consider dealing one of the LH shooters to shore up the RH side.
Gorges for Doughty! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad