Habs defense what needs to be fixed?

Habs_Apostle

Feb 22, 2004
Give me a break. The D is weak with or without Price.

Well I didn't mean to suggest they were strong per se; rather, I just meant that with Price there's less panic to their game. Of course, the way Price handles the puck back there, it's almost like having another D.

Last edited:

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Jared Tinordi, Greg Pateryn, Magnus Nygren In

Gorges, Emelin out in the off season

What needs to be fixed? Our d lacks size and some consistent play. Markov, Subban arent exactly stellar defensively. Gorges can play d but brings zero offence. Emelin is bad and Weaver is a good 6th-7d nothing else. You can already see the importance of Beaulieu.

There is a hole to be filled that can be done by youngsters or a UFA signing this summer.

:laugh:

Is Nygren even NHL caliber at this point? Pateryn is a bottom pairing D and Tinordi, as of right now, is barely a Top 4 D man. Gorges can play a lot of minutes, something Tinordi cannot do at this point. He'll get there eventually. He's a defenseman, they take time to develop. I'll be happy if both Beaulieu and Tinordi play 60 games each next year.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
size speed strength, some of the goals tonight where unexceptable, I believe it was Markov had a man in front he scored all markov had to do was push him out of the way or lift his stick he couldn't do either

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
1. Get rid of Gorges
2. Give a regular spot to Beaulieu, and live with his ups and downs
3. Replace Gorges by a cheaper guy who's not out there solely to play goalie

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
another top 4RD with mobility would be best.

Niskanen would be ideal.

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Niskanen
Beaulieu-Weaver
Tinordi-Pateryn

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
another top 4RD with mobility would be best.

Niskanen would be ideal.

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Niskanen
Beaulieu-Weaver
Tinordi-Pateryn

I hope the Habs don't reach out to Niskanen this summer. Too much of an unproven player to get the 6M contract he'll probably get. Reminds me of Jason Garrison, but weaker defensively, and potentially banking more than him because of the stacked PP he plays on.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Niskanen reminds me of Matt Carle...with that being said he's much more mobile than Andrei Markov. Boyle or Niskanen could really help the mobility of the defense but Markov would be proabbly be cheaper. here's how I see it:

- Matt Niskanen - 5 years - 5,500,000 per season

- Dan Boyle - 3 years - 6,000,000 per season

- Andrei Markov - 2 years - 5,750,000 per season

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Jared Tinordi, Greg Pateryn, Magnus Nygren In

Gorges, Emelin out in the off season.

Seems like a large influx of kids, which MT would never live with. That said, I would like to see the kids given a chance to compete with the Gorges' and the Emelins for a starting position. Beaulieu is already outperforming those latter two. Actively work in the other three kids over the next season, one stint at a time, and give the starting spot(s) to the best player(s). Use the wealth of Ds to upgrade at wing, perhaps the following season, while trading away one of the vets. I would think that a team like Colorado would make an interesting partner.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Can't believe how hard some people are ragging on Gorges, as stated several times he is probably the best shot blocker in the NHL combined over the last 5 seasons, you don't throw that away. He and Weaver or a Weaver type are needs. Trading Gorges would be absolutely dumb unless you get a better version in return.

Gorges - Subban

Emelin - XXXXX (Markov/Boyle/Niskanen)

Beaulieu or Tinordi - Weaver

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Resigning Markov would be a start.

Niskanen would be a good addition, but for that to happen we'd have to move one of Gorges or Emelin. Unless Bergevin is fine with having a 3rd pair defenseman being paid 4M a year.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
I wouldn't mind trading one of Emelin or Gorges if either of Beaulieu or Tinordi makes a big leap in development next year. But, I'd want to get some good value for them. No sense in trading top-4-ish defensemen that bring interesting qualities to table for scraps just to make place for rookies that might not be ready to take on those responsibilities.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
Gotta say though that the NYR acquiring Klein for MDZ is looking like a mighty fine trade right now, especially considering Klein's 2.9M cap hit for the next 4 years.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Gotta say though that the NYR acquiring Klein for MDZ is looking like a mighty fine trade right now, especially considering Klein's 2.9M cap hit for the next 4 years.

Klein is basically Gorges - if not better than Gorges -, at an actual acceptable salary for what he brings. Not to reopen the "Gorges is overpaid" can of worms, though.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Defense is fine. Look at this forward group, then look at the forward group on LA and Chicago. In there you will find the clue to what needs to improve.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
I think Tinordi is exactly the kind of player the D is lacking. Size and speed in one player. He will be a wonderful addition to it, next season.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
Klein is basically Gorges - if not better than Gorges -, at an actual acceptable salary for what he brings. Not to reopen the "Gorges is overpaid" can of worms, though.

Yep, plus he's right-handed. The guy would be the perfect complement to Markov on that 2nd pairing for us right now. :laugh:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Defence is definitely our biggest weakness at the moment. Though if we don't replace Vanek then that's an equally big hole.

I would say they lack size in the top-4 and a true shutdown defenceman. The biggest guy is 6'2 and the average is under 6'1. Gorges is a good defensive defenceman but would be better served on the second pairing rather than the 1st.

But at the end of the day I don't even think it's the personal on D that is the problem, it's the system/structure or lack thereof. Not many teams have a 1-2 punch like Subban/Markov and both Gorges and Emelin are legitimate top-4 guys as well. It's not the perfect mix but it's better on paper than on the ice.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

We just shut down two of the best offenses in the league in Tampa and Boston. NY's speed is a bad matchup for us, but you can't excel vs everything and we did a much better job after we made adjustments for game 2, even without Price to back us up.

Re-sign Markov and Weaver, stop *****ing about Gorges, and let the kids develop at their own pace.

Should the Rangers blow it up because we put up 7 goals on them yesterday? How about the Hawks after getting torched by the low-scoring Kings this series?

We had only two forwards who put up 50 points this year, yet it's our D that needs to be addressed? Does anyone really expect Bourque, Eller, Briere and Weise to keep contributing like this next year, over a full season? FFS even our farm team can't score goals.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

We just shut down two of the best offenses in the league in Tampa and Boston. NY's speed is a bad matchup for us, but you can't excel vs everything and we did a much better job after we made adjustments for game 2, even without Price to back us up.

Re-sign Markov and Weaver, stop *****ing about Gorges, and let the kids develop at their own pace.

Should the Rangers blow it up because we put up 7 goals on them yesterday? How about the Hawks after getting torched by the low-scoring Kings this series?

We had only two forwards who put up 50 points this year, yet it's our D that needs to be addressed? Does anyone really expect Bourque, Eller, Briere and Weise to keep contributing like this next year, over a full season? FFS even our farm team can't score goals.

i agree. we have two legit top pairing d-men in subban and markov, two legit 2nd pairing d-men in gorges and emelin, a very good #5 in weaver and two rookies with great potential to fill #6 spot next year.

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
I agree with not making big changes. I would re-sign Markov and Weaver, let the rest go:

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Beaulieu-Weaver

Then have Tinordi, Pateryn, Nygren fight it out for the last two spots, assuming we're carrying 8D.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Can't believe how hard some people are ragging on Gorges, as stated several times he is probably the best shot blocker in the NHL combined over the last 5 seasons, you don't throw that away. He and Weaver or a Weaver type are needs. Trading Gorges would be absolutely dumb unless you get a better version in return.

Gorges - Subban

Agreed Gorges is very competitive but..
Blocking shots is not a stat i want to lead in. I prefer the puck in the other end of the rink thank you.
He is not gifted enough for Top 4 status.
If he was able to add even a modicum of physicality to his repertoire he might make the grade.
We need to face facts he is an offensive black hole. This is one upgrade we need to see asap.
Josh will always be 5-6 in my mind but not on this team the kids will ultimately be better than him.
I seem to remember him playing some useful hockey on RD paired with Markov under JM and could never figure out why MT has never used that config. I would have prefered that over Emelin but i think our upgrade HAS to be right handed. Josh probably provides us with the greatest market value so he is my obvious candidate for trade.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002

Gorges - Subban

Here we go again, the one stat everyone can bring up about Gorges, it's like he had a press release years ago brainwashing the fans. How many has wonderboy put in our own net, because of his deflections, and getting in the way of the shot?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad