Habs defense what needs to be fixed?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I agree with not making big changes. I would re-sign Markov and Weaver, let the rest go:

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Beaulieu-Weaver

Then have Tinordi, Pateryn, Nygren fight it out for the last two spots, assuming we're carrying 8D.

Nothing other than Beaulieu/Weaver helps us un this line up.
We DO NOT Have the quality required in our Top 4 to strike fear into the hearts of anyone.
Top 4 right handed D required immediately...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Defense is fine. Look at this forward group, then look at the forward group on LA and Chicago. In there you will find the clue to what needs to improve.

Not fine at all this D does not = Cup.
Isn't that the end game?

Forwards for another thread...

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
move gorges + emelin for some good pieces, gorges for something like mcginn + talbot and emelin for braun. next season:

mcginn - galchenyuk - gallagher (2nd line)
talbot - DLR - weise (4th line)

D-core:

markov - subban
beaulieu - braun
tinordi - weaver

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
What's wrong with you guys - we're a top team in the league and our system isn't a trap, why fix what clearly isn't broken??

Gorges is criminally underrated, you guys can't tell proper positioning if it boxed you out and neutralized your attacking movement.

Seriously. Gorges isn't a joke at 4m. He doesn't have brain cramps and he doesn't get injured. He's worth exactly what he's paid.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Not fine at all this D does not = Cup.
Isn't that the end game?

Forwards for another thread...

Disagree. Better possession, more sustained pressure, better faceoff success, bigger more physical play from the forwards are the missing attributes.

A defense Corp of Subban, Markov, Gorges, Emelin, Tinordi, Beaulieu stacks up nicely. Forward line 1 and 2 doesn't.

It's like that Malaysian plane Mh370. Everyone looking in the wrong place.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
What's wrong with you guys - we're a top team in the league and our system isn't a trap, why fix what clearly isn't broken??

Gorges is criminally underrated, you guys can't tell proper positioning if it boxed you out and neutralized your attacking movement.

Seriously. Gorges isn't a joke at 4m. He doesn't have brain cramps and he doesn't get injured. He's worth exactly what he's paid.

Exactly, why only use 2 players that are able to move the puck if you are gonna play a breakout pass system to get out the zone? That's why the Habs do so many god damn icings.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Our defense will get a nice new look when Tinordi and Beaulieu replace Bouillon and Murray. But that's the only change I'd make. The rest of the guys are fine in their roles. It's not the 70's. Everybody has their roles and warts and little rough spells. Overall though, there are more good things than bad about all of them.

There could be some systematic tweaks to the way the team plays which could make some look a little better, and a couple individuals could start trying a few specific tweaks to their repertoire as well, but that's on the coaching staff to identify and then re-inforce with the players in question. It's not something that needs big changes personnel-wise.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
Well, you have to develop them. I agree that 4 rookies may be extreme but teams all over the NHL are ready to play rookies every year. Its not like Subban was out of place during his rookie year. We keep locking guys like Gorges, Emelin for 4m while some young guys are way cheaper and ready. This is a type of mistake we keep doing.

No, the mistake would be bringing in 4 rookies who'se play will take at the very least 2-3 years to reach the level of what guys like Emelin and Gorges are already doing... Get off your magic cloud man.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Sigh.

-They need Gorges unless they can get 3 or more really good Ds
-Beaulieu just hasn't been scored on this year. Next year see how he does when he isn't sheltered
-Tinordi wasn't ready this year but he should be soon
-Habs need Emelin at least until they have another big hitter ready
-Tinordi should not be rushed
-Beaulieu should not be turfed
-Nygren may not work out in the NHL, nor Pateryn. Markov could be needed for another few years.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
We need to stop relying on second pairing guys like Markov(slowing down) and Gorges to play huge minutes. We need someone who can play with PK and keep up.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

People look at the 4 million figure and fail to realize what that type of money gets you these days for a d-man on the ufa market. Its not the days where brisebois was making 4 mil and was the highest paid d-man on the team.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Disagree. Better possession, more sustained pressure, better faceoff success, bigger more physical play from the forwards are the missing attributes.

A defense Corp of Subban, Markov, Gorges, Emelin, Tinordi, Beaulieu stacks up nicely. Forward line 1 and 2 doesn't.

It's like that Malaysian plane Mh370. Everyone looking in the wrong place.

I'm willing to admit that we are weak up front Top 9 L/R balance and size.
I'm also willing to admit that addressing this issue should help in the Dzone.
But I'm not enamoured with our Top 4 and I find that they are very much over-rated and lack mobility.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
First of all : Get rid of Emelin

Yes, do it backwards. Yemelin is what you need, not what you want to get rid of. apparently Therien will never realise how he should be used. NA coaches are so... NA.

Etienne

Oct 25, 2008
Montréal
The first one who needs to go is who the **** is responsible for the system in Habs' zone. It's been putrid all year and exposed badly by the Bruins and the Rangers. The wingers are way to far from the D and the results are stretch passes to immobile forwards along the board who are either pressured immediately or they just ****ing tip the long passes into the offensive zone as a dump-and-chase play or an icing. I dont like Bouillon, Gorges and Emelin but to me they are victims of a poorly planned, ridiculously predictable defensive system.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Our defense will get a nice new look when Tinordi and Beaulieu replace Bouillon and Murray. But that's the only change I'd make. The rest of the guys are fine in their roles. It's not the 70's. Everybody has their roles and warts and little rough spells. Overall though, there are more good things than bad about all of them.

There could be some systematic tweaks to the way the team plays which could make some look a little better, and a couple individuals could start trying a few specific tweaks to their repertoire as well, but that's on the coaching staff to identify and then re-inforce with the players in question. It's not something that needs big changes personnel-wise.
This.

PK,Markov,Beaulieu,Gorges,Tinordi,Emelin,Weaver... looks good to me.

Willis Jenks

Nov 19, 2013
I see our D being a problem next year. Pk is sweet but Gorges isn't a suitable partner. He needs a true #2 to his number one. If we can get a mobile, puck moving, and strong defensively defensemen besides him, we become true cup contenders, as simple as that. Markov can come back but he's a #3-4 defensemen at best.

Ideally we would have something like this

True #2 - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Tinordi/Beaulieu
Weaver

Honestly speaking, McDonagh would have been perfect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad