Post-Game Talk: Habs defeat the Rags in SO

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I've never understood this. Aren't goalies part of the team.

It's like when Leafs fans say to us....well you wouldn't have got to the cup finals without Price. Uhhhhh okay.

I honestly hated when Bergevin came out with this idea.

As a fan base, as an organization, you wish to see your team aspire to be more than headless chicken who get bailed out by your goalie.

Yes the goalie is part of the team, but hockey is much more than what goes around the goalie paint.

Fatbiggie

Unregistered User
Jul 30, 2005
1704662628955.png

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I honestly hated when Bergevin came out with this idea.

As a fan base, as an organization, you wish to see your team aspire to be more than headless chicken who get bailed out by your goalie.

Yes the goalie is part of the team, but hockey is much more than what goes around the goalie paint.
Remove any teams best player and many things fall. It just so happens our best player was our goalie. I see no problem in that.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Remove any teams best player and many things fall. It just so happens our best player was our goalie. I see no problem in that.

In the result perhaps.

Remove Price from those teams, and yes we'd lose more instead of winning, but we were just as atrocious collectively.

That was the real problem, the team had no depth and played badly, not that the goalie was our best player.

Using the "It so happens that the goalie is our best player" was a cop out for the warranted critics, it's not like Bergevin was going to say "Yeah, our team plays like crap, but Carey saves our bacon".

It doesn't mean that I have to pretend that I enjoy the hockey I'm watching just because we're winning.

Reactions: Kimota

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
In the result perhaps.

Remove Price from those teams, and yes we'd lose more instead of winning, but we were just as atrocious collectively.

That was the real problem, the team had no depth and played badly, not that the goalie was our best player.

Using the "It so happens that the goalie is our best player" was a cop out for the warranted critics, it's not like Bergevin was going to say "Yeah, our team plays like crap, but Carey saves our bacon".

It doesn't mean that I have to pretend that I enjoy the hockey I'm watching just because we're winning.

The Habs were a good team at the Price peak. They pretty much had all the important peices aside from a top center. That's what separated them from being a great team.

It was also easy to conclude that Price was the sole reason for their success because their backups often did not get good team results. But it should be noted that the results were the way they were because their backups just weren't that good, in general.

Reactions: barbu

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The Habs were a good team at the Price peak. They pretty much had all the important peices aside from a top center. That's what separated them from being a great team.

It was also easy to conclude that Price was the sole reason for their success because their backups often did not get good team results. But it should be noted that the results were the way they were because their backups just weren't that good, in general.
The number 2 were not great but the team still had a higher P% than 500 with them in net. From 2012-2013 to 2019-2020 the CH had a 90-83-29 record with their number 2 and 3 goalies (Mike Condon, Peter Budaj, Antti Niemi, Charlie Lindgren, Al Montoya, Dustin Tokarski, Ben Scrivens, Cayden Primeau, Keith Kinkaid).

Reactions: Runner77

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
It's funny how north American fans get their undergarments in a knot with the Ole chant.

It's just a harmless chant not much different than "go team go". But people somehow equate "ole" to some form of taunt (which it isnt) like the na na goodbye song, and even if it was, just loosen up guys.

Crowd festivities add to the in game experience, unless you're a North American hockey fan where he have a bunch of fun police members.
I understand your point my friend,however I just find that chant unbearable mainly because it equates to soccer, a sport I totally abhor! Sorry for any prejudice, just the way I feel.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The number 2 were not great but the team still had a higher P% than 500 with them in net. From 2012-2013 to 2019-2020 the CH had a 90-83-29 record with their number 2 and 3 goalies (Mike Condon, Peter Budaj, Antti Niemi, Charlie Lindgren, Al Montoya, Dustin Tokarski, Ben Scrivens, Cayden Primeau, Keith Kinkaid).

Yeah I made sure that I said they "often" didn't have a good backup because there were some exceptions. Budaj at one point was playing so well that the question was asked if the Habs have the best tandem in the league, however, by the end of the 2013 playoffs, I think budaj lost the faith of the coaching staff.

Early Condon was good too. He basically imploded when price went out for the whole year. Condon couldn't carry the load.

Anything after 2017, I don't really qualify as peak habs because those teams had significantly downgraded and the team itself just wasn't as good anymore.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I understand your point my friend,however I just find that chant unbearable mainly because it equates to soccer, a sport I totally abhor! Sorry for any prejudice, just the way I feel.

It's bigger than football, even. Chanting and singing is just part of fan culture everywhere outside of North American pro sports.

It doesn't matter the sport, fans across the world are typically on their feet, chanting and singing throughout.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

No matter who you put in net, the team bled grade A chances, was constantly hemmed in their own end and couldn't sustain pressure in the OZ to save their lives. The main difference is that Price was an exceptional game manager, his rebound control was exceptional so he often slowed down the opponent's momentum by himself.

Take him away from the team and that's how you end up with .880 goaltending like our backups got us used to.

The habs weren't just a top C away, the make up of the team in general was poor. You will never win with a soft team filled with misfits in important roles.

Reactions: OldCraig71

LV426

Oct 28, 2021
New Brunswick

Love it or hate it. At least this fan base shows excitement, energy and enthusiasm in games. Not like some of the morgues they call hockey games in this league.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
No matter who you put in net, the team bled grade A chances, was constantly hemmed in their own end and couldn't sustain pressure in the OZ to save their lives. The main difference is that Price was an exceptional game manager, his rebound control was exceptional so he often slowed down the opponent's momentum by himself.

Take him away from the team and that's how you end up with .880 goaltending like our backups got us used to.

The habs weren't just a top C away, the make up of the team in general was poor. You will never win with a soft team filled with misfits in important roles.

I disagree. As an example, even with tokarski, the Habs pushed the Rangers to game 6 despite his complete lack of ability to move the puck. And we can also see in retrospect that Tokarski is generally a #3 guy at the NHL level.

With price, they probably advance to the fonal in 6 or 7 instead of losing in 6.

I think we just have a bias to crap on that era because most of us didn't like the guys in charge, but there's alot of teams back then who would have wished to have what montreal had. I mean, a top three of Markov, subban, and petry at one point is really good as well.

Give pacioretty a top center to work with, and they would have entered that elite tier.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
In the result perhaps.

You don't have to pretend anything. Whatever floats your boat.

I just get a little uncomfortable when people say....Ha the Habs would have sucked without Price. Sure.....but the Oilers would suck without McDavid.

A top of the line goalie can be as important as a top of the line forward. We just get so fascinated with the McDavid's, Bedard's, Matthew's of the world, that we lose site of the fact that an entire team is made up of so much more than a "single player". Who cares that our "single player" was our goalie! The sum of our parts got us to the finals recently. That is all that counts in the end.

Reactions: Theodore450

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I disagree. As an example, even with tokarski, the Habs pushed the Rangers to game 6 despite his complete lack of ability to move the puck. And we can also see in retrospect that Tokarski is generally a #3 guy at the NHL level.

With price, they probably advance to the fonal in 6 or 7 instead of losing in 6.

I think we just have a bias to crap on that era because most of us didn't like the guys in charge, but there's alot of teams back then who would have wished to have what montreal had. I mean, a top three of Markov, subban, and petry at one point is really good as well.

Give pacioretty a top center to work with, and they would have entered that elite tier.

1- The rangers were not that good either. Tokarski almost taking them the distance says it all.

2- We didn't like the guys in charge because we knew the team was poorly built despite:

-Having good regular season records/making the playoffs
-Spending up to the cap
-Having an elite goalie and goalscorer.

It wasn't just because. It just further proves my point. The team was no good outside of the goalie.

3-The habs had too much of a brief window with that "core" to be considered an elite team. They were never considered contenders because the style of hockey they played wasn't sustainable in the playoffs. The main factor was how hot could the goalie get and we had the hottest goalie in the planet. Most teams who've won the cup in the past couple of decades have one thing in common; They're great at 5 on 5. The habs weren't, they blocked shots and they countered.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
You don't have to pretend anything. Whatever floats your boat.

I just get a little uncomfortable when people say....Ha the Habs would have sucked without Price. Sure.....but the Oilers would suck without McDavid.

A top of the line goalie can be as important as a top of the line forward. We just get so fascinated with the McDavid's, Bedard's, Matthew's of the world, that we lose site of the fact that an entire team is made up of so much more than a "single player". Who cares that our "single player" was our goalie! The sum of our parts got us to the finals recently. That is all that counts in the end.

There you go, the oilers are not a good team with or without McDavid. As much as they get into the playoffs and win in the regular season, the hockey world knows that if McDavid isn't pulling magic out of his ass, their team sucks. It is not a recipe for playoff success. We were in the same position with Price.

On the other side of the coin...

Take Bergeron, Krejci away from Boston, they're still a top team and look great.

Back in their prime, take Crosby away from Pittsburgh, Malkin would stand up and they would become dangerous in a different way.

Take Matthews away from Toronto, they have the depth and structure to remain just as competitive offensively.

It can be done if an organization is ambitious enough and doesn't put results over everything. Which is why I have faith in Gorton and Hughes because they align in the same manner.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
One cup final since 1993 and it was the lockout and we got in the playoffs cause they were charitable?

Now imagine if we would have had elite players at other positions.

We got to the finals primarily due to having the biggest, meanest dcorps in the league a great goalie and our top two centers were erasing our opponents top two centers. If we weren't decimated by injuries at a record pace we would have easily made the playoffs under regular playoff circumstances. This nonsensical and grossly biased, agenda driven narrative that attempts to wipe out the fact that we eliminated the Leafs, Jets and Knights by claiming that we didn't deserve to be there is a sad statement about the real agenda that too many posters on this board just love to push.

Reactions: bcv

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
1- The rangers were not that good either. Tokarski almost taking them the distance says it all.

2- We didn't like the guys in charge because we knew the team was poorly built despite:

-Having good regular season records/making the playoffs
-Spending up to the cap
-Having an elite goalie and goalscorer.

It wasn't just because. It just further proves my point. The team was no good outside of the goalie.

3-The habs had too much of a brief window with that "core" to be considered an elite team. They were never considered contenders because the style of hockey they played wasn't sustainable in the playoffs. The main factor was how hot could the goalie get and we had the hottest goalie in the planet. Most teams who've won the cup in the past couple of decades have one thing in common; They're great at 5 on 5. The habs weren't, they blocked shots and they countered.

The Rangers mirrored the Habs in alot of ways. They had alot of good peices but the missing peice again was that elite center. The difference was that Price got hurt. Not having the final peice does not make a team "not that good".

Also, the length of the window does not mean the team was not good either. The length of the window was shortened due to bad management.

That year they lost Markov and radulov for nothing while signing alzner set the team back a long way. If we want to talk about mirage seasons, that was the 96 point year when domi was here, not the previous canadiens teams.

Reactions: LaP

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
We got to the finals primarily due to having the biggest, meanest dcorps in the league a great goalie and our top two centers were erasing our opponents top two centers. If we weren't decimated by injuries at a record pace we would have easily made the playoffs under regular playoff circumstances. This nonsensical and grossly biased, agenda driven narrative that attempts to wipe out the fact that we eliminated the Leafs, Jets and Knights by claiming that we didn't deserve to be there is a sad statement about the real agenda that too many posters on this board just love to push.

This D core was an embarrassment all year, it was game after game multiplying turnovers and being stuck in our zone. Without Covid, we're not in the playoffs. It was literally two lousy teams us and the Hawks that went in when we should not have been.

I will give you that they played well in the playoffs, it was a great effort all around and they deserved it. We were all there and it was magical. All I'm saying is that luck played a huge part. And that when we faced Tampa, we finally crumbled because all we had was a goalie. And then the year after, when he left, we finished last!

Reactions: Runner77

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
In the result perhaps.

Damn Right! All our lousy GMs kept saving face cause Price(or Halak) kept saying their asses from having lousy teams. That's why I wanted Bergevin to trade him when he signed him so we could have good material in return across the board. We should have rebuild a long time ago but we had Price who made us just good enough to imagine us being a good team. We used to have David Desharnais for our number one center for crying out loud.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This D core was an embarrassment all year, it was game after game multiplying turnovers and being stuck in our zone. Without Covid, we're not in the playoffs. It was literally two lousy teams us and the Hawks that went in when we should not have been.

I will give you that they played well in the playoffs, it was a great effort all around and they deserved it. We were all there and it was magical. All I'm saying is that luck played a huge part. And that when we faced Tampa, we finally crumbled because all we had was a goalie. And then the year after, when he left, we finished last!

It was price, danault, and Weber that they lost. They were destined to crash and burn with 3 key peices gone.

Luck is a funny thing though. The habs played an extremely cramped schedule after a couple covid shutdowns. They were unlucky to play that kind of cramped schedule for the final two months of the season in a division which was far too spread out. That didn't help the tailspin that they were in.

They played their final 25 games in 43 days. They never had more than one day off between games in this run, and I think they started the playoffs with only one day off too..... just madness. No wonder their guys were dropping like flies.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad